Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman 'saved the day' thread

us Offline Craig_S

Leatherman 'saved the day' thread
on: June 10, 2023, 04:23:50 PM
We all use our Leathermans as much as possible, sometimes every day. Sometimes they're a life saver (literally), and sometimes they help out enough that we're really, really grateful to have them.

I wanted to both tell and hear about how a LM saved the day here. Not as a lifesaver (maybe we should have a thread about that too), but how it made a huge difference in that situation.

How did your Leatherman save the day?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:32:59 PM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick

us Offline Craig_S

Re: Leatherman 'saved the day' thread
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 04:28:44 PM
Last Friday, I left the YMCA to go across town and work at our other location (outside pool located in a park). The concession stand screen needed replaced, and there was a piece of trim in front of it that had to be removed. The guy that installed it buried the screws so deep that I couldn't even see them, and of course it was a square head that was rusted out anyway.

My Crunch saved me from a 45 minute trip on a Friday afternoon to get my vice grips.

Craig

* 20230610_102931.jpg (Filesize: 458.87 KB)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:35:49 PM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 04:47:50 PM
 :woohoo: My Leatherman has helped me so much over the years!  They have saved me so many trips to search for a regular tool for a job :salute: being a Mason by trade, I never have any of the tools on a muliltitool handy (except for a blade,  usually a utility blade knife) and screwdrivers, files, saws, pliers etc have been a big help to me over the years and I have evolved my edc to a point that I rarely have to look for dedicated tools of that nature to do the tasks that I usually do :tu:

Great story and I am glad that the Crunch was featured as saving the day 8) :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 05:06:18 PM
CRUNCH  :woohoo:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 06:19:15 PM
I don’t have any literal life saving stories, nor have a pulled a thorn from a lions paw, but I did take apart a dishwasher with my Wave. 

The drain was clogged with a bunch of particulate. To get to the drain assembly, I needed the pliers, the pry bar, and T10 and T20 bits (also ratchet).  I’ve done this twice now.

Like your screen door repair, and to echo Poncho, so many time saving fixes and on the fly fixes. 

Great job with the Crunch  :like:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 08:16:23 PM
I love it... Leatherman saves the day (again)  :tu:  Your story reminds me why pliers-based multitools are the best.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 10:04:57 PM
Great story and thread, Craig  :like:  :tu:

I don't have one to tell at the moment, but I can say that a Leatherman has saved me many steps over the past 2 years. Most commonly when I go to my work van for a piece of wire and find that I left my pliers in the house I am working at.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 05:36:24 AM
I agree 💯.  I think that's what Tim Leatherman had in mind when he invented the PST.  Great thread!
Barry

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 01:46:25 AM
Crunch saved the day again. I didn't have my channel locks and this big nut wouldn't budge with the Surge on it. (Luckily the huge one was finger tight.) Without the crunch I would've had to drive across town instead of being able to chat up the pretty young lifeguards.  >:D

Craig

* 1687477060578_20230622_175401.jpg (Filesize: 236.93 KB)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 01:51:36 AM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 11:04:06 AM
 :cheers: Craig!
Barry

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 02:20:23 AM
Nice one Craig  :tu:

We’re moving across the country and spent the last couple days packing up the truck. My Kick proved indispensable, and was helped by the mighty Explorer.  I didn’t grab any pics, because we were busy packing the truck, but here’s a few ways having the Kick on my belt saved the day.

To preface I’ll say my in laws flew in to help move as we’re driving back to their state. They, like my wife, are not multitool “people” as I am. My father in law is a carpenter, and painter and keeps a folder in his pocket and a diverse set of tools in a dedicated tool bag with him at all times in his truck. Except, this time flying he could not bring his bag. We packed up most of my tools except for a smallish toolbox. So, 3 people working off of one tool box at our house led to several moments where I was always conveniently ready for the task with my Kick. By the end of the day, the question “hey you got your tool?” became quite common.

1) packed an entry way cubby (like the ones you see in a day care or preschool). Couldn’t properly lift it as the top piece was loose, so Philips driver quickly tightened on the spot. Small boxes fit perfect in the open spaces, but coat hooks prohibited fully stacking. Philips driver quickly removed while in the truck. Didn’t have to go searching for a screwdriver.

2) TV packed into box. Used the knife to cut foam from an old tv box to fit this one after one of the kids decided to destroy the foam that came with it (good thing I save boxes).

3) found a couple spots that needed touch up paint just before we left and the toolbox was packed. Wife did the painting and handed her my kick to open the can with the pry bar.

4) secured the truck in several places with plastic web fencing as a cargo net. Used the Kick wire cutters and knife to cut the webbing.  I think at this point my Kick and Explorer were the only tools still available so we would’ve had nothing else to use.

5) the best moment… made sandwiches for the drive before we left. Oh no, the kitchen knives are buried in the truck. “Hey you got your tool?” Yes, folks, always, and it’s razor sharp to slice that tomato!

IMG_2860.jpg
* IMG_2860.jpg (Filesize: 139.87 KB)

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 02:38:44 AM
 :like: Nice, GB! I can definitely see a Leatherman saving the day when there's no other tools available!

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 05:08:00 AM
By the end of the day, the question “hey you got your tool?” became quite common.
I think we have a new convert! :woohoo: I don't envy you for moving all that stuff cross-country, though.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 05:49:51 AM
:like: Nice, GB! I can definitely see a Leatherman saving the day when there's no other tools available!

Craig

:cheers: That’s the value for the money for me  :multi:m

I could have used a crunch several times recently. I just like my ol 4” vise grips so much I kee going back to them.  The price of the crunch is hard to justify.

I think we have a new convert! :woohoo: I don't envy you for moving all that stuff cross-country, though.

I am wondering if he’s seen the light.  My brother in law is on the same page as me, but my father in law is a toolbox kind of guy and very frugal. We’re talking about getting him a Bond and he may actually be amenable to it now! 

We’re currently renovating our new house so many opportunities to prove its usefulness.

The move has been quite the ordeal I don’t recommend… :surrender:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD