Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK's in school

FredKJ · 57 · 6654

Offline FredKJ

SAK's in school
on: December 16, 2007, 01:53:03 PM
When I got my new kinves for myself I picked up a couple of Explorer models for my 11 year old twin boys.  Unfortunately they have to be taught not to carry them in many places, especially school.  When I was growning up(I'm 49 now, lol) it was a rite of passage for a father to give a son a pocket knife.  It meant he was saying you are responsible now.  Of course he taught you how to use and care for it properly.  Boy Scouts formalizes it with a tot n chip or the current equivalent.  I always carried a pocket knife in school as many of my friends did.  Teachers would often ask to borrow it. 

Now if you show up at school with one they call in SWAT and Homeland Security and it's a second class felony or something which immediately gets you kicked out.  Of course in the genre of pocket knives a SAK is pretty de-weaponized. 

Before 911 going through airport security I would drop my pocket knife in the basket with my keys and change.  We know what would happen now.  I always have to be careful going through all my carryon stuff to make sure I'm not packing heat. or I get  :twak: from TSA same as my boys would in school.  I'm sure many of you guys like me would feel naked without carrying a pocket knife.

Of course I grew up in a rural South Alabama farm community and after Christmas for show and tell the kids would bring in their new 410 or 20 gauge they got for Christmas to show and the experience of their first dove or quail hunt with their dad or uncle.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SAK's in school
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:01:49 PM
I agree- in my day I always carried a SAK and even worse, I decorated my locker with a dummy hand grenade!

Just imagine the fun that would cause today!

I don;t mind the airplane thing so much really.  While I do feel naked without a SAK or multi on me, I can manage for a few hours without one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:56:52 PM
I agree- in my day I always carried a SAK and even worse, I decorated my locker with a dummy hand grenade!

Just imagine the fun that would cause today!

I don;t mind the airplane thing so much really.  While I do feel naked without a SAK or multi on me, I can manage for a few hours without one.

Def

I have noticed that Victorinox  makes "travelers" models without a blade especially the flash memory ones.  I think they still have a nail file and might not pass TSA srutiny.  I once was going from the DIA airport in Denver to Budapest.  I had an harmonica in a case that got them all hot and bothered.  The only act of terrorism I could do with it is if I played it.

I have traveled to Eastern Europe and noticed a difference.  Security at the Budapest airport is much more layed back.  I am also an amateur radio operator, ab0wc and had a handheld with me.  You are supposed to declare it in customs.  I went up to the counter which was not busy and the basic attitude was he had more important things to do.  If I carry a handheld in my carryon especially with a magmount antenna I always get the supposed "random" bomb sniff test.  I learned to carry it on my belt and all they do is check to see if it works normally.

I wonder what MacGyver would do if he had to travel around these days.  :police:  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 03:12:35 PM
Leatherman also makes an air travel version of the Fuse without a knife blade, but to be honest, I think I wouldn't even try.  To me it's not worth the effort of trying to explain to the mindless "security" drones at the airport that it passes all regulations.  Their feeble minds are wired to say "SAKs= BAD" over and over and they really have no interest in squabbling with passengers.  Upset their daily routine at your own peril.  Security folks, especially the mindless variety can be amazingly vindictive if provoked and arguing with them over a nail file can result in a body cavity search, which will probably cause you to miss your flight.

If you think you feel naked without a SAK, imagine how you'll feel when you ARE naked with a strange man's finger in your hiney, and he isn't a doctor.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 03:15:56 PM
Leatherman also makes an air travel version of the Fuse without a knife blade, but to be honest, I think I wouldn't even try.  To me it's not worth the effort of trying to explain to the mindless "security" drones at the airport that it passes all regulations.  Their feeble minds are wired to say "SAKs= BAD" over and over and they really have no interest in squabbling with passengers.  Upset their daily routine at your own peril.  Security folks, especially the mindless variety can be amazingly vindictive if provoked and arguing with them over a nail file can result in a body cavity search, which will probably cause you to miss your flight.

If you think you feel naked without a SAK, imagine how you'll feel when you ARE naked with a strange man's finger in your hiney, and he isn't a doctor.

Def

Tell me about it.  We had a sweep by NICE of the DIA security personnel here a couple of years ago.  Many of the TSA workers ironical were "illegals" including a foreman.  They aren't exactly the sharpest tools on the SAK.  They would not appreciate the subtle difference of a travelers model and the thought of being detained and a body cavity search does not exactly thrill me.

Offline cryptrick

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 03:19:43 PM
Unfortunately thats what most places/schools are like nowadays, including here in England. I used to carry a Victorinox Classic with me to college and why shouldn't I. I don't ever remember being spoken to by a teacher about it, but there again it wasn't used an awful lot and I didn't flaunt it like some kids would. It wasn't carried as a weapon, but a useful tool and was used as a useful tool. I've left college now, but they would confiscate immediately if they seen it. Its very strange because peoples perceptions went from SAK's being useful tools to carry wherever you went, to suddenly (nowadays) they are a deadly knife that is used to murder people and so many people seem almost offended if they see you carrying one now. We should be able to carry them as what they are made for, a useful multitool.
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:31:48 PM
It's kind of sad what has happened to the tradition of a father giving a son a pocket knife.  A SAK is a very good one as well as it is clearly a "tool".  It makes it difficult to give your son a knife as it adds a level of stupid instructions you have to give them of when and where they can carry it.  Now instead of a tool it is a terrorist assault weapon.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:33:33 PM
Security personnel (and trust me, I know the industry intimately!) are rarely ever hired for their intelligence, and since they are not a revenue generating service, most companies tend to go very cheap.  They are also usually contracted out, and contract companies usually hire anyone they can when there's a juicy contract dangled in front of them.  I have personally witnessed a security guard assembly line, where folks were lined up on one side of the office, taking turns walking past the table signing the tax forms, signing the license forms, grabbing a uniform and walking out the other side.  Many of them did not even have a functional grasp of the English language, and I am certain few of them even knew why they were there other than it was a job.  Fresh out of school I was hired by this company to supervise 1,000 guards at over 200 different sites simply because I could speak the language.

They serve their purpose.  Airport security people are there to harass passengers to make them feel safe and scare them into line.  They are there for window dressing only- there are much greater security measures in place, but none are visible, assuming they are done right.

So, do you want to take a chance on getting a SAK past people whose only goal in life is to harass you, and probably don't have the language skills to understand your argument let alone the cojones to admit they are wrong as per the statutes that gave them the job?  No thanks, I'll just wait until I get where I am going to file my nails or cut an errant thread off my sweater!

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 03:39:54 PM
I know Def and I check my "heat" in the checked baggage.  It's hard being a father passing on one of those great traditions in this psychotic age.  I got the Explorer model for them, not too big for a small pocket but still having some neat stuff like the magnifying glass.  They love looking at bugs, rocks etc so that is a nice feature.  It's such a nice father-son bonding thing. 

Offline kreskin13

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:08:58 PM

Def

Or it is a doctor but when you bend over, all he sees is the base of a bowling trophy! :ahhh  :ahhh

Calvin
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 04:25:18 PM
I carried a Camper to school every day, and never even thought twice about it.

BTW, the "Tote N' Chip" is still awarded in Boy Scouts today.
- Terry

Offline FredKJ

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 04:37:48 PM
I carried a Camper to school every day, and never even thought twice about it.

BTW, the "Tote N' Chip" is still awarded in Boy Scouts today.

I know I have a friend heavily involved in Scouts.  What bothers me is how it has all affected a father-son or scouting bonding experience.  In those contexts it is given along with instructions on how to use and care for it properly.  There is bonding there. 

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 04:58:21 PM
One of the better professors that I had in college carried a SAK in a belt sheath.  At the beginning of the final class he asked if there were any other question before the exam.  One student asked him what he carried in that pouch on his belt.  He pulled out his SAK (a climber I believe) and told the class what it was and went on to explain that since the age of 4 he had carried a pocketknife.  The class was shocked in a fearful kind of way. :) 

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 05:15:06 PM
One of the better professors that I had in college carried a SAK in a belt sheath.  At the beginning of the final class he asked if there were any other question before the exam.  One student asked him what he carried in that pouch on his belt.  He pulled out his SAK (a climber I believe) and told the class what it was and went on to explain that since the age of 4 he had carried a pocketknife.  The class was shocked in a fearful kind of way. :) 
It's a sad day when a being self reliant and well prepared has people thinking you are some kind of bloody serial killer.The kind of brain dead predator who carries knives for malicious purposes more often than not has some P.O.S cheap folder or just reaches into the kitchen drawer before leaving what ever cave they have spent the night in

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 05:19:35 PM
It's a sad day when a being self reliant and well prepared has people thinking you are some kind of bloody serial killer.The kind of brain dead predator who carries knives for malicious purposes more often than not has some P.O.S cheap folder or just reaches into the kitchen drawer before leaving what ever cave they have spent the night in
How very true >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:37 PM

How very telling the students reactions.  I can think of no better Christmas gift a father can give a son than something like this.  I wonder if I will get in trouble with social services for doing it?  :police:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 05:54:24 PM

Jock, that was an idea that I was under for many years myself:

SOSAK History, Part One

Def

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:38:35 AM
If anyone brought any kind of knife even a cardboard knife or fake sword or ANYTHING that has to do with any kind of violence they would LITEREALY be detained to the police station.
I cant even a while ago it was so cool and now everyone is so crazy about things!

-fresh

Offline kreskin13

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 03:01:32 AM
If anyone brought any kind of knife even a cardboard knife or fake sword or ANYTHING that has to do with any kind of violence they would LITEREALY be detained to the police station.
I cant even a while ago it was so cool and now everyone is so crazy about things!

-fresh

I don't have any kids but the guy I work with says pretty much the same thing you do.

I carried a Buck 110 folder all through high school in the mid 70's. That thing wore a hole in the pockets of all my jeans. :ahhh

M friend and I were detained by one of the principles after we were caught enjoying one of God's given herbs.  ::)  They made us empty our pockets and we both had 110 folders. The principle asked us if they were having a sale on them. After the police left they gave us back the Bucks and we were suspended from school for three days for the weed! That's it. Imagine today. :police:

Calvin
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:37 AM

-fresh

I don't have any kids but the guy I work with says pretty much the same thing you do.

I carried a Buck 110 folder all through high school in the mid 70's. That thing wore a hole in the pockets of all my jeans. :ahhh

M friend and I were detained by one of the principles after we were caught enjoying one of God's given herbs.  ::)  They made us empty our pockets and we both had 110 folders. The principle asked us if they were having a sale on them. After the police left they gave us back the Bucks and we were suspended from school for three days for the weed! That's it. Imagine today. :police:

Calvin

Today you might be doing time in Gitmo as a terrorist threat being waterboarded or something

Offline Biru

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 03:30:47 AM
My 11 year-old niece wanted to get a Schlage pirate figurine for a classmate for a Christmas present. Her mother had to make sure it was okay because the pirate had an upraised SWORD and was in a violent pose!!!!

A couple of years ago, I did a service call to a local school to look at a sound system. Fortunately, no one noticed I was wearing a Bear Jaws until the call was over. Turns out I violated board policy and brought a "weapon" onto school grounds. The assistant principal was cool about it after I pointed out that the tool's screwdrivers and pliers enabled me to fix the system.

Heck, for all the fuss, I could've brought my .45, too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 03:39:34 AM
My wife and I were detained at an airport when going to my brother's wedding.  We had got them a nice kitchen set and my wife spent a while making sure the wrapping was absolutely perfect.  There were no knives in the set, but they refused to allow it because there was a circular pizza cutter in it. 

We ended up having to tear open the package, leave the security area, mail the pizza cutter and then try to board the plane again.  My wife was horrified and tried to "clean up" the look of the gift but it was never quite the same.

Def

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 04:01:03 AM
That does look like a very dangerous weapon! The circumference of that wheel is at least 12"!!!! :D
-------
Alexei

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 04:17:39 AM
You guys should hide your pocket knives and multi tools underneath your turbin, those TSA agents won't look there. :salute:

This whole things is about disarming the public from day one.  If a child can't learn how to handle a pocketknife, he can't learn how to handle a fixed blade.  If you wanted a generation who coulden't hold a pen or write, then outlaw pens.

Take away the toy guns from developing children, and they won't know how to properly shoulder a rifle when the time comes.  I've seen it with guys in their late teens early 20's...they hold a bb gun as if it's covered in wet paint.
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 04:38:17 AM
Def I hope I never come across you in a dark alley with a pizza cutter.  But then remember I am armed with an harmonica.  So you better watch out too.  :D

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 06:03:42 AM
You guys should hide your pocket knives and multi tools underneath your turbin, those TSA agents won't look there. :salute:

This whole things is about disarming the public from day one.  If a child can't learn how to handle a pocketknife, he can't learn how to handle a fixed blade.  If you wanted a generation who coulden't hold a pen or write, then outlaw pens.

Take away the toy guns from developing children, and they won't know how to properly shoulder a rifle when the time comes.  I've seen it with guys in their late teens early 20's...they hold a bb gun as if it's covered in wet paint.

This was very well said i totally agree with ya

-fresh

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 02:16:12 PM

I agree with you to some extent, but you will also have to take away real guns from anyone in the child's family.  Kids learn a great deal by watching.  For example, I learned to drive a manual transmission vehicle by watching my father and brothers do it.  The first time my dad sat me behind the wheel was in a Bronco with a manual transmission and I drove perfectly for three or four hours that day--never killed it once.  That is a process that is at least as complicated as shouldering a rifle.  Learning how to do it "properly" will only come with time and practice.
- Terry

Offline bobbomatic

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 11:31:05 PM
The old traditions haven't gone away completely. My dad was never really a knife person but he did give me my first knife when I was in scouts, and now he's getting me my first shotgun for Christmas :D :drool:!

In regards to schools and knives: I carried a multi-tool in High School as a senior and now in College I carry a SAK in my pocket and a Leatherman in my backpack. People here carry little SAK's on their keychains and I'v even seen some bigger multi-tools on belts, and this is in New York (Long Island to be specific).
w

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 01:03:26 AM
I agree with you to some extent, but you will also have to take away real guns from anyone in the child's family.  Kids learn a great deal by watching. 

I agree, but the kids of today are going to grow up eventually and be the "adults".  It's easier to make it prohibitive to use a gun or own a knife as a kid than it is to do that to adults.  Who's ever behind this is looking decades into the future.  A western world full of pansies and pushovers. 

Oh well, what can we do but :drink: and wait for out next multitool to arrive.
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 01:10:38 AM
Having one in college is not the same as grade school or high school.  My father was not a "knife" person either but he always carried a small two blade pocket knife.  It was just something you had with your keys and watch.  And he had one for me as soon as I was old enough.  It's always been something I just carried.  I never thought of it as packing heat or something.  For as long as I can remember I have always had a pocket knife of somekind on me. 

My boys don't have that sense of experience.  Hope they have it now even if they can't have them at school.  I want them to feel that as long as they carry one safely it will always be something they have on them. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%