Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger EvoGrip S557

FredKJ · 44 · 5225

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Wenger EvoGrip S557
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:37 AM
Nothing fancy, just straight up function, which is what a tool should be all about!

Def

Couldn't agree more!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 01:11:55 AM
It's a fantastic and effective system.  Every other fancy knife or tool doodad has some kind of trade off, but I don't think this does- it just works.  You don't even notice it working, and in most cases, if you don't point it out to people, they don;t even know that it's there.  All they know is that it's never closed on their hands and really, that's all that's important.  Nothing fancy, just straight up function, which is what a tool should be all about!

Def

Yes, that's why I said it's engineered.  Typically a SAK is a backup to regular tools.  This one serves as a primary tool.  The pliers/wrench combo also replaces some of the functionality that you would have with a multi-plier in a pocket knife.  A SAK pliers doesn't have the torque for heavy jobs.  The wrench should do that.  I will certainly be trying the universal wrench out to see how it works.

You have a combination of several innovations here from the locking screwdrivers and knife to the rubberized grip etc. that do make it something different.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 07:49:09 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the "push-lock" type of lock on all non-locking knives & tools.  It seems an easy way to provide a necessary feature.

Tom

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:44 AM
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

-fresh

Offline FredKJ

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:43 AM
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

-fresh

I don't have a digital camera, sorry.  I have found a serious design flaw however.  It's in the EvoGrip.  Sure it feels really nice but then I switched it to my left hand.  I was thinking about several of my close friends who are southpaws.  The EvoGrip is contoured and designed to fit in the hand of someone holding it who is right-handed.  Not a problem for me but it doesn't fit right in a left hand.  I wonder if Wenger has thought of this.  It's usable but doesn't fit right in a left hand.  So will Wenger come up with a left-handed Evo???

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 03:35:17 AM
That was one of the first things I checked too after having "blown the whistle" on Left Hand Haters at Leatherman, and I found it worked just as well in my left hand.  I'll have to have another go with it and see.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 03:43:48 AM
That was one of the first things I checked too after having "blown the whistle" on Left Hand Haters at Leatherman, and I found it worked just as well in my left hand.  I'll have to have another go with it and see.

Def

It wouldn't exactly be a deal killer if I were left-handed.  It's not like a rifle or something where the bolt flying back would take your face off.  But it's clearly designed for a right-handed hold.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 06:52:33 AM
With every Evo-gripped knife I have, the grips are symmetrical. You'd get the exact same experience with either hand. I don't specifically have a S557 though.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 07:12:02 AM
With every Evo-gripped knife I have, the grips are symmetrical. You'd get the exact same experience with either hand. I don't specifically have a S557 though.

What a necro! :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:30 AM

What a necro! :)
Yes but for a thread about one of my favorite SAKs!  And it's from before I was a member too.  Gonna carry my S557 today :)

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 02:10:59 PM
Hey, I see something, I respond. Never even looked at the previous posting date.
Am I supposed to just ignore what seems to be a questionable statement about the grips? Wouldn't the great Multi-Tool Creator get offended with me then :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 02:13:17 PM
No problem, we love a good thread necro. :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
No problem, we love a good thread necro. :D

(Image removed from quote.)
And a good thread thread derailing.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
Hey, I see something, I respond. Never even looked at the previous posting date.
Am I supposed to just ignore what seems to be a questionable statement about the grips? Wouldn't the great Multi-Tool Creator get offended with me then :D

I'm fine with necros, that's why I put a :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%