Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brooklands Last part:Planes(pic heavy)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Brooklands Last part:Planes(pic heavy)
on: July 24, 2011, 11:08:06 PM
OK last set of pixs from my Brooklands trip.

Brooklands aviation history goes all the way back to the 1900s.If you've ever seen 'Those Magnifacent Men and thier Flying Machines',it was set at Brooklands,if not in name but in intent.

During the War Vickers built Wellingtons here amongst other things,inclueding development of the Upkeep mine(The Bouncing Bomb)

So here goes!

One of the prettiest Hurricanes I've seen.She was recovered from Russia,where she'd served with Frontal Aviation against the Nazis

Vickers Vimy Bomber recreation.Vimys made the some of the first flights across the Atlantic,to Oz and Soth Africa.I was lucky to see her doing a disply at Goodwood a few years ago,utterly majestic and other worldly!

Hawker P1127,the origional Harrier/AV8.They also have the civilian registered Tmk4/Mk52 G-VTOL,but due to an infestation of kids I couldnt get a decent pic.

Supermarine Swift,very rare bird,and the lastdesign from the company that built the Spitfire.It was a heap of crap,but no less interesting!

Wellington Bomber under restoration.This old lady was rescued from Loch Ness!

And now some stuff that goes BANG!

The famous Bouncing Bomb,or to give its correct name the Upkeep mine!

Grand Slam bomb,big RAF Bunker Buster,needed specially modded Lancasters to carry it.Both of these were designed by Barnes Wallace.

Red Dean air to air missile.This is loosely similar the radar guided versions of the American Sidewinder(AIM 9B only) and Falcon.Interestingly,this project was top secret and its still a bitch of a job finding any info online about it.Couldnt believe what I was seeing!

And on the subject of top secret projects heres the Red Rapier!

hope you've all enjoyed!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Brooklands Last part:Planes(pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:46 PM
ive been to brooklands before well worth a visit - they certainly have some random stuff there!

its rather hard walking up the sloped race track to the top XD
I

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Brooklands Last part:Planes(pic heavy)
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:30 PM
ive been to brooklands before well worth a visit - they certainly have some random stuff there!

its rather hard walking up the sloped race track to the top XD

What??????1 in 5 is steep???? :pok: :rofl:

Yeh was a right climb!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $384.86
PayPal Fees: $20.11
Net Balance: $364.75
Above Goal: $64.75
Site Currency: USD
122%