Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Could SAK prices rise due to foreign investment in Switzerland?

Offline drone6

I heard this story on my ride home:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/09/02/140146349/switzerland-too-strong-for-its-own-good

Swatch is quoted as saying profits are down 12% due to increased currency value from international investors. The first thing I thought about was increased SAK prices!  :(

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Could SAK prices rise due to foreign investment in Switzerland?
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:40 PM
Either prices will rise or they will have to cut profits. The issue is not really "Investment in Switzerland" as much as it is "The Swiss Franc is one of the most stable and attractive currencies right now". The Swiss Franc, along with the US dollar, the Euro and the UK pound sterling are four of the major "investment" currencies in the world. Only the Swiss Franc is in good shape right now, and is rising compared to all the rest - esp the USD. Economy problems in Europe, the United States, and the UK would indicate that this is a trend that is likely to continue for a while.

Last year the exchange rate was US$0.80/1 CHF. Now it's up around US$1.25/1 CHF. As an example (with 100% made up numbers), let's say a Spartan costs Victorinox 5 CHF to make (this year and last year). Last year they were able to sell that Spartan here in the US (their largest market) for US$10 (12.50 CHF) and make 7.50 CHF profit. Today if the same 5 CHF Spartan is sold for US$10 (8 CHF), they make only 3 CHF profit. That's a pretty big swing in profit margin in a single year based on nothing other than fluctuations in currency exchange rate. So I can see where it'd be a big issue for them. They're already fighting price pressure from cheap Chinese knock-offs, and now their own strong currency is raising their cost basis.

A strong nation currency is always a double edged sword. The strength of the currency typically indicates a good economy and allows the citizens to purchase imported items cheaply. This was how things were in the US up until about 2006 - esp concerning goods from Europe. A weak currency sucks for those of us buying imported items, but it does make our country's exports more attractive (e.g. Boeing planes are cheaper than Airbus planes) and spur investment in local manufacturing (e.g. VW building an assembly plant in Tennessee because it was too expensive to import cars from Europe).

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:49:18 PM
I notice it here living on the swiss border. the swiss are coming into town to do their shopping, as things cost only 50% of what they cost in Switzerland at the moment. Swiss retailers on the other side of the border are having a hard time this summer though.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:29:01 PM
So, Switzerland will have to buy lots of dollars and euros to devaluate their coin a bit. The good news is that both USA and Europe (euro zone) are emitting a lot of debt in these coins. So nothing to see here, move along move along  :cheers:

just kidding of course, this is not going to be easy 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
So, Switzerland will have to buy lots of dollars and euros to devaluate their coin a bit.

They did that some 3 weeks ago. The frank got to strong for the swiss economy.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
So, Switzerland will have to buy lots of dollars and euros to devaluate their coin a bit.

They did that some 3 weeks ago. The frank got to strong for the swiss economy.

Looks like they're getting serious about it now:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/09/06/140211340/swiss-to-everybody-else-go-away-now

I hope they drive prices down before those Damascus Climbers get here!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%