Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool owners club

Beerplumber · 1266 · 147785

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Re: Skeletool owners club
Reply #150 on: April 18, 2012, 04:00:05 AM
Possibly old stock. As for Leatherman, I think they only repair damaged products. I don't think they would exchange it for a newer version...but I guess you can email them and ask.
Good to know, thanks for the info.  I was wondering if the one I received was an older one or not, but until now had no way of knowing.  For now I'll just live with it unless it fails, and deal with it then.  I'm not real hard on my tools, so hopefully it won't be a problem.
This is MT.O
If you have an original Skeletool CX in good condition, put it on the Trade forum asking for a newer model PE CX. Someone who has the collecting bug will probably run right out and buy a current model Skele CX just so they can trade it for something that's now rare.  :D
Fake Edit: Not me, as my wife would kill me. And I have other MTs higher on my list. And my wife would kill me.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #151 on: April 18, 2012, 04:02:40 AM
Just tell the wife that MTs, SAKs, and flashlights are cheaper than keeping a mistresses ::) :whistle:

Oh I'm definitely using that one!  :) 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:59 AM
Just tell the wife that MTs, SAKs, and flashlights are cheaper than keeping a mistresses ::) :whistle:

Oh I'm definitely using that one!  :)
I'd love to!  But she'd smack me into next week, for sure!  Well, not smack me, but she has a way of making me wish she had, instead of the other things she does to let me know she's various levels of ticked off at me...  :facepalm:

But I'm a good boy for the most part... I'm with Chako; wife and kids always come first for me.   :angel:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #153 on: June 03, 2012, 01:12:42 AM

Defend the Hive!!!

Offline jwh

Reply #154 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:59 AM
Skeletool arrived today. Good fit and finish, nice size and weight. I am now in yet another club. LOL..
DSL tech guy at house today to replace modem. He had a Surge on him. I must say the Surge is pretty tempting.

jwh

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #155 on: June 09, 2012, 06:55:58 AM
Mower air cleaner change got ugly as the dog wanted to fight the mower and Skeletool.
7353436240_978e9fef45_c.jpg
* 7353436240_978e9fef45_c.jpg (Filesize: 411.45 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

wales Offline Stazi

Reply #156 on: June 12, 2012, 11:23:34 PM
My one and only mt for the last four or five years, after looking for something more minimal  than the gerber. And has got me out of trouble on many occasions  . Everything there to tackle the jobs mt's are built for , so a very big fan . Only drawback my early model does not have the semi-serrated blade . Would it be possible to replace it ? . I am sure one of you knows  :tu: . Count me in the club :salute:.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:23:45 AM by Stazi »
Technique and Confidence

ca Offline bladelover227

Reply #157 on: June 13, 2012, 02:40:55 AM
The  skelotool's the first Leatherman i ever had. It's been 2 years and i still love that thing!!!!

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #158 on: June 17, 2012, 07:39:53 PM
I really wish i got the CX. The serrated blade was a surprise on my skeletool. Really didnt want it. The pic of the tool was old and had the straight blade option. Nice noob move on my part. :facepalm: Until further reading on this fine fourm I was informed of the moving change. :tu: The serration is a nice option,but agressive cutting really dosent apply to my uses with the sleletool. Im sure it will be needed for some tuff stuff someday.

no Offline JRB65

• Dutchman by birth, living in Norway by choice...
Reply #159 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:36 PM
With all the people here talking about how they should have gotten/bought another version of the Skeletool, it seems that I've got the right version for my use   :tu: :multi:

IMG_0037.jpg
* IMG_0037.jpg (Filesize: 47.84 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #160 on: June 18, 2012, 04:03:32 AM
 Getting heavy gauge AWG ready for a pull is hard enough with a straight blade,serrated blades are plain dumb for stripping back wire. The skeletool blade is far better than  the sheepfoot blade I work with still. Swiss Knife Shop offered to take the tool back and replace it with the CX.Obviosly I declined and SKS apologized for the mix up. Could of would of should of. I will gripe about it till a CX falls from the sky.My Skeletool does not suit my needs.  :rant:

wales Offline Stazi

Reply #161 on: June 18, 2012, 11:46:42 PM
I really wish i got the CX. The serrated blade was a surprise on my skeletool. Really didnt want it. The pic of the tool was old and had the straight blade option. Nice noob move on my part. :facepalm: Until further reading on this fine fourm I was informed of the moving change. :tu: The serration is a nice option,but agressive cutting really dosent apply to my uses with the sleletool. Im sure it will be needed for some tuff stuff someday.

After reading your post I wondered if a " blade trade " might be an option with the Skeletool  :). I dont know if this possible  :-\. But could be a way around the problem  ;).
Technique and Confidence

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #162 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:26 PM
Traded a used but decent Juice KF4 for my Skeletool CX. Should I ever find a light-weight allow crescent wrench small enough to fit in the carabiner area there is going to be some passive modification done. Not enough to voice the warranty, but the missing link hopefully will get rectified.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline FLYBYU

Reply #163 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:09 PM
Here is my first Leatherman, bought it a year or so ago:

Just sent it in as two of the three springs in one of the handles had broke and the blade had about 3/4" of the tip missing. I took the above pic before sending it in. I work at a potash mine, so even though I oil it all the time it rusts like nuts. I have a new Skeletool CX on the way too, it will be my EDC multitool around the house so I don't have to bring my other one home all the time. Love the Skeletool design, everything I need, nothing I don't.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #164 on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:36 AM
potash is an alkali, right?  That's gotta be hard on most metal equipment.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline FLYBYU

Reply #165 on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:24 AM
potash is an alkali, right?  That's gotta be hard on most metal equipment.

Yeppers! You should see our trucks after a year out there, pretty nasty stuff when it comes to metal.

Offline P67

• New User
Reply #166 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:44 AM
Hi there,

I've got myself a Skeletool CX Plain Edge for a while now, though it's getting very apparent that the screw that's initially holding the blade is getting rather loosened. Is there any fix to that, that any of you lot know of by any chance? Everytime i tighten the torx screws it's getting awfully loose whilst it's not even /that/ old yet..

Also, i've disassembled it as to clean out all the rubbish as it was making a rather "screeching" noise when i opened the blade. Muck and hardened grime all under it (That's when you know you're using your Multitool well, right? ;-) ). I've written down the parts list though i might have made a mistake.

From bottom to top:

Body
Copper/Brass ring
Blade
Small plastic ring in the middle
Larger plastic ring
Outer ring with the indent to keep it stuck
Torx Screw

If any of you lot have an assembly guide it'd be much appreciated! I can't seem to get a guide from Leatherman theirselves.

Regards,
P67

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #167 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:18 AM
Welcome to the forum P67. Nice to have you here. When you find the time visit our New members forum and tell us more about yourself so we can give you a proper welcome. :D

As for your Skeletool... an old trick is to put a bit of Loctite on your screw and then screw it in. I think most people use the blue one as it allows for easier removal if needed. As for the screeching sound, you might want to put a bit of oil on the pivot.

ru Offline loki-mobile

Reply #168 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:14 PM
A few Skeletool related photos taken this morning.

(Image removed from quote.)
It's all different skeletool?
The first apparently coated with gold - not released officially.
Second - Rei.com edition.
Third to sixth-Limited Color Edition.
Eighth - CX first versions
Tenth - normal skeletool
Eleven-skeletool first versions
The issue with the seven and nine - they are the same or different? If different, what's the difference.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #169 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:50 PM
A few Skeletool related photos taken this morning.

http://i145.photobucket.c...bum%202/IMG_1087small.jpg
It's all different skeletool?
The first apparently coated with gold - not released officially.
Second - Rei.com edition.
Third to sixth-Limited Color Edition.
Eighth - CX first versions
Tenth - normal skeletool
Eleven-skeletool first versions
The issue with the seven and nine - they are the same or different? If different, what's the difference.

1st gold plated Skeletool from TexasToolCrafters on eBay
  2nd red REI edition
  3rd, 5th and 6th colors limited edition from about a year and a half ago, first sold only in Europe, I'm not sure if they later sold in the US too.
  4th Cabela's 50th Anniversary Skeletool.
  7th a factory mistake Skeletool CX labeled as Freestyle CX
  8th CX first edition
  9th CX new style
10th SS first edition
11th SS new style   

us Offline Heirphoto

Reply #170 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:35 AM
Okay, I am officially a member now as my plain blade Skeletool arrived today in its original box. Just so it does not get lonely I have a gentley used Freestyle on the way too.

Why is it then that I now feel the need for a Skeletool CX too? (Would the Freestyle feel left out if it does not get a CX playmete too like its big brother Skele?)

And yes I also have the twin Style Leathermans, scissors and pliers versions.

So, "Now I am ready"....or so Leatherman tells me. Yet is always seems I am not ready unless I have that next tool with a different compliment of bits/blades.

Tony

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #171 on: December 21, 2012, 06:49:04 PM
Many folks see the MUT as the Skeletools big brother.  Just saying. :whistle:

seriously though, congrats on the new MT.  I'll be interested to hear which you like more; the Skele or the Freestyle. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #172 on: January 14, 2013, 06:44:28 PM
I just had to say how much I'm loving my Skeletool CX. I haven't enjoyed a Leatherman product this much since my Wave. The fit and finish of the Skeletool is really, really nice. Far better than  most of my other Leathermans. Nothing rubs. Everything has a nice snap to it. The blade is ground properly.

The only bummer is the lack of a real ball detent. The stamped detent works well, but I wonder if it will become an issue after extended use. Either way, it's far better than the stamped detents I've tried on various Waves and Charges.

20130108_150456.jpg
* 20130108_150456.jpg (Filesize: 178.4 KB)
--
'Buzz

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #173 on: January 21, 2013, 12:47:47 PM
I have to agree with this last post. I've been through two Skeletool CX, two Waves, one Charge AL and one Style CS and the Skeletools have been head and shoulders over the others when it comes to fit and finish. Have others had this experience as well?

Everything snaps and clicks very tight on my Skeletool and there is no wiggle on anything anywhere. The only complaint I could make is that the pocket clip is easily bent as it catches on to things accidentally.

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #174 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:49 PM
I carried a Skeletool for nigh over a year, because it seemed the most logical balance of weight versus utility.  This was generally true until I nearly broke the pliers on it. I then tried a Wave, and then after studying the various models, I upgraded to a Charge TTi as my daily carry.  Once I learned how to carry the Charge properly, the weight and bulk was a non-issue.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #175 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:56 PM
I have to agree with this last post. I've been through two Skeletool CX, two Waves, one Charge AL and one Style CS and the Skeletools have been head and shoulders over the others when it comes to fit and finish. Have others had this experience as well?

Everything snaps and clicks very tight on my Skeletool and there is no wiggle on anything anywhere. The only complaint I could make is that the pocket clip is easily bent as it catches on to things accidentally.

So agree there!
Also Leatherman mounted the pocket clip top heavy instead of keeping the weight on the bottom. With the weight underneath it could firmly hold the clip onto whatever it was attached to. My 2¢ on it anyhow.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline thom4s

Reply #176 on: January 27, 2013, 08:01:58 PM
got one  too now, cx pe it came in a box and not in plastic shell

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #177 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:09 AM
Skeletool CX mis-labelled as a Freestyle CX

I used to come here a lot.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #178 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:09 AM
Nice. :tu: Not a lot if those around.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #179 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:59 AM
I'm trying to remember the forum member's name who picked both of those mis labelled tools up from the Leatherman factory shop and posted them out to me, and to my shame I can't :(

If I recall, there were quite a few of them as some clown had set a machine up wrong lol. So they sold them off cheap in the shop...
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD