Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

security torx bits

Offline colubrid

security torx bits
on: October 31, 2006, 05:01:19 AM
Is opening a LM tool any more complicated than a SOG?

I was wondering because their must be a reason LM invented the 5 star security bits. Is this a major undertaking to diasemble or is it just LM warranty dept not wanting people to mess around?

I want to change out some tools like the phillips kick into the wave and other stuff.
If this is to hard is their anyone with experience willing to offer their services to do these mods for me?.. I mean payed service of course.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: security torx bits
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:38:16 AM
LM didn't invent the  screws used on their tools. A company named Textron Fastening Systems developed the torx bit and make the  Tamper-Resistant TORX PLUS screws used by LM. http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:41:33 AM by prime77 »
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:40:42 AM
Leathermans aren't any more or less difficult to disassemble and re-assemble from what I have seen, the 5 pointed seceurity bit is there to keep people from tampering with them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:17:41 PM
So thats it? They are fairly easy to change tools.

GREAT!

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:12:58 PM
You may find that cross breeding is not possible with every tool simply because of size difference between the lock groove, the diameter of the part that fits on the axle just because of the different size of tools and space between the sides of the handles. So a pair of scissors on one tool may not fit on a particular tool you want it too. Best too measure up before attempting.
I am going to get a Gerber MP600 Cable Cutter as soon as I can get one over here (still not available here :() so I can put the interchangeable saw from my Pro Scout into it. I am just hopeing it will fit OK with them both being MP600 designs.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:45:37 AM
You may find that cross breeding is not possible with every tool simply because of size difference between the lock groove, the diameter of the part that fits on the axle just because of the different size of tools and space between the sides of the handles. So a pair of scissors on one tool may not fit on a particular tool you want it too. Best too measure up before attempting.
I am going to get a Gerber MP600 Cable Cutter as soon as I can get one over here (still not available here :() so I can put the interchangeable saw from my Pro Scout into it. I am just hopeing it will fit OK with them both being MP600 designs.

Dave

I think it is very likely that the Gerber blades will interchange Dave. I have a set of the cable cutter jaws for my Evolution 650, along with regular needlenose jaws. They all use the same means of attachment. I'm sure the new Gerber MP600 Cable Cutter is a standard handle and blade mechanism, just with different jaws.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 02:45:58 AM
I stopped by a local pawn shop the other day and found two bit sets that had 6-star tamper resistant bits included,  but the boxes were both empty.  The owner said that he had sold both sets the day before and the customer just forgot the boxs.  The bits were made by Sioux Tools whose factory is in  town, the owner of the shop said that a woman he knows works there and brings the sets every couple of months for him to sell.  He told me to stop by from time to time.  I also found a new LM folding knife for $15.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 02:53:21 AM
Awesome find!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 06:08:27 AM
cool finds prime!

I am resorting to sending my LM in for tightening of the screws.. I waited a while to find some security bits but its time to get my LM fixed. So back to LM it goes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%