Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sideclip mod question.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Sideclip mod question.
on: October 30, 2006, 11:50:49 PM
Hey guys, question.  Anyone ever mod the sideclip?  Anyone ever take a flathead or two out and add a file or saw, or scissors?  I saw Def mention it on his review, how it would be an improvement, and was wondering if anyone had ever done it?  I've seen the wave modded with Kick parts, and was wondering if the same could be done with the sideclip?  Heck, a saw or file WOULD come in handy on it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Sideclip mod question.
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:52:28 PM
You read one of my reviews?  I am impressed... :P

Seriously, because I only have one, and it's discontinued, and its a factory fubar, I wouldn't dream of doing anything odd to my SideClip, but you are right when you agree with me that some other tools would be sweet!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:16:35 AM
I gotta get me some of those security torx bits and open this bad boy up.  I gotta get some different tools in there, and make it better.

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:28:54 AM
NAv,

I finally got my sideclip and absolutely love it. I want to change some tools out as well. So if/when you try this I will be paying close attention.

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 04:38:11 AM
Isn't it the coolest little Multitool?  It's awesome.  I normally carr the Wave because I need the saw and file alot at work, plus I need a one handed option for a knife as well, but when I'm out and about, the Sideclip is my carry.  Yeah, as soon as I can find those torx bits I'm gettin to work, unless someone out there beats me to it. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 04:41:10 AM
NAv,

I finally got my sideclip and absolutely love it......

Okay Mr. Colubrid, you know the drill. Tell us what ya' got.   :)

Now then, as the newest member of the Official SideClip Owner's Club, we'll need to know a few things:

1) Does your SideClip have a bead blast matte finish, or a brushed shiny finish?
2) What are the four date codes stamped on the inside of the handles?
3) And do you like, or dislike, the way Leatherman ground one side of the plier heads down so they can grip objects flush to a surface?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline colubrid

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 04:28:58 PM
KICK-SIDECLIP-SPIRIT:

KICK-SIDECLIP-SPIRIT..thickness:

manufacture date- 08/03:

tool comaprison with Kick:

Practicality and ease of usage . Out of a 1-10 scale....An 11:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 01:55:52 AM
Nice photo essay!

(Funny that your Kick and your SideClip were being produced at the exact same time.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline colubrid

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:24:28 AM
Nice photo essay!

(Funny that your Kick and your SideClip were being produced at the exact same time.)

Shoot- I did not even notice that.

Good eye J-Sews~!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:49:07 AM
And here I thought it was funny that you needed the Spirit to back up the SideClip!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:44:15 PM
That pic was taken when i received the sideclip. I no longer carry any belt carrying multitool since I have gotten the sideclip and actually USE the tool more often because of the easy access I have to it..

This weekend I had to replace some cable in my walls. The sideclip did everything I needed with opening vents, cutting drywall. bending sheetmetel, splicing wire ect. I don't really like all the screwdriver bits and would want to replace those with some other tool like a file or scissors.

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:08:14 PM
Such a neat little tool.  Yeah, 10-4 on the replacing some of the screw drivers.  Since I always carry a mocra with me, I'd like to add a file and wood saw.  Then it would be almost perfect.  Good to hear that you are actually USING it and not just putting it away.  I know some are collectors, and that's fine, but hey, it's a tool.  It WANTS to be used!! LOL.  Mine does.

Offline colubrid

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:07:49 PM
I agree with you Nav. This is my workhorse and I have scuffed it up already so I don't mind be careful with it.

I think I may get an earlier bead blast sideclip as a shelve queen and use this later model(brushed SS) one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 08:42:16 PM
I consider all of my tools as users, not collectibles.  Just some are a lot handier than others and so the "collectors" often just sit and gather dust.

For example, my Tuff Tool hasn't seen an honest day's work since I got it about a year ago.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 02:16:22 AM
Such a neat little tool.  Yeah, 10-4 on the replacing some of the screw drivers.  Since I always carry a mocra with me, I'd like to add a file and wood saw.  Then it would be almost perfect.  Good to hear that you are actually USING it and not just putting it away.  I know some are collectors, and that's fine, but hey, it's a tool.  It WANTS to be used!! LOL.  Mine does.

I don't use a wood saw that much, but I would REALLY like a diamond file blade on my SideClip. I'm thinking the one from a PST II would be about perfect.

Too bad Leatherman doesn't sell individual blades like SOG does.  :(

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 02:41:30 PM
Hey Colubrid, are you using your sideclip exclusively, or are you carrying a pocketknife along with it?  It's wierd, but when I carry my Wave, I carry a pocketknife, either a SAK, or my Buck Cadet, but when I carry my sideclip, I carry it alone.  It's so small and compact that it's like carrying a multitool AND a pocketknife aroud, so I carry it alone.  Anyone else have the tendency of doing this with the Sideclip? 

Offline colubrid

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 04:48:08 PM
Yes, I carry either a red or silver Vic Soldier with the sideclip.

But that may change as I ordered a blue and silver Alox Farmer yesterday. I think I might use that because it has the saw.

Either way is a great combo for a minamalist like me.

I also carry this keuychain which has:
*Keys
*ARC AAA+P
*Gerber LST ( I love this little knife)
*Tritium
*Atwood whistle
*wedding ring

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 09:30:52 PM
Yes, I carry either a red or silver Vic Soldier with the sideclip.

But that may change as I ordered a blue and silver Alox Farmer yesterday. I think I might use that because it has the saw.

Either way is a great combo for a minamalist like me.

I also carry this keuychain which has:
*Keys
*ARC AAA+P
*Gerber LST ( I love this little knife)
*Tritium
*Atwood whistle
*wedding ring

Colubrid where did you get that tritium keychain at?  I'd like to get one.

Offline colubrid

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:46:40 PM
It was given to me on the EDC forums.

Let me find out who has them for sale and get back.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 04:47:08 PM
Hey Colubrid,
I did some legwork and found it here:
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=1195.0
Thanks for the info, I just ordered a 3-pack  :)

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 03:06:46 AM
Hey Colubrid, it's been a couple of weeks now.  You still EDCing your sideclip?  I went back to the Wave for a bit, but realized I really don't need a file or scissors, and anything I may need a saw for will require a real saw, so I went back to the Sideclip.  Just wonderin.

Offline colubrid

Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 06:36:25 AM
Yep. Still EDC'ing it. Have put the Wave and Spirit one (for about two seconds) and off they came. Don't need the extra tools unless I plan on tearing a house down or something.

I have also found the sideclip to be more user friendly in that I don't have to open a sheath. I never even know its on me until I need it. With a sheath you can feel it when driving, sitting down, putting on a jacket. bumping into stuff it gets hung up ect. ect

Don't get me wrong, I still love all my multitools. I can't wait to put on my Core or SOG powerlock again. Just have not had the need to yet.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 04:59:49 PM
... sideclip  .... I never even know its on me until I need it. With a sheath you can feel it when driving,....

I, too,  appreciate tools which don't intrude.  However, there is a possibility you could lose the tool and not be aware of the loss until you are miles away.  If that's the case, consider adding a lanyard which fastens the tool to your belt loop.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%