Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...

sheida · 78 · 44685

tr Offline sheida

on: August 14, 2011, 01:23:04 PM
Hi,

I'm from Turkey, an English teacher and a new scouts leader. I will go camping with my students at least twice a year so I need a SAK and for days I'm looking for it. In Turkey there are not much forums discussing these topics. People do not care and think that they are expensive. Anyway, I cant decide if I buy a Ranger or Huntsman. I know nail file is important for me cos I'm a 25 year old woman  :D Ranger is 5 layers and Huntsman is 4 layers. I wonder Ranger can be carried in a pocket easily or not. Also in Turkey all Rangers has a camping logo and a tent pic on it. Is it the original?

Please share your experiences about Ranger and Huntsman. Thanks 4 your help  :sak:

us Offline Grateful

Re: Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:26 PM
 Welcome to the forums. Four layers is my limit for pocket carry and three is alot more comfortable. However some people are comfortable carrying thicker saks, five layers and up, so it just depends what your comfortable with.
 Is a belt sheath a option for you? That is how I prefer to carry my huntsman.
 They are both great sak's and either one would serve you well.
Jim

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:53:35 PM
the ranger's file is actually a fairly coarse metal file, I don't know if it works so well for nails (but I wouldn't know, I only use scissors on my nails). Have you considered the equivalent SAK from Wenger?: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+18
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=EVO+S17
It is 4 layers, and a bit shorter, but with thick scales.
it has a nail file and other equipment, some models have a locking blade and screwdriver/caplifter as a bonus. The scissors are serrated though, which for me is a negative, (but some others prefer these).
Hope this helps  :cheers:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:57 PM
What about a combo of the Huntsman and a Vic Classic for the nails?  :think:

Welcome to MT.O btw..  :tu:

tr Offline sheida

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:06:39 PM
Thank you all for the ideas  :) I searched 4 both (Vic and Wenger) actually I like the look of Victorinox more than Wenger.  I'd like to carry it with a chain in my pocket. I'm confused about the nail file now.  :o if it cannot be used for the nails than I do not need it. Than I may buy Huntsman.

What about the camping logo on Ranger? I cant rely on is it the original, or the older version or smt else?

de Offline Jmora

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:10 PM
if it looks like this it should be original:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Camper

there was a thread on that, apparently there are inlaid and painted on versions.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21266.msg396530.html#msg396530

AHB's classic suggestion is good, I have one on my keyring and it is very light and convenient.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:31 PM
Thank you all for the ideas  :) I searched 4 both (Vic and Wenger) actually I like the look of Victorinox more than Wenger.  I'd like to carry it with a chain in my pocket. I'm confused about the nail file now.  :o if it cannot be used for the nails than I do not need it. Than I may buy Huntsman.

What about the camping logo on Ranger? I cant rely on is it the original, or the older version or smt else?

Variations
1.This model is also available with the Camping logo on the front scale; It can be inlaid or hot-stamped.
2.Early models did not have the Chisel or Multipurpose hook on the back.
3.This model has been produced long enough that some samples will have the older, wider, fine screwdriver.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ranger

tr Offline sheida

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:46 PM
I agree, the logo seems the SAK messy. but in Turkey they all have camping logo :-\ Now I watched the video of Wenger S18 Scouts, I am confused  :o OMG! It is so hard to choose a SAK  :(

I had two options, now I have 3!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:40 PM
You could always go with a Swisschamp on a belt sheath and be done with it. That magnifier can be used to start fires in a pinch.

I did EDC one in a sheath for a few weeks and found it a great size. If you can sheath any plier based multi-tool, you can carry a Swisschamp with no problems.

Your best bet would be to figure out what tools you need and/or want, and go from there. Unfortunately, there is way too many options when you get into the world of Swiss Army Knives. SAKWiki will help you if a bit time consuming. :)

Edit: If I was looking for a smaller knife with the tools I would want in the woods, I would always go for a Woodsman (If you can find one). That magnifier can help start fires etc. A wood saw is a must as well.

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Woodsman+91mm
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:50:45 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:49:10 PM
Just buy 5 or 6 different models. Give each one a trial. Then you will have some backups ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:52 PM
Welcome to the forum!  I can tell you that the file on the Ranger does, in fact, work well for fingernails.  You should be careful and use light pressure, but it works great.  The Vic Ranger is my every day carry 90% of the time.  I don't find it bulky in my pocket at all and it's endlessly useful.  You might want to use some kind of sheath or fashion some type of lanyard if you are going to access it a lot while out with your students.  I keep mine on a lanyard so i can pull it out of my pocket pretty easily or use the lanyard to attach it to my belt.  It's a great tool and I highly recommend it.  :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

tr Offline sheida

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 04:23:21 PM
GraysonK, I am so glad to hear that Ranger works well for fingernails :tu: If you didnt tell this useful knowledge, I would choose the Huntsman. But Ranger always would be in my heart  :D Now I can buy Ranger and I'm sure I will use it in the camps and everyday life.
Thanks everybody, I'm looking forward to use my SAK   :gimme:  :gimme:  :gimme:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 04:32:29 PM
GraysonK, I am so glad to hear that Ranger works well for fingernails :tu: If you didnt tell this useful knowledge, I would choose the Huntsman. But Ranger always would be in my heart  :D Now I can buy Ranger and I'm sure I will use it in the camps and everyday life.
Thanks everybody, I'm looking forward to use my SAK   :gimme:  :gimme:  :gimme:
Sheida,
Happy to help!  My Ranger is one of my most treasured SAK's for a variety of reasons.  I'm sure it will serve you very well.  And if you need a lanyard or belt loop holder, let me know.  I have paracord coming out my ears and would be happy to help if I can.  Good luck with your adventures.  We LOVE to hear about that kind of stuff around here so please keep us updated and send pictures!   :cheers:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

tr Offline sheida

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 05:01:29 PM
Thank you, I will add photos as soon as I get it :) Do you have pics of your lanyard, or some kind of stuff I can use my Ranger with?

I have one more question GraysonK. Does your Ranger has Camping logo on it?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:33 PM
Thank you, I will add photos as soon as I get it :) Do you have pics of your lanyard, or some kind of stuff I can use my Ranger with?

I have one more question GraysonK. Does your Ranger has Camping logo on it?
No, my Ranger doesn't have a Camping logo on it.  I'll take a pic of the lanyard I have on my Ranger and put it up for you a little later.  :)  I really think you are going to like the Ranger.  :)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:26 PM
Cool thing about the Ranger is that it has a backside tool on each layer 8) No plain backsprings 8)

(Mine has the camping logo.)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

tr Offline sheida

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
Reiner, does the logo remove by the time? I dont want it to be rubbed off.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:08 PM
Reiner, does the logo remove by the time? I dont want it to be rubbed off.

The metal inlay version won't. The "hot stamped" version... no idea actually :think:

tr Offline sheida

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:58 PM
How can we understand if it is inlaid version or hot stamped version? ???

tr Offline sheida

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:55 PM
In the first picture the line starts under the tent figure and goes on the Camping

In the second picture there is no line under the Camping. Which one is inlaid, which one is hot stamped? ???
victorinox-isvicre-ordu-cakisi-ranger__39868299_0.jpg
* victorinox-isvicre-ordu-cakisi-ranger__39868299_0.jpg (Filesize: 8.28 KB)
1.3763.71.jpg
* 1.3763.71.jpg (Filesize: 119.25 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 06:47:06 PM
Hi and welcome!I wouldnt say a bad thing about the Vic SAKS but for what you want,the Wenger EvoGrip 18 is a great choice.Its the only Wenger that makes it into my EDC.I suspect that out in the field(whay am I hearing Gary Moore and Phil Lynett in my head now?) you may appreciate the extra grip and visibility of the yellow Evo handles.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 06:48:37 PM
Here's the pic of my Ranger with lanyard.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 06:56:23 PM
The bottom one is hot stamped. I have a few older knives with the top logo and it is a metal inlay. Personally, I like the metal inlay version. It is quite sharp.

However, if you do not like it, you could always buy a set of scales that will fit the knife, gently pop the old ones off, and snap in the new ones. You could change the colour of your knife, and eliminate that logo.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:20 PM
I disagree about the file, as I do not find it suitable for nails.  I always carry a Classic SD and either a Huntsman or a SwissChamp.  Besides, a file that will be used on metal and who knows what, is not something I want to file my fingernails with.
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 07:16:56 PM
I think the smoother side file is OK for nails, a little aggressive perhaps but OK.  Personally I find a five layer SAK, like the Ranger, just a little too big for pocket carry, but it really is a matter of personal taste.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:39 PM
In the first picture the line starts under the tent figure and goes on the Camping

In the second picture there is no line under the Camping. Which one is inlaid, which one is hot stamped? ???

Like Chako says, the bottom one is hot stamped.

However... you can never be sure which version you will get if you order online. They could be using a photo of the inlay version while they actually offer the hot stamped variant... in other words, best to check with the seller which version it actually is!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 07:24:18 PM

Like Chako says, the bottom one is hot stamped.

However... you can never be sure which version you will get if you order online. They could be using a photo of the inlay version while they actually offer the hot stamped variant... in other words, best to check with the seller which version it actually is!

That's very true and worth reinforcing.

I also find the file in the Ranger just too much for nails.  I'd go for a Huntsman and a smaller keyring SAK combination.

Horses for courses though as they say :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

tr Offline sheida

Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:17 PM
Wenger 18 is 84 mm and and I dont want a little thing. That's why I like Victorinox more. In Turkey I dont have much chance to buy a Ranger from a store. Because it is not common in Turkey. I can buy online. Huntsman can be found in stores more. Ranger is in my mind just for extra nail file. Wenger 18 Scouts is also suitable but it is smaller than a Ranger of Huntsman.

I'm confused :-\

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:14 PM
When in doubt listen to Neil..  ;)

I'd go for a Huntsman and a smaller keyring SAK combination.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:15 PM
When in doubt listen to Neil..  ;)

:pok: What are you after? :think:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%