Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need legal advice for my US and Canada trip

Woz · 9 · 1299

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Need legal advice for my US and Canada trip
on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:12 AM
Hi mates.

I will visit the US of A and Canada in March 2012. We plan to fly to NYC, spend some days there, then rent a car and visit WDC, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, the Niagara Falls and Toronto, then Boston and finally NYC again to fly home.

I'd love to carry a MT or SAK there, but I know that some places have very strict laws on knives. So my question is, is it legal to carry a Leatherman Juice or maybe a Spartan EVERYWHERE on that trip, or are there any places where I might get in trouble? We want to visit the Empire State building, the White House (outside only), a Broadway show, Liberty Island and some other monuments, maybe there are controls at the entrances? I eo not want to get in trouble, but 3 weeks without any tools seems to be impossible. :think:

Thanks for your answers, mates!  :salute:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Need legal advice for my US and Canada trip
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:48:19 PM
Short answer is yes.  You can carry in public.  No problem with Juice or ANY Victorinox product.

Other than court houses and some government buildings, I don't know of any knife restrictions at national parks or monuments.

PM inbound...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:07:52 PM
Same as above here- the only restrictions in Canada are no balisongs, no auto's and nothing deliberately concealed.  Carrying a pocket knife in your pocket is not considered concealed though, but if you are caught trying to smuggle a knife into a courthouse or airport then you'll have issues.

For the most part any Swiss Army Knife or multitool is going to be considered legal, and provided you don't use something as a weapon it's not likely to be classed as one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:02:41 PM
You could buy a SAK when you get here, and then you'll have a souvenir.  :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:51:10 PM
It's worth saying that since you're flying into NYC, do not have a pocket clip showing, whether on a SAK or other knife; furthermore, you do not want to have a OH knife on you.  Police have been known to seek out seeing a pocket clip, and then classifying a lot of non-gravity knives (ie Spydercos) as such, and confiscating them.  Keeping a Spartan in your pocket, however, should be fine.  Don't expect to carry it to the Statue of Liberty, though.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:54:37 PM
In Toronto and Niagara falls, there's no attraction that have restrictions as far as I know, knife clipped to pocket is fine.

In NYC any sort of indoor attraction, empire state building, , statue of liberty, museums, etc. will have metal detector and will not allow any sort of knife inside, so leave them in the hotel (or car if you are driving).

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:36:22 PM
In Toronto and Niagara falls, there's no attraction that have restrictions as far as I know, knife clipped to pocket is fine.
Good to hear, I am going there in September :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline rioredgt

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:33:05 AM
Begining in October, the Statue of Liberty will be closed for a year, for renovations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/statue-of-liberty-to-clos_0_n_924028.html

Robert

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:22 AM
Thank you for the info. Guess I´ll have to bring a large tele for my camera  :D
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00