Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New EDC: Leatherman Juice S2 or Fuse?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New EDC: Leatherman Juice S2 or Fuse?
Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 07:09:17 PM
You should (and most of the time people do) use the screwdrivers with the handles closed.  I can't quite imagine what you are describing and sadly my Fuse is packed away right now, so I can't have a look for myself.  Perhaps someone else might be able to chime in but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:09 PM
Thanks for the tip. Another question: am I not supposed to close the tool with either the small flat screwdriver or the Phillips screwdriver opened out? I see that during closing, the pliers seem to glide along the side of these two screwdrivers. When one of them is not inside the handle, the pliers glide along the inside of the handle itself. More specifically, it glides along the inside of the locking mechanism. Unfortunately, on the flat screwdriver side, the point of the plier scratches one of the spring's inner edges. I can already see wear on that edge along the path of scratching, while the tool is basically one day old. On the Phillips side, I am beginning to see some scratches on the spring, but not very visible wear yet for some reason. It also seems the closing action of the tool feels clearly different than usual with these screwdrivers deployed, very "choppy", with the closed handles also being aligned slightly differently than usual.

So should the tool never be closed when those screwdrivers are opened out? I have no problem with using the screwdrivers with the handles opened, but I always imagined closing the tool back up when using the screwdrivers.

I close mine in a weird way so that the pliers do not hit the walls or Philips.

I do usually close the tool back up when using screwdrivers.

it can scratch up the inside of the tool when closing it if you're not careful.
Its just the way it was designed.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

nl Offline SteelWing

Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I now know what I have been doing wrong. I used to close the tool by first rotating both handles and then finally closing the pliers. When either one of those screwdrivers is deployed, the rotation step goes a bit further than usual. This leads to the plier point reaching the inside of the handle. When the pliers are forced shut afterwards, the plier point scratches the inside of the handle a little.

Apparently, I should close the tool in another sequence. First, rotate the handle opposite of the deployed screwdriver. Then, squeeze the pliers shut. Finally, rotate the handle on the side of the deployed screwdriver. This way, the plier point does not reach the inside of the handle.

I am sure a lot of people indeed close their tool in the second manner, but I saw many videos of people closing their tool in the first manner (which seems to be more straightforward), so I also did it that way. Now I know that, there is no problem anymore. I am very satisfied with the multitool on the whole. Although, what is with that huge empty space near the lanyard hole? Is it due to the Fuse adding only the scissors on the other side compared with the Kick and the manufacturer did not feel like putting another tool implement near the lanyard hole to even things out?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 07:53:31 PM
Ah, I know what you mean now. :)  Mostly I do it something like the second way you describe, I think. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%