Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue Shovel

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Rescue Shovel
on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:54 AM
OK bare with me, i saw this shovel called a Crovel, and also that other Chinese Military Shovel, but there both freaking expensive, and then came up with this idea, so bare with me,, what if you took a normal spade shovel, and modified it, trimmed it to size, put a edge on it, maybe even a saw edge, heck take a saws-all blade and wield it to it, then take a 1" tee and wield it where the handle comes in at? but make it so the pipe can be screwed in on both sides. at the other end of the pipe, take some pry bar/hammer and wield the head to the pipe. now this leaves you with a multi-use shovel? at the same time you can screw the end into the shovel end to carry, the middle to use as a hoe, brush cleaner, then at the other end, normal shovel. if you need to use it as a hammer or pry-bar with out the shovel attached!, now the kick, you can store supply's in the handle and wrap it with cord while carrying it, just have to shove something in it so the stuff dont come out, or carry a cap, and at the same time carry two plugs on the tee! so let me know, im sure you have most of this stuff floating around to where your not using it?? heres a pic so you can get a idea of it..  JR

I also started thinking, about taking a wrecking bar and cutting the one end off and wielding a bushing over it so that it could screw into each part of the tee, on top of that making my own spade shovel out of a piece of flat 1/4" stock. only thing is you loose the storage. and also need to wield a flat piece of steel to the bar for a hammer,, any thoughts?? JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline BlueDot

Re: Rescue Shovel
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:50 AM

I like the idea of a more versatile shovel, but it sounds like it would get pretty heavy.

Not sure the 1/4" stock would work if you mean flat stock.  Square tubing is stronger/lighter but not a very comfortable handle.

Keep up the ideas...
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:07:27 PM
Well I started working on this project  a while back, only thing is I can only get to it when my friends truck breaks down and needs fixing, but it's a ford! The other day we went down to just work on the shovel and it broke :( but it only broke at the attachment point, the spade and hammer/breaker bar are intact they just need a little cleaning and to be painted! So I'm back to the blueprint table to think up a few ideas for it, but I already have a few, I asked my friend to bring my project back so I can take a few pics to post and I. An take the dremel out to clean it up. Bare with me and I'll get a few pics, I know your just dieng to see!  JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:36:02 PM
As i promised, here are the pic's of the project as it sits. of course its rusted, its been sitting for a while with no paint. where the bolt is was where i had the tee and at the end of the bar is where i had the bushing in order to thread into the tee, but the tee couldn't handle the heat, i guess? Ive already put the bar/hammer to use, my friend had a utility trailer stored where we were working on it, and of course who doesn't have a problem with the trailer hitch or tongue? well it worked! so i guess if i cant get the shovel to work out ill just have to make the hammer and crow bar into something?  JR

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:15:49 PM
Sweet!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jwh

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:28:54 AM
Nice work.

jwh

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:54:19 AM
Sweet!

Def
Nice work.

jwh
Thanks guys, I'm still hung up on figuring out the right way to make the handle attach to the spade, but if all else fails, I'll just ditch the spade and keep the breaker bar/ hammer, paint it, wrap para cord for a good handle, and toss it in the tool bucket,,  JR

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47:37 AM
Have you considered backing up a weld with a mechanical type fastener like bolts or rivets?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:42:53 AM
I'm planning on replacing my old green military folding shovel with one of these.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN5060/Condor-Tool-and-Knife-Claw-Folding-Shovel
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:55 PM
That looks superb have you got it yet?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:57:39 PM
I suppose I could have posted pics of what I had done to the shovel huh, well I got tired of the darn thing and just took it over to my neighbors and we just decided to to wield the bar to the spade, after that I took truck bed liner and sprayed the bar down and just painted the Spade black to match, nothing fancy, sorry the pics suck,

Here's just before the wield

And after painted,
that's my son who's err 5'-7" 145lbs just to give you an idea of size, again sorry the pics are horrible,, JR

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:29:28 PM
That looks like Hellboys shovel totally indestructable and you could dig the devil himself out of his hole with it

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:24 AM
That looks like Hellboys shovel totally indestructable and you could dig the devil himself out of his hole with it
lol, thanks.. JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%