Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The one that got away?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The one that got away?
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 10:18:25 PM
I won't argue with that mate, beezers are a thing of beauty, I had a poster of a BSA spitfire on my wall when I was a kid :)

If you like ole brit Iron, have a look at this site mate...

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/

Not just Brit iron I like... I am partial to many Euro machines, and old iron from anywhere.

My dream bike is a WWII era Zundapp!

Well, one of my dream bikes anyway....

Def
KS750 by any chance ;)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:18 PM
I keep looking at classic bikes these days, I fancy a Matchless 'cos my grandad used to work there, or a Japanese stroker from the seventies, maybe a Mach 3 or something. Although I've got an idea about putting a GT750 lump in a modern chassis  :D

My ultimate dream would be a Honda RC30 though, blueprinted, and with HRC Suzuka 8-hour paint & bodykit  :gimme:
Let me know when the your lottery numbers come up then :D

What matchie are you aftermate, as for 70, strokers, RD400 or a bridgestone GT350 hmmm  :think:

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 11:03:10 PM
I keep looking at classic bikes these days, I fancy a Matchless 'cos my grandad used to work there, or a Japanese stroker from the seventies, maybe a Mach 3 or something. Although I've got an idea about putting a GT750 lump in a modern chassis  :D

My ultimate dream would be a Honda RC30 though, blueprinted, and with HRC Suzuka 8-hour paint & bodykit  :gimme:

What matchie are you aftermate, as for 70, strokers, RD400 or a bridgestone GT350 hmmm  :think:

I've had a coffin-tanked 400, as well as three Elsies & two Powervalves. Gotta love RDs :D I do fancy a Kettle, mostly 'cos I crashed one & it feels like there's unfinished business there. In reality I'll probably end up with an RG500 if one turns up at sensible money, not that they ever do  >:( I'm going to look at a KR1-S with a mate at the weekend too  :D

I dunno which Matchless I fancy, they all look the same to me :D
C

Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 11:07:34 PM

I've had a coffin-tanked 400, as well as three Elsies & two Powervalves. Gotta love RDs :D I do fancy a Kettle, mostly 'cos I crashed one & it feels like there's unfinished business there. In reality I'll probably end up with an RG500 if one turns up at sensible money, not that they ever do  >:( I'm going to look at a KR1-S with a mate at the weekend too  :D

I dunno which Matchless I fancy, they all look the same to me :D
Wow you've had some proper cool bike's mate, I can't say I ever much liked kettles, get a suzuki RE-5 and a huge re-morgage :D

I'm sure you know more about bikes than me, but aren't KR1-S dead unreliable, even by highly strung stroker standards

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 11:15:16 PM
I only know how to ride 'em (and fall off), I can't fix the things to save my life - it took me all morning to change my speedo cable today >:(

KR1-Ss are not as bad as their reputation, certainly not as bad as the original KR1, but they are fragile. On the other hand, it's a 136mph 250 so it's fun while it's going! There are no spare barrels left as they're used in racing hovercrafts, so you don't want to seize one too badly. A good one will make your Hornet feel like a Goldwing  :pok:
C

Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 11:18:28 PM
I only know how to ride 'em (and fall off), I can't fix the things to save my life - it took me all morning to change my speedo cable today >:(

KR1-Ss are not as bad as their reputation, certainly not as bad as the original KR1, but they are fragile. On the other hand, it's a 136mph 250 so it's fun while it's going! There are no spare barrels left as they're used in racing hovercrafts, so you don't want to seize one too badly. A good one will make your Hornet feel like a Goldwing  :pok:
Oh I don't doubt that, I've ridden an rgv 250, and that thing fecking flew :o

I think the main problem is, all the idiot teenages who thrash them from cold, and used cheap crap oil >:( ,I personnelly think they should be flogged for this, but hey thats just me >:D

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:07 PM
They can't be told :D Even on CBT they won't warm their bikes up, kick it over & rev it to 10k ??? I organised a mega-discount for anyone buying 2-stroke that did their CBT with me at a local shop. £3.70 a litre for Silkolene semi-synthetic. The little herberts still put £1.50 chainsaw oil their RS50s and wondered why bits of piston were coming out of the exhaust ;) Bring back National Service I say! :D
C

Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 11:34:12 PM
They can't be told :D Even on CBT they won't warm their bikes up, kick it over & rev it to 10k ??? I organised a mega-discount for anyone buying 2-stroke that did their CBT with me at a local shop. £3.70 a litre for Silkolene semi-synthetic. The little herberts still put £1.50 chainsaw oil their RS50s and wondered why bits of piston were coming out of the exhaust ;) Bring back National Service I say! :D
It makes you wana cry doesn't it, my dads a diesel engineer so I learnt the right way or suffered the consequences :D

As for national service, the yoof of today cause enough trouble, you want them physically fit as well :o ;) :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 06:12:55 AM
The vehicles I regretted having got away from me,were ones I never owned.When I came home from the service,I had the money but dawdled on getting a pair of cars that were for sale in my hometown,one was a '69 Jaguar XKE for $2900,that I probably could have dickered down the price,and the other was a '41 Dodge coupe in nearly mint shape for $900.
Yeah it's always painfull hindsight isn't it :cry:, and even though I don't really like cars, the E type is a lovely looking motor :)
    Centuries down the line when our descendents are all buzzing around in Jetsons cars,the E type will still be regarded as one of the most beautiful cars ever built.About 25 years or so back,several American car magazines ran articles about how to,and I hope I recall this part right,drop a small block Chevy V-8(usually a 305,or 327 CID) into a Jag,and using Ford motor mounts..of course there was some cutting involved,but there seems to have been more than a few conversions made.
I

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 06:20:23 AM
Getting this thread back on topic..which is a rarity for me :D The most unique 2 wheel motor vehicle I ever saw belongs to a close friend...a '72 Suzuki 450 cc smurfel....yes you see right ....smurfEL. Apparently these were in production for only a couple years.
I

Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 11:24:36 AM
Getting this thread back on topic..which is a rarity for me :D The most unique 2 wheel motor vehicle I ever saw belongs to a close friend...a '72 Suzuki 450 cc smurfel....yes you see right ....smurfEL. Apparently these were in production for only a couple years.
Yep thats the RE5 me and yellowhammer were talking about :)

As for taking out the original jag motor, why would you bother, the thing sounds gorgeous ???

* 1976_re5_rotary_570.jpg (Filesize: 45.25 KB)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 12:20:37 PM
That RE5 is lovely, but there's no denying that the rotary motor is ugly as sin :D
C

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 02:00:16 PM
Back when the conversions were being done,Jag parts were a tad hard to find here,and pricey as the dickens when you could find them.
 The RE5 .....shows you how much I know about Japanese bikes from back then(where's the embarrassed smiley when you need it),I have a fondness for the old Honda 360 from the '60s
I

Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 02:53:53 PM
That RE5 is lovely, but there's no denying that the rotary motor is ugly as sin :D
Yes it is, and bloody thirsty too, 25 mpg anyone?

Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 02:54:49 PM
Back when the conversions were being done,Jag parts were a tad hard to find here,and pricey as the dickens when you could find them.
 The RE5 .....shows you how much I know about Japanese bikes from back then(where's the embarrassed smiley when you need it),I have a fondness for the old Honda 360 from the '60s
What the twin?

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 02:56:42 PM
What the twin?
               That's the one, a neighbor of mine had one back then,and it looked like a fun ride.
I

Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 03:15:24 PM
What the twin?
               That's the one, a neighbor of mine had one back then,and it looked like a fun ride.
I don't think they ever made it over to these shore's, but a twin that could rev to 9k was very special back then :)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 04:24:43 PM
I've always had a bit of a thing for the YDS-1;

and while Googling for pics I found this racer that makes me feel all funny;

C

Reply #48 on: December 06, 2007, 04:28:30 PM
They must be rare as rockin horse poo these days though :(, As got the racer :drool: :drool:

Not a 60's bike I know but I always wanted a suzi, x7 :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #49 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:07 PM
While i've not yet owned a vehicle i always regret that my dad sold off the V8 Landy when i was young...that would have been so much fun! He tells me stories of pulling up next to sporty type cars and them expecting to pull away easily from the huge lump of steel next to them and my dad making them eat his dust. I really should get around to taking my test (i can drive, just not got round to taking my test) and doing up the 90 we have at home (needs new suspension and a lot of TLC!)

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #50 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:31 PM
They must be rare as rockin horse poo these days though :(, As got the racer :drool: :drool:

Me too :D The original 100mph 250. I'm still an Elsie man at heart though :D
C

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:19 PM
While i've not yet owned a vehicle i always regret that my dad sold off the V8 Landy when i was young...that would have been so much fun! He tells me stories of pulling up next to sporty type cars and them expecting to pull away easily from the huge lump of steel next to them and my dad making them eat his dust. I really should get around to taking my test (i can drive, just not got round to taking my test) and doing up the 90 we have at home (needs new suspension and a lot of TLC!)

Roadie
                  Little wonder they ate dust;the engines were originally designed from Buick engines,and it was Buick engines that were the heart and guts of the starter carts of the SR-71.
I

Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:47 PM

Roadie
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry, the car as we know it is just a dinosaur being priced out of exsitance on these shores.

Do you really want to pay all that money to sit 6 inches from the car in front ???

Sorry got all political there :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 04:44:21 PM

Me too :D The original 100mph 250. I'm still an Elsie man at heart though :D
No elsies are more than a bit special, the last one I rode was a brazilian 350 power valve, and too be honest, it was just to damn civilised :(

Reply #54 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:11 PM

Roadie
and it was Buick engines that were the heart and guts of the starter carts of the SR-71.
I didn't know that mate, mind you, you'd need a bit of torque to turn one of those monsters over :o

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 02:01:10 AM

Roadie
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry, the car as we know it is just a dinosaur being priced out of exsitance on these shores.

Do you really want to pay all that money to sit 6 inches from the car in front ???

How do yall get along over there without driving?  Where I live it would be impossible to do anything without driving a car or walking at least a mile.  Simple tasks like getting groceries or going to work for that matter are nearly impossible without having a car.  I guess that in a big city it would not be much of a problem, but I live in a small city and I would have to walk at least a mile to get to where I can get somthing to eat.  On a cold day that would suck big time.  It was 8 degrees F here when I woke up at 9:30am.  If I had to go out in that i would not be a happy camper.  :(

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 03:47:48 AM
Well, I didn't actually want to give this one up. It was my first vehicle, a 87 Mazda Pickup, and I loved it... It was just begining to get all those wonderful "character traits" so that only I knew how to make it run somewhat properly. :D It died (I killed it actually) on a cold winter day during a trip from school near Rochester NY back to Southestern PA where I live. I'm not sure why, but the engine overheated and I decided it needed more water. Only problem is that I put the cold water in a hot engine. :P If you've never tried it, I'd suggest that you don't.

And to make matters worse that was one of the first "alone" times I had with this girl I liked... It was embarassing and made for a very long day. ::) On the bright side, she still liked me, and we've been married now for almost 3 years. :)

Here's some pics from the junkyard...

* Inside.jpg (Filesize: 79.81 KB)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #57 on: December 07, 2007, 03:50:34 AM
This truck had the coolest custom cap made by the previous owner, an older Mennonite man. He must have put some thought and time into it, and it had some very neat one-of-a-kind features.

Interestingly, the white corner of a Prism in the left of this picture belonged to my dad, and when I needed a car again, he sold me that old thing. I still drive it, but I miss my truck. ;)

* Outside.jpg (Filesize: 117.86 KB)

Reply #58 on: December 07, 2007, 10:59:51 AM

Roadie

How do yall get along over there without driving?  Where I live it would be impossible to do anything without driving a car or walking at least a mile.  Simple tasks like getting groceries or going to work for that matter are nearly impossible without having a car.  I guess that in a big city it would not be much of a problem, but I live in a small city and I would have to walk at least a mile to get to where I can get somthing to eat.  On a cold day that would suck big time.  It was 8 degrees F here when I woke up at 9:30am.  If I had to go out in that i would not be a happy camper.  :(
Basically you can still drive wherever your going, but you will be stuck in traffic, and you will be forced to crawl along at little more than walking pace at certain times of the day, all the while watching the fuel gauge, move toward empty and taking a signigicant amount of money with it, as fuel is about £1.10 a litre :o

The car no longer really works, it takes too long, and costs too much, but unless you wana cycle or ride a motorbike, theres no creditable alternative at the moment, so the masses still strap themselves into there steel coffins everyday ::)

At least thats how it seems to me :D

Reply #59 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:28 AM
Well, I didn't actually want to give this one up. It was my first vehicle, a 87 Mazda Pickup, and I loved it... It was just begining to get all those wonderful "character traits" so that only I knew how to make it run somewhat properly. :D It died (I killed it actually) on a cold winter day during a trip from school near Rochester NY back to Southestern PA where I live. I'm not sure why, but the engine overheated and I decided it needed more water. Only problem is that I put the cold water in a hot engine. :P If you've never tried it, I'd suggest that you don't.

And to make matters worse that was one of the first "alone" times I had with this girl I liked... It was embarassing and made for a very long day. ::) On the bright side, she still liked me, and we've been married now for almost 3 years. :)

Here's some pics from the junkyard...
Nice story mate, you may have lost the truck, but you won the girl, so I think you made good out of the deal :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD