Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cheap and cheerful???

kirk13 · 107 · 14264

Offline Death's Head

Re: Cheap and cheerful???
Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:32 PM
Drifting back to the tool for a bit ...

I applaud your passion John, but I suppose I draw the line in a different place as to what is a fake. Is a vaccuum cleaner other than a Hoover a fake? What about a mass produced car other than a Ford? Too diverse - OK - what about ball point pens?

I must echo again that these are not counterfeit. These are not items pretending to be something they are not, or pretending to be made by someone they are not. They are just cheaply produced similies. You relate to the Atwood tools as an art form made by someone who is an artist first and a tool maker second, so lets examine other art forms .... fashion ... yes you have firms making knock off Levis, trying to scam buyers into buying their inferior good by fraudulently assuming the name of a market leader ... then you've got other firms just making cheap jeans with a nondescript totally seperate branding. I would not knowingly buy knock off Levis - I would buy otherwise branded cheap jeans - even if they were styled after one of the bigger name's products.

Hopefully this clarifies the differentiation that a lot of people are putting on this topic. Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and it's not IMHO fraud or theft is this particular scenario. If I thought it was theft, I wouldn't condone it and I'm very sure there ain't many others here that would either.

EDIT: I ought to add I've been in manufacturing all my working life, both from the perspective of a service provider and a OEM so I fully understand the passion behind your views. We just have different interpretations of where imitation/inspiration becomes theft

Actually, fashion makes a very good example because there is a lot in common between fashion and tools.

Namely, it was decided a long time ago in US and International Courts that individual parts of clothing and design could not be patented because the holder of a patent on say... men's shirt collars could control the market to the detriment of the consumer for *years*.  This has not, to my knowledge, proven negative in any way to the consumer or the fashion industry as a whole.

It's the same in tools - individual components cannot be patented.  You can't hold a patent on a box wrench, you can't hold a patent on a hammer.  You might be able to get a patent on a very specific mechanical means of doing the job a box wrench or hammer does, but even that's kind of murky - Spyderco was unable to trademark the round opening hole even though it was a Spyderco design for 20+ years.  Benchmade has a patent on the Axis lock but that didn't stop a ton of companies from taking the basic design, tweaking it very slightly and making their own versions (Spyderco Ball Bearing Lock, Sog Piston lock, Sog Arc Lock, etc.).  Look and feel patents wouldn't work either - Mr. Atwood himself has said that he was inspired by old style alligator wrenches, and they would be considered prior art.
For your information, the Spyderhole has been AA registered trademark since Jan 1995.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:24 PM
For your information, the Spyderhole has been AA registered trademark since Jan 1995.

Yet Spyderco was unable to stop Benchmade from using it in the Ally, Soldat, Vex or Pika series of knives because it was decided that it was an unenforceable trademark.  The Soldat, Ally and Pika are still being produced and sold right now.

Thanks for proving my point.

Offline Death's Head

Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:14 AM
 :sak:

Yet Spyderco was unable to stop Benchmade from using it in the Ally, Soldat, Vex or Pika series of knives because it was decided that it was an unenforceable trademark.  The Soldat, Ally and Pika are still being produced and sold right now.

No problem.  I'm glad you feel I proved a point you had difficulty proving yourself.  Just kidding buddy.   :D
On the same token, the knifemaker Mick Strider has attained the license to use the Spyderhole on his customs which he does, but he refuses to use the Spyderhole on his productions because of trademark infringements, whether it can be enforced or not.  I give Mick Strider respect for his decision on his usage Spyderco's hole.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 12:29:34 AM

Wasn't there an out of court settlement / agreement between Spyderco and Benchmade?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 12:44:45 AM
Wasn't there an out of court settlement / agreement between Spyderco and Benchmade?

They did for a while, but that agreement was annulled because Benchmade wasn't giving credit to Spyderco for for the Hole in literature.  Didn't stop Benchmade from continuing to use it, though.

Offline Death's Head

Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 12:49:24 AM
Has there been any release of any new models from Benchmade using the Spyderhole?   I'm just wondering if an agreement was made for it's use with currently released models and no future releases from Benchmade.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 12:52:48 AM
Edit: Forget it.

Offline shecky

Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 01:22:42 AM
I used to be Peter's top five customer. He would make custom pieces for me and basically make anything I asked of him. He got to the point where he was simply too busy to do that for any of his customers and that was hard for everyone, especially me. I don't cry about it though.  :cry:   Peter has been good to me and is a really great guy, but he cant please everyone. Peter is an artist first and a tool maker second.

This hints at one reason I suspect some folks take umbrage at copied things: defenders against copying often have some kind of skin in the game, even if it's not tangible, like pride. I've seen this with other things, like knife designs and so on. It seems that the more pricey and exclusive ownership is, the more passionate the opinion over copies.

I realize yours is a passionately held position. But it does not strike me as particularly strong, as your case hinges on your personal moral authority, not on any particular damages perpetrated. 

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
Awww, I'm in late on this party. Anyway, there is nothing patentable on an Atwood tool, literally nothing. :P

And as an artist, he should be able to sell his art despite similar products anyway. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:58 AM
The Navy tools all have their own branding applied quite clearly to them.  There is no attempt to pass them off as Atwood tools.  You give an "ordinary observer" an Atwood and the Navy tool and it would be easy for them to tell the difference.

Well I had a strong suspicion this was wrong but figured since I had access to an expert I'd wait until I spoke with him. According to my friend you would just claim the shape of the object and not any surface treatment such as branding. So even though one tool said Navy and the other Atwood the only issue for determining design patent infringement would be whether the "ordinary observer" found the shape of the Navy tool to be substantially similar to the Atwood tool, and I think it's safe to say that Navy would lose this battle in court. Since there is no design patent on this tool this is all academic but it do think it worth noting that if an artist or designer is concerned with theft of their intellectual property they could obtain a design patent on their work for about $1000, less if they did it themselves. Utility patents on the other hand are very expensive and really need to be very carefully written by a smart and experienced patent attorney in order for the patent holder to be given good protection.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:02 AM
The Navy tools all have their own branding applied quite clearly to them.  There is no attempt to pass them off as Atwood tools.  You give an "ordinary observer" an Atwood and the Navy tool and it would be easy for them to tell the difference.

Well I had a strong suspicion this was wrong but figured since I had access to an expert I'd wait until I spoke with him. According to my friend you would just claim the shape of the object and not any surface treatment such as branding. So even though one tool said Navy and the other Atwood the only issue for determining design patent infringement would be whether the "ordinary observer" found the shape of the Navy tool to be substantially similar to the Atwood tool, and I think it's safe to say that Navy would lose this battle in court. Since there is no design patent on this tool this is all academic but it do think it worth noting that if an artist or designer is concerned with theft of their intellectual property they could obtain a design patent on their work for about $1000, less if they did it themselves. Utility patents on the other hand are very expensive and really need to be very carefully written by a smart and experienced patent attorney in order for the patent holder to be given good protection.

You realize that the cases you posted earlier in this thread blatantly contradict the advice you just received from this attorney, yes?

The relevant quote would be:

"In so doing, the district court distinguished “the ornamental aspects from the functional aspects of Richardson’s design and then determined that an ordinary observer, after discounting the functional elements of Richardson’s design, would not be deceived into thinking that any of the Fubar tools were the same as Richardson’s Stepclaw.”

One is advice gotten over lunch from an attorney without knowing full facts of the case at hand, the other is on the books as a legal decision.

But, again, as you said this is all academic until Peter Atwood takes the necessary steps to attain design patents.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:14:39 AM by jekostas »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 10:13:13 AM

You realize that the cases you posted earlier in this thread blatantly contradict the advice you just received from this attorney, yes?

Please explain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:39 AM
Did you actually look at the Fubar vs. the Stepclaw, there are some very obvious design differences.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #73 on: September 08, 2011, 01:02:54 PM
Navy, being a Chinese company would likely not pay much attention to a cease and desist order from a US attorney or court, which is why the so called "protection" of a patent wouldn't be terribly effective.  The last time I checked, the US legal system doesn't have any control over what goes on in China, despite what Hollywood would have us believe.

In a case like Atwood Vs Navy, chances are Peter would spend the money to obtain some kind of "protection" then spend more money to "enforce" it, and Navy would just giggle and keep on keeping on.  The "protection" of a registered patent would really only end up costing (hurting) Peter who is already the victim in said claim, although his attorney would probably be quite happy to encourage him to take action.

As an investigator by trade I spent an awful lot of time and someone else's money trying to find ways of making things like this work, and they simply don't.  Unless you have a lot of money backing you, you can't chase someone internationally, and that's even in a country that has agreements in place for things like patent law.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 01:12:09 PM
Never mind Atwood vs Navy, I wanna see Navy vs Nate's Tractor  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:45 PM
That's not very far off I think.  We have purchased one and it's on it's way to Nate's for a head to head with the real thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:49 PM
Dumb question:

Am I the only one here that would consider buying an Atwood because of the maker/name, with the tool itself being a very distant secondary consideration?
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: September 08, 2011, 03:44:23 PM
Nope- I'd buy an Atwood based on name alone. Tragically when I see them available they are a little rich for my blood.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #78 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:41 PM

I have a few "tests" in mind...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 05:55:44 PM

I have a few "tests" in mind...

(Image removed from quote.)

Splendid  :D :D I really hope the little feller does well
I'd expect to see it manage maybe 60-70% of what the Atwoood can do  :think:
I'd hate to see it bend or fracture on the "cleaning under the fingernail" test  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #80 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:32 AM
Am I the only one here that would consider buying an Atwood because of the maker/name, with the tool itself being a very distant secondary consideration?

That is because you are buying a piece of art. Art is something you put on the wall and smile at becuase wow, you have it, and owning that art makes you feel good.

A tool is, well, a tool. You use it to do things with. It gets dirty. It gets hot and cold and wet and muddy and scratched up and you don't freak out, you just break out the oil and maybe the steel wool.

Don't own an Atwood. Once he made tools. Now he makes art. Wish he made tools again and on a somewhat predictable pattern rather than his erratic dribs and drabs, then maybe I'd own a few Atwoods.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #81 on: September 09, 2011, 05:04:39 AM

That is because you are buying a piece of art. Art is something you put on the wall and smile at becuase wow, you have it, and owning that art makes you feel good.

A tool is, well, a tool. You use it to do things with. It gets dirty. It gets hot and cold and wet and muddy and scratched up and you don't freak out, you just break out the oil and maybe the steel wool.

Don't own an Atwood. Once he made tools. Now he makes art. Wish he made tools again and on a somewhat predictable pattern rather than his erratic dribs and drabs, then maybe I'd own a few Atwoods.

I use every single Atwood tool that I own. It may be art, but it works pretty good as a tool.   :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #82 on: September 09, 2011, 07:23:26 AM

I use every single Atwood tool that I own. It may be art, but it works pretty good as a tool.    :tu:

I agree John. All but one of my Atwoods have been used. I havent used the Rainbow Perfbaby yet.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #83 on: September 09, 2011, 08:35:27 AM

I use every single Atwood tool that I own. It may be art, but it works pretty good as a tool.    :tu:

I agree John. All but one of my Atwoods have been used. I havent used the Rainbow Perfbaby yet.

Wow, somebody actually agrees with me in this thread!  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline David

Reply #84 on: September 09, 2011, 09:17:39 AM

Wow, somebody actually agrees with me in this thread!  :D

In more ways than one John.   :D 
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #85 on: September 09, 2011, 05:24:25 PM
Dumb question:

Oh there are tons of other people just like you, how else could apple sell so many iphone/pads?  :D

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:04 AM
Hmmmm...

The ebay auction listing this item abruptly ended this afternoon. Someone complained perhaps....

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:20 AM
Hmmmm...

The ebay auction listing this item abruptly ended this afternoon. Someone complained perhaps....

Or, you know, the auction just ended.  This seller only lists stuff for 1 or 2 week auctions, not for a month.  The auction ended at exactly 7:45:00PM PDT.  It would be incredibly unlikely for a pulled auction to end on an exact minute mark, but incredibly likely if it was a scheduled start and end.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:40:01 AM by jekostas »

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
Hmmmm...

Or, you know, the auction just ended.  This seller only lists stuff for 1 or 2 week auctions, not for a month.  The auction ended at exactly 7:45:00PM PDT.  It would be incredibly unlikely for a pulled auction to end on an exact minute mark, but incredibly likely if it was a scheduled start and end.
OK, I didn't check the time. I thought there was like a week and a half left on the auction. There were over 20 pieces still available.

You're probably right though. Perhaps it will be relisted then.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #89 on: September 24, 2011, 06:38:05 AM
Sooo....

Nate, how did the tool hold up? 

John, I hope you are still with us.

Despite the arguments presented here, from an observers point of view this forum does not condone stealing and never has IIRC.  We discuss LM knockoffs and SAK knockoffs, there is no difference in discussing Atwood knockoffs.  I personally wouldn't ever buy a knockoff instead of the real thing, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in how good a facsimile is if only for the curiosity factor.

I agree strongly with the Freedom of Speech that is allowed here, something we all use on a daily basis.  We are a forum of MT intellectuals, not retailers. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%