Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tomo philosophy

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Tomo philosophy
on: July 31, 2011, 05:08:07 PM
In case you want to know more about the philosophy behind the Tomo....  ;)

us Online Singh

• No Life Club
Re: Tomo philosophy
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:54:03 PM
The philosophy: it's a Classic without tweezers and a toothpick, and encased in a bulky square housing.  :td:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:18:41 PM
The philosophy: it's a Classic without tweezers and a toothpick, and encased in a bulky square housing.  :td:

.. and in order to move away from the masculine form of the Swiss Army Knife and produce a softer image he did away with the curves and made it a ... box. The added psychological perspective adding to the functionality making it more than a knife with scissors ... well that must have been designed out in the latter stages as too costly or something because I can't see it. Maybe it's shown in the instruction manual? Maybe the absence of pliers and toothpick indicate a higher spiritual functionality of not wishing to rid ourselves of foreign bodies such as splinters and bacon rind, but rather to become one with them thus functioning in greater harmony with our surroundings and worldly interactions.

Its masculine, its bovine and its fecal  :-\

... and I'm sure there's collectors out there trying to get a full set.
Does anyone speak Japanese? Does Tomo mean gullible?  ::)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline Jmora

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:29:23 PM

.. and in order to move away from the masculine form of the Swiss Army Knife and produce a softer image he did away with the curves and made it a ... box. The added psychological perspective adding to the functionality making it more than a knife with scissors ... well that must have been designed out in the latter stages as too costly or something because I can't see it. Maybe it's shown in the instruction manual? Maybe the absence of pliers and toothpick indicate a higher spiritual functionality of not wishing to rid ourselves of foreign bodies such as splinters and bacon rind, but rather to become one with them thus functioning in greater harmony with our surroundings and worldly interactions.

I think it must mean 'smurf'
I don't understand what could conform to the aesthetic of simplicity better than a classic. It would be interesting to see if it sells.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:49 PM
They're online for $20/each, which is a bit high, IMO. :/

de Offline Jmora

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:46 PM

I think it must mean 'smurf'
I don't understand what could conform to the aesthetic of simplicity better than a classic. It would be interesting to see if it sells.
:think: ...my joke falls a bit flat when it becomes smurfified. 

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:41:59 PM
This is the comment I posted when Victorinox announced the Tomo on Facebook a few weeks ago.

I fail to see how this is an improvement on the Classic. It pains me to see this sort of thing instead of real innovation. Companies that market these frivolous variations are at best treading water and at worst on their way out. Let's see some real innovations, please?

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
That is interesting. I read on three forums on the same topic, and NOBODY seems to like the Tomo. Guess it will not be around long, maybe I should get one for a soon-to-be rare collection item ???
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
That is interesting. I read on three forums on the same topic, and NOBODY seems to like the Tomo. Guess it will not be around long, maybe I should get one for a soon-to-be rare collection item ???

On the contrary, I find it cute, but not work the $20/each price tag.  $12-15, maybe, but not $20.  I see this as a good piece for advertising for companies, as putting a company logo on it would be easy, so Victorinox has that going for them.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:25 PM
If less is more than they should just go all out and leave it as a plastic box with the Victorinox logo on it. That would make it TSA compliant as well :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:49 PM
I like the design. Not so sure about the philosophy. Of course, I can't add more until I get myself a copy to fondle.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:23 AM
I dislike the design and won't be buying one - my current SAKs all appeal to me MUCH more than this rectangular box.  For anyone that this design appeals to - fine, but I really don't see how it is any kind of improvement on a normal SAK design.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:41:31 AM
To a collector, this could be a good one to get.

us Online Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:48:54 AM
It's not a design philosophy.

It's an artsy-fartsy philosophy that has laid insult to Swiss design and functionality. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:29:35 AM by shamus »

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:56 AM
similar to the deluxe
But that egg carton packaging looks like it would disintegrate after 10 years in a collection

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:12 AM
What? Indoors, it would last indefinitely. Just because it is biodegradable does not mean it will fall apart just sitting on a shelf. You have to bury it in a compost heap and have bacteria work on it, etc. Or you could leave it in the sun and water, but that would take a lot longer. Indoors, it shouldn't fall apart.

EDIT: Either way, all this taking has got me to thinking i need an example or two.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:11:08 AM by Chako »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:15 AM
Square....  ::) ::)

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:50 AM
im looking forwad to when they bring out the tomo plus  :rofl: now with added tweezers and tooth pic!
I

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:37:16 AM
similar to the deluxe

Except for 1 thing: the Tomo is ugly, unlike the Deluxe.

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:32:00 AM
I'm cool with the philosophy and with the packaging, in fact I think the Classic already fully embodies that philosophy for many people.  My friend one Skype just told me the other day how surprised she is at how often she uses her keychain sak I had given her during a visit.  Many people like her don't think of the classic as mocho or "army", they use the term "swiss army knife" quite affectionatly; it's a universal tool.

I'll check out a Tomo one day, but yes the aesthetics don't really appeal to me at this point... not to mention I actually dislike the classic and much prefer the Ramber/Manager/MiniChamp saks.

So the only thing about the video I find strange, is truely people already think of the Classic the way he was hoping people would, and that has been for a long time before they changed the scales.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:15 AM
Funnily after watching the video i wanted a tomo.

I really can empathise with the 'Simple is beautiful' and although i didn't like the look of it when it was first announced i can say i was looking at it from the SAK camp. I don't think it 'insults the swiss' either.
 The deluxe looks like a tacky piece of jewellery to me.
I wouldn't buy it for collective value but i would consider it, maybe just consider it, but i wouldn't even be open to that twenty minutes ago.
The fact that i just went to an art exhibition today may be why i'm so open to it :D
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:00 AM
I really dig them. It's neat to see the basic blade configuration of the Classic in a different packaging. Far from better, but I know many of us collect models long discontinued with less than ideal tool configurations just to add to the collection. I think it represents a nice trend in Vic's history -- a time where Vic has been able to refocus on the SAK, and not just improving their versatility and range of products.
Let us therefore open the book of Nature and read in her records.
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:16 PM
Dispencing with the scissors is a dumb idea , one of the main selling points of the Classic SD .

Overall a very flawed concept .

Chris

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 04:55:38 PM
Dispencing with the scissors is a dumb idea , one of the main selling points of the Classic SD .

Overall a very flawed concept .

Chris

The scissors are still there ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:14 PM
I just don't understand how [square housing larger than necessary] is simplicity. Not at all I knife I'd buy to use, though if I saw one I might pick it up on impulse...

I kind of like the egg carton packaging though. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:17 AM
I'm a cynic, I'll admit it now, but I think I know the philophy behind the Tomo.

"Once you have their Money, never give it back."

Same philosphy also includes the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife. Yeah, we should all get that one. :)
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:09 AM
Well because the Tomo seems to be fairly vilified, I went and bought one of every colour. I can't wait to see them when they come in. I will even post a photo or two for your enjoyment.   :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Tomo philosophy
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 03:28:41 AM
It's a Japanese philosophy to keep things simple. Therefore square is more simple than round. A little studying on the Japanese culture and you can find the meaning behind this. I like the Japanese philosophy but do tend to like the tried and true design of the SAK.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 10:16:44 AM
At least when they bring out the alox Tomo you won't have to feel bad about losing the toothpick and tweezers.

And what's all this about beauty and simplicity? I think it looks stupid and needlessly bulky.

Mini chop sticks in the scales would have made it much cooler.

The packaging is a great idea, it should be used on all future knives.

...That's my $0.02 on the subject.  :)

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 04:39:50 PM
It's a very lovely SAK but I will be huppier if they made one with the nail file that have screw driver tip. Then they should call it tomo sd :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%