Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been drooooling over the cybertool 41

tt Offline [X]Outlaw

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
on: August 16, 2011, 04:56:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new here but not new to Vic's at all  :D

I've been EDC a SAK on me for the last 15yrs, fist a spartan camo and for the last five years a Huntsman. I started collecting SAK's about four years ago when I was introduced to the Alox line. My collection includes cadets, pioneers and farmers in limited run colors as well as a older red harvester with the older cross on it.

Alox, as beautiful as they are just has limited functionality to me so my EDC is always a 91mm cellidor scale knife.

So being in the market for a EDC with a bit more functionality I read a lot here about the cybertool line. A lot of people expressed that the 41 is to big for pocket carry. So I was toying with the idea of getting a 34 and pairing it with a Charge TTi, but I really don't want to be carrying two tools around and I hardly need a full size pliers (I usually have one in the car and in my tool box).

Having been a person that grew up with Vic's (and MacGyver lol!) I never really warmed up to pliers type multitools. My brother however loves them and EDC the older wave (The version without the bit driver). I carried it for a day and it felt ok in my pocket, I didn't really notice a difference from my Huntsman, but it just didn't "feel" right to me. All that said...the Charge TTi looks beautiful with those titanium scales!!

So back to my original point, the CT41. I decided to go check one out at a local store yesterday and see how it feels. They didn't have the 41 though, so I looked at the CT lite instead since I just wanted to get a feel for the size of the tool. I must say its not as bad as I thought it was. It fit nicely in my hands and slipped right into my pocket. I did notice the difference in size over my huntsman but it wasn't uncomfortable nor did it bulged in the pocket of my dress pants which means it would fit perfectly in cargo pants. The bit driver is absolutely beautiful! And oh my I love the sound SAKs make when you open and close them. Right then and there I knew that I must have the 41, which is about 1mm slimmer than the lite and has all the tools that I use on a regular basis.

I also have an idea on how I think I could get the Wiha 4mm bits to stay secure in the bit driver. My main hobby is RC helicopters. On nitro powered modes we use tiny magnets on the clutch bell or cooling fan that are read by a hall effect sensor to read engine RsPM (The governor then uses this to keep the engine at a set RPM). I'm going to JB weld one of these to the bottom of a Wiha 4mm bit and see how well it works.

I'm going to be ordering my CT41 next week and could hardly wait!! I am going to change out the Ruby scales to Sapphire , that color just looks like candy! I'll put the Ruby ones on my trusty Huntsman after all the years of hard use its given me.  :climber:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Been drooooling over the cybertool 41
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:39 PM
Welcome!

The Cybertool 41 is the size of a standard SwissChamp.  I EDC one at work.  However, I've swapped on Timekeeper scales, so I call it Cybertimer 41. :D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:42:23 PM
It's an awesome SAK, the 41. Personally, I find it too big so I EDC a CT34 instead.
Oh and welcome! :cheers:
Any pics of your collection? :pok:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:52:06 PM
The CT34 is indeed a lovely SAK.  Especially in green!  :drool:
I'm back!!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:16:45 PM
Or brownish/reddish onyx!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:25 PM
You could get an alox cybertool from a modder ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

tt Offline [X]Outlaw

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:23:40 PM
But I'll loose the cork screw and all the scale tools  :(

I would like to get into modding myself...but so much hobbies lol, knives, RC helicopters, CNC, computers....oh where does the time go!!

I'll see if I could post up my collection thus far tonight  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:32:55 PM by [X]Outlaw »

de Offline Jmora

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:12 PM
welcome to the forum [X]Outlaw  :cheers:
I have the CT41 and it is great of course, it fits into the change pocket of my jeans pretty nicely, and doesn't feel too heavy. and it has pretty much everything.
looking forward to photos of your collection.  :)

tt Offline [X]Outlaw

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:21 PM
I got my CT41 yesterday!!! OH my! I was going to change out the ruby scales to sapphire but these ruby scales look sooo beautiful in person.

This SAK has absolutely everything I need for my day to day activities; electronics, computers, hobby stuff. Like a little kid I took the bit driver to every screw and bolt I could find to see just how well it works. I must say I am impressed how much force you can apply with that tool. I've tried it on self threading screws in MDF and hard wood materials, Hex bolts with blue thread lock that was set, torx screws on old hard drives. It work well on all the applications I tried. I especially like how it has a 90* stop position, very useful for those tighter bolts. My wife just kept shaking her head while I found new things to unscrew lol.

The wire cutters are pretty small but work well on servo wires (even though most times I just snip those with scissors).

The knife feels very nice and solid in my hands, not to big to get a decent grip on. I've been carrying it in my pocket today I could hardly notice its there. I don't think its too big for pocket carry at all.

All in all I don't think anyone could go wrong with this SAK  :climber:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:22:53 AM
I think anyone looking for a Cybertool 41 should get one while they can. I'm not sure they will produce anymore once the stock runs out, because I suspect when the new SwissChamp is released it will be too close; atleast for a while they won't be around sort-of like the history of the champion/champion-plus after the SwissChamp.  I think they have stopped production on the 41, but I don't know how long it will take them to come-up with the design for the new champ, that's obviously not something to be taken lightly.

tt Offline [X]Outlaw

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:35:46 AM
WOW! Didn't know the 41 was discontinued. Makes me think seriously about getting a second one.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:08 AM
Wow, a new swisschamp model  :gimme: Can't wait on that.
Although I like the swisschamp, I was never too fond on its younger cousin, the CT41, for some strange reason. I actually prefer the CT34 but I'm still seeking a chance to get one.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:25 AM
do you have more info on this new swisschamp?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:52 AM
WOW! Didn't know the 41 was discontinued. Makes me think seriously about getting a second one.
I don't know if it "Officially" is... with SAKs they are often just taking a rest. This is based on the fact that it is hard to find in the US now, but still quite a few available in Europe, but not many bargains any more on them.
do you have more info on this new swisschamp?
Sorry I don't; just as reported earlier that Victorinox kas officially kicked off a new SwissChamp design project. 

Since they already had the XLT, which is a fine model, I'm guessing the new one could be more like the CT-41 to maintain a smaller size.  I'm very excited that it might have some new tool(s) we have not seen yet; seems like it is time to change the opener's layer a bit especially if you have a bit-driver in the knife.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:03 PM
Sorry I don't; just as reported earlier that Victorinox kas officially kicked off a new SwissChamp design project. 

Since they already had the XLT, which is a fine model, I'm guessing the new one could be more like the CT-41 to maintain a smaller size.  I'm very excited that it might have some new tool(s) we have not seen yet; seems like it is time to change the opener's layer a bit especially if you have a bit-driver in the knife.

Maybe it will get a Damascus steel blade and ebony scales, like this Climber:

But probably not ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:48:06 PM by Reinier »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 03:56:33 PM
We should maybe start a thread on what we think the new SwissChamp should be to give them a few ideas. 

Just found a couple Cybertool 41s I'll be listing on EDCs or ebay.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:13 PM
The 41 always called to me , my former apprentice has one , he seems pretty happy with it . If they are being D/Ced , I'll try an grab one .

Chris

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 12:58:12 AM
Well this thread got me to thinking that I didn't have a Cybertool 41 yet. I fixed that problem recently, and the 41 came in today.

Here it is living it up with a CT 29, and a CT 34.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:02:34 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

bn Offline jojotlc

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 03:27:13 PM
We should maybe start a thread on what we think the new SwissChamp should be to give them a few ideas. 

can't wait for :mail: collect card....3 weeks to go.. i hope :D 
a 29'ners in few months will put me about less than 200s less than Chako's  owesome collection :salute:
Inner Peace  8-)

de Offline Jmora

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

good idea. especially seeing the guys having lunch with Tim Leatherman in Portland, it emphasizes the fact that MT.org has some influence on these companies. On the SAK front, Carl Elsener commented on how MT.org's theory for the change in orientation of the Swisstool pliers being entirely conrrect.
...hmmm someone should start a thread,...how to go about starting a thread... :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%