Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OKC Utilitac II Tanto.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
OKC Utilitac II Tanto.
on: August 28, 2011, 12:11:30 AM
When this new series of Utilitac's came out their design caught my eye. The original Utilitac didn't really peek my interest but these Utilitac II's are different. The version I got came in yesterday and I have to say I am impressed by this one.

These are a Joe Pardue / Ontario Knife Company collaboration. But unlike most of OKC's offerings, this one is built overseas in Taiwan.....which I have no problem with as I own many a knife built in Taiwan. They can build a knife.

The version I have here is a JPT-4R, OKC model #8910. Closed length is 4 9/16" and it's blade is 3 3/8". The blade is a wide modified Tanto style built from 1/8" thick AUS-8 stainless. It's flat ground and black EDP coated. The frame is 1/2 thick and is constructed of dual satin finished stainless liners each measured at 1/16" thick. On top of those sit a pair of textured black Zytel slabs each measuring in at around 3/32". Seperating the frame are two stainless cylindrical spacers as well as a roughly 3/4 length Zytel frame spacer. All held together by blackened stainless Torx bolts.

The blade runs on a pair of phosphorous/bronze bushings and opens very smoothly. The blade itself sports a pair of blackened stainless stepped thumbstuds giving easy ambidextrous opening. And both the thumbramp section of the blade spine as well as about 1 inch of the back of the frame above the pivot point are knurled for greater purchase.....

The knife is a linerlock. The lock is plenty stout and engages solid........

And at the relief point of the linerlock where your thumb would engage it is machined here for more positive engagment. The knife also sports a stainless EDP coated pocketclip that is fully ambidextrous, allowing for Tip-Up or Tip-Down carry on both sides.

Fit and finish is excellent. Faultless blade grinds with evenly honed edges, and this thing came sharp as a razor. It's nipped me already. Even fit of all frame components with a gap free finish. Rock solid lock engagement with zero lateral or horizontal play. Very ergonomic frame design, very comfortable in the hand. Overall a very nice piece of great build quality for a mere $40 or so.

The only extra is that the knife came with a black nylon pocket lanyard. Not something I care for or use, but a nice added feature. While I've not carried or used this piece yet, on initial review I can't speak highly enough of this piece. I am quite impressed, it's alot of knife for the money.

And I have no doubt I'll be getting some more of these in the future.  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: OKC Utilitac II Tanto.
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:33:00 AM
I'm a big fan of tanto blades.  This one looks like a modified clip point/tanto blade.  Definitely looks stout!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%