Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Damascus slip joint

Offline Hamed Khan

Damascus slip joint
on: February 26, 2024, 02:28:05 PM
Hey all

I’m looking for a slip joint (UK law) with a Damascus steel blade as more of a gentleman’s knife - preferably with some wood in the handle as these are beautiful.
My range is £50-£150 but I’m not sure which brands are high quality in this department as the big names (Victorinox, Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, Gerber) tend not to focus on such knives.

Any suggestions or insights into sub-types of Damascus steel would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

H

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Damascus slip joint
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 03:55:39 PM
Hopefully you find what you are wanting :salute:

I am going to move this to Edged Tools as you might get a better response there :tu:

Offline Hamed Khan

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 06:07:04 PM
Hopefully you find what you are wanting :salute:

I am going to move this to Edged Tools as you might get a better response there :tu:
Many Thanks

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 10:44:33 PM
Hi Hamed,
      I think the only Damascus blade knives that I have seen in this price range are Chinese?  There are quite a few locking blade knives and non-folding types, but not so many slip joints.  I noticed that Boker has a few slip joints that may or may not be legal in the UK.    Bear and Son makes some Damascus slip joints. 
      There are other choices, but most cost quite a bit more.  Damascus is attractive, but a lot of the people who buy them are disappointed in the edge holding qualities.  At least that is what I hear.  I doubt that I have been much help, but I hate to see a question by a member unanswered.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :hatsoff:

Screenshot (90).jpg
* Screenshot (90).jpg (Filesize: 74.54 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:04:37 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 11:40:01 PM
A couple of brands that come to mind that offer Damascus slip-joints are LionSteel, Case, and Rough Ryder.

You would probably have to stretch your budget a bit for a new LionSteel or Case.

Rough Ryder are significantly cheaper, and great value for the money.

Case and Rough Ryder tend to be more bone handles than wood.  LionSteel definitely has some wood handles available.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 02:17:51 AM
Any suggestions or insights into sub-types of Damascus steel would be much appreciated!
I’m not completely clear on what you’re asking here, but I’ll take a stab at it.

Generally, when you see adjectives in front of the word Damascus like ladder, raindrop, twist, etc., those refer to the pattern of the Damascus.  This is purely aesthetic.

Something I would consider is whether the Damascus is carbon steel or stainless.  Personally, I mostly prefer stainless steel for pocket knives (especially if appearance is important) for the increased rust resistance.

Another factor to consider is hardness.  Personally, I’m generally of the opinion that harder is better when it comes to pocket knife blades, as a harder blade will stay sharp longer (all other things being equal, but will be more difficult to sharpen if and when it does get dull), and a pocket knife blade shouldn’t really be subject to impact loading (e.g. chopping) that would make brittleness a concern.

You may find some manufacturers specify the maker and or trade name of the Damascus they use, but many do not.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%