Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coworkers and Spirit replacements

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
on: September 04, 2011, 05:54:40 PM
So, a couple days ago at work I loan my Spirit S to a coworker for 5 minutes to tighten a screw in a customers computer. I assume he put it in his pocket or something because I was too busy with another customer's computer to pay attention. After I'm done with my customer I ask him for it back. He doesn't have it. In fact the last time he remembers seeing it he set it down in the customer's shopping cart. Which means on top of him getting his optical drive tightened back in place for free, he also got himself a new Swisstool Spirit. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we don't loan people tools. The coworker in question now owes me a new multi, but is just as broke as I am so I'm willing to compromise a bit seeing as the Spirit is a couple years old and pretty beat up. I'm willing to settle for a used Spirit X or Swisstool X or perhaps a decent SAK. Can't really decide, so this is where the community comes in: What should I have him buy me that costs a bit less than a new Spirit? Do I even stick with a Vic? Having trouble making up my mind. Anyone have anything lightly used they're looking to sell? Throw me some suggestions.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Coworkers and Spirit replacements
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:04:35 PM
Only thing I can suggest is shoot your coworker for crimes against multitooldom!

I had something similar a few years back with my PST.When they found out what it was worth the moved heaven,earth and our loading bay apart to find it(my standing behind them with a cricket bat may have encouraged them >:D)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:17:49 PM
Some people don't have their own tools because they always loose them... keep your tools away from these people.  Only loan to people you know have their own great tools because they will respect your tools.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:33:23 PM
If I lost someones USED Swiss Tool I would be buying them a BRAND NEW Swiss Tool as the replacement. It is just a respect factor.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:28 PM
If I lost someones USED Swiss Tool I would be buying them a BRAND NEW Swiss Tool as the replacement. It is just a respect factor.
Like he said!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:39 PM
My sympathy's mate. :-\  I lent my Spirit to a colleague just the other week (they were the only pair of pliers in the building), he then gave them to someone else to pass on to me, who then let someone else have a look at them, who then put them down somewhere..... :ahhh  Luckily people quickly got the idea I wasn't very happy and they were quickly found.

As to what you might want; a Blast is also a good MT with a similar tool selection to a Spirit and can be found at good prices.  Or, if you're into computer repairs, then what about a Cybertool?  Personally I'd say that neither one is a replacement for a Spirit though, good tools that they are. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 06:40:24 PM
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 09:04:51 PM
My father, who was a mechanic, always said, "Never lend out your tools!".

I'd have the guy give me $50 and then I'd use that to help finance a new Spirit.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:07:22 PM by shamus »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 09:20:25 PM
Grrr.... whatever you get, keep hold of it this time!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:03:02 PM
Like he said!

+1 on this!! I don't care how old, used or beaten is my item, if one borrows it and then lose or brake it... Well, get me another new one...

I know I done this once or twice (not with MT's), broke something I borrowed, and go out and bought new one...

Sit him down by PC, open Amazon.com (or ebay) show him the prices, go to our edcsource site and let him use his card and buy you a tool back....

IMHO it's the only right thing to do.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:52:38 AM
Well first introduce him to all your friends here. Next sit him down and ask nicely for a replacement. Tell him he can make payments since he is as broke as you. If he says yes then your good to go. If he says no....then tell him all your friends on here will come up there at one time with multis in hand and remove every hair on his body one at time. If he still refuses to pay up then we start on the teeth...and so forth and so on. :evil:  >:D
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:02:02 AM
It probably goes without staying that you should NOT be jerk about the whole thing. If he is willing to help pay for a replacement, then graciously accept what he is able and wiling to give.

If he can't pay for a replacement (or is unwilling)  then graciously accept that as the consequence for your decision to lend the tool in the first place.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:04:47 AM by shamus »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:20 AM
I'll combine a few answers into one post here:

1) I know he will pay, but he's as broke as me so I'm compromising a bit. 2) I already have a Cybertool- it stays home because it's what my GF uses around the apartment.
3) I don't like the Blast
4) I normally don't lend out my multis, but it was needed to get the job done quickly, customer service and all that
5) I'll give the EDC Source listing a look
6) He did do the whole "tear the place apart for the rest of his shift" thing. I actually made me laugh because he was so desperate to find the thing but I knew full well it was gone and the futility was a bit satisfying to my aggravation.
7) It briefly entered my mind to make him buy me the "Road" Spirit but I couldn't be that mean lol.
8) Showing him the prices on Amazon is exactly what I did so he knows full well what it's worth

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 05:45:08 AM
When someone asks to borrow my pliers...i go to my toolbag and give them a pair of Kobalt pliers. I do not lend out my Charge..period.

I have somewhat of a rep at work for being a tool jackass...but all mine are accounted for going on 6 years now. I'll even chase someone down for a #2 bit. I have a bag and box full of klien, knipex & snap-on and being ocd about them pays off.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 06:10:28 AM
That stinks. However I'm glad to hear that he is apparently planning to make it right.

I have given away multis at work to colleagues I like, but I don't lend them out. People don't even ask; they usually ask me to do something for them if they need a knife or screwdriver. I do keep a cheap toolkit (tape measure, pliers, razor knife, screwdriver) that i got on clearance somewhere for about $3, and I'd lend that out if needed.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 06:50:23 AM
thing is, they werent really out of my site. this all happened literally 3 feet from me while I had my back turned helping a different customer. And the thing about retal is I dont exactly have a bag of tools I can loan out. Honestly, seeing as we work on computers all day youd think we'd have tools available, but no, of course not.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:19 AM
Can't you find the contact info of this client and ask politely for your Spirit? :think:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 02:36:45 PM
Nope, we don't have anything on file. It's a retail environment (Office Depot) so we don't track everyone through the door, especially when we didn't even charge the guy for the 12 seconds of work we did tightening down his optical drive.

Offline tapong

Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:59 PM
heck the customer might just return it. wait like a week or so and if it doesnt turn up then consider what i usually do to avoid awkwardness: offer to flip for it (heads=new tails=forget it, do something embarassing like sing "friday" in public)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 04:34:11 PM
Thats a cool solution!Not as nice as a new tool but still...

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 06:26:39 PM
Ouch.  I'm sure as careful as we want to be this has or is going to happen to all of us at some point.  I usually refuse lending anyone a multi in hopes they will be frustrated and learn to get one for themselves that being said it's still going to happen.  Sorry for your loss.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 06:37:13 PM
Ahhh, break out the punishment chicken! :viking:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 01:43:43 AM
I'm honestly leaning towards having him get me either a Work Champ or Hercules. They can be had cheaper (I think Tim has a Hercules for like 50 bucks) and I've always wanted to check out the 111mm line but never got around to spending the dough. I actually keep thinking that a Hercules with the saw removed would fit into my EDC rotation really, really well.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:42 AM
..... do something embarassing like sing "friday" in public...

He lost a tool, not my child

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:43 AM
How about the Wave. Slightly cheaper than the Spirit, and maybe this could be blessing in disguise. You might like the Wave more. Even if you don't, Waves keep their resale value and you could resell it offset getting a new Spirit. It's always good to try new things. Personally I don't think anything from the 111mm line could replace a plier based MT. Do what ever makes you happy though.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 05:14:20 AM
Just have him give you money until he gives you what it was worth and buy another one. I would be furious if a co-worker lost my Vic Spirit.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 05:38:46 AM
Some people don't have their own tools because they always loose them... keep your tools away from these people.  Only loan to people you know have their own great tools because they will respect your tools.

Of course people that have their own tools don't need to borrow yours, so the bottom line is don't lend your tools.

It's astounding that people can be so freakin' careless with other peoples personal property - that sort of stuff is a pet hate of mine.  People want to borrow your stuff and are really miffed if you are too damned uptight to lend it, then when they are lent something they are careless and break or lose it, grrrrrrr!
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:19 AM
I had a Wave for years. No desire for another one. To be honest I like the Swisstool a lot better than the Spirit. I only started carrying the Spirit again after I lost my Swisstool X. I wasnt that attatched to it. Dont get me wrong, its an awesome tool, but replacing it with something different is honestly rather appealing.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 06:19:28 AM
I had a Wave for years. No desire for another one. To be honest I like the Swisstool a lot better than the Spirit. I only started carrying the Spirit again after I lost my Swisstool X. I wasnt that attatched to it. Dont get me wrong, its an awesome tool, but replacing it with something different is honestly rather appealing.

Well I just hope he willingly gives you the funds he owes you and makes everything right.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 06:24:49 AM
Im pretty confident he will. I went from smurffed the smurf off, to seeing it as an opportunity to get my first new, different multi in over a year.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%