Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Lifeboat

Dunc · 18 · 2120

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
New Lifeboat
on: December 16, 2007, 07:41:20 PM
We have finally got our new boat  :D  The boat yard who fitted it out tested it on the Norfolk Broads ( a series of lakes connected by rivers ) last week and was handed over to us on Thursday .Its being kept at our coxswains workshop at the moment and will start its sea trials after Christmas . I went to see it today and got some pics .
   Really excited about it  :D  Shes a little bigger and faster then our present one with alot more up to date equipment .

Cant wait to get here out on the sea

Dunc

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Re: New Lifeboat
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:08 PM
Looks pretty sweet Dunc!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:47:55 PM
That "saddle" type seating arrangement is interesting! Does your old boat have that?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:57:18 PM
Very nice! Hope you don't have to use it too often though.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:01:19 PM
That "saddle" type seating arrangement is interesting! Does your old boat have that?

Similar . On the old boat you sit lower and the seats are wider . By sitting higher you are able to take some of the "shock" in your legs rather then it all going up your spine .Heres a couple of pics of the old current boat

* Image.(180).jpg (Filesize: 30.28 KB)

* Image.(181).jpg (Filesize: 29.08 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:01:53 PM
First up I hope you had a ''polite'' word with whoever got muddy foot prints on you nice new shiney boat ::) :D

She looks like a good'un mate, with plenty of storage space for ilicit baccy runs :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:03:56 PM
Nice looking boat, I bet that cost a few pennies. Does the government help out with spending or is it like the Air Ambulance where they don't receive a penny.
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:06:35 PM
Nice looking boat, I bet that cost a few pennies. Does the government help out with spending or is it like the Air Ambulance where they don't receive a penny.

Not a penny  >:(  Its all raised through public donations and fundraising .

Dunc

Offline cryptrick

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 08:09:02 PM

Not a penny  >:(  Its all raised through public donations and fundraising .

Dunc

I wish Gordon would pull his finger out and give you guys a bit of money, he spends enough on other less important stuff  >:D
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 08:14:13 PM
sweeeet! it's like a combination, roller coaster/raft/hover craft! all you need is a big fan in back, and kids screaming :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:37 PM
The RNLI ( we are independent and nothing to do with them ) also recieve no money from the Gov. But unlike us they have alot of money , so much infact that the charity commision wrapped their nuckles and told them to spend some of it ( as a charity you can only hold so much money in the bank ) . Thats why their gear is superb .Take a look at this boat . Its the latest ALB ( All Weather Boat ) and its called a Tamar and it costs .... are you ready for this ....£2.5million  . It is one hell of a boat and last sunday I went along side one about a mile off our coast . It was Cromers and they had just taken delivery of it and boy were they pleased with it  :D Mind you cant blame them

Dunc

Offline cryptrick

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:33:00 PM
£2.5 million!!!  :o :o   Talk about a lot of money for something that floats. Must be all that Garmin equipment they have :D. To be honest I like the look of your boat better. Looks a lot faster than theirs. If you had a race which one would win? (I know thats not the reason you have them but hey!)
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:48:29 PM
£2.5 million!!!  :o :o   Talk about a lot of money for something that floats. Must be all that Garmin equipment they have :D. To be honest I like the look of your boat better. Looks a lot faster than theirs. If you had a race which one would win? (I know thats not the reason you have them but hey!)

Ours would win  :D  but of course were not interested in whos is faster  ;) >:D
Our current boat does just over 30knots .Both kinds of boats have there advantage . We can launch quicker , are faster and can work in shallow water close to the beach . While the other boats have a lot further range and can go out in very rough weather .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 08:54:33 PM
With our new boat we are hoping to increase our operational range . At the moment we are tasked up to five miles out but this may increase to between 10- 15 miles . Mainly due to the increase of Divers going out of our beach . In the summer we can have about 15 dive boats a day go out diving on any of the 300+ wrecks in about a 30 mile radious . We will also carry 02 on the new boat .

Dunc

Offline cryptrick

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 08:56:16 PM
Ours would win  Grin  but of course were not interested in whos is faster

I am though, so yours is the better boat ;)  I would agree that theres would be better in rough seas, as I would jump in the cabin and hide.... can't really do that on yours ;)  That Navman kit looks cool on yours, thats GPS I take it. No need to load the speed cameras on those though :D
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 09:01:14 PM
Ours would win  Grin  but of course were not interested in whos is faster

I am though, so yours is the better boat ;)  I would agree that theres would be better in rough seas, as I would jump in the cabin and hide.... can't really do that on yours ;)  That Navman kit looks cool on yours, thats GPS I take it. No need to load the speed cameras on those though :D

The Navman is a GPS chartplotter . It has a card that slots in with the chart ( map ) on it . Obviously the card in ours is for our local area . Looking at the colour screen its just the same as a paper chart with the added bonus of zoom and all the usual lat/long waypionts and go to's . We spent weeks lookingh at different models .

Dunc

Offline cryptrick

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 09:12:23 PM
It does look an impressive piece of kit. I thought Garmin did most of the boating equipment and GPS, never actually knew Navman did boating stuff.
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:41 PM
It does look an impressive piece of kit. I thought Garmin did most of the boating equipment and GPS, never actually knew Navman did boating stuff.

Our old unit is a Garmin although a very basic one it does the job ok . Ive never used a Navman before so it will be interesting to see how it performs .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD