Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blast owners club

Mercury · 308 · 26874

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Blast owners club
on: September 10, 2011, 07:27:35 PM
I don't know if we have anything like this, so here we go.  The blast is my all time favorite.  I buy and sell a lot of tools, trying each for EDC purposes, but the Blast is the best fit overall.   The size is perfect and the zytel inserts are comfortable.  I really dislike Leatherman's outboard opening tools, because I have no faith that they will stay closed.  With the blast you get the classic design and security along with pure comfort and ease of use.  The only thing I would change is the mini bit driver.  Don't get me wrong,  I love the mini bit driver, I use it for Eyeglasses maintenance, but I have a Squirt on my keys that has the tool I need for that and I could really use an awl more often.  But, all MT's are a compromise and this one fits me like a glove.  Speak up Blast lovers!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Re: Blast owners club
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:53:36 PM
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Blast owners club
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:22 PM
Im close to getting one for the collection.... Looks like a great valur

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:06 PM
I love my Blast and have to say it is one of my favorite tools. It is basically a Wave in a different configuration. A+ in my book.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:13:43 PM
I will get pics of my Blasts later tonight or tomorrow.  I only have two, but more may be added at a later date, after a certain BO treat is acquired from a friend.

us Offline rioredgt

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:20 PM
Here's mine.

Robert

Non Leatherman sheath. Fits like a glove.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17:12 PM
Here's mine.

Robert

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice  :tu:. The sheath fits perfect as well.  :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

Offline joebw

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:28:29 AM
Hi Gang,

I've got 12 Leatherman Blasts and use one for my EDC a good portion of the time.  I think this puts me in the club.  By the way, these are included in the over 270 L'man pliers/scissor tools in my collection.

Cheers - Joe

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:56:59 AM
Here's mine.

Robert

OOOO.. who makes that sheath.

I am not one for sheaths mostly because they are BULKY but that one is svelte!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline rioredgt

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:25:17 AM
It's made by Raine.

Robert

http://raineinc.com/catalog/index.php

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:19 AM
I think it goes without saying that we need a family pic Joe.   :pok:

@ rioredgt

Nice sheath BTW!

us Offline rioredgt

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:47:56 AM
FYI. Raine also makes a horizontal version.

Robert

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:23:15 AM

Robert

How can I get one?  Their site doesn't have a shopping cart.

us Offline rioredgt

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:31:35 AM

Robert

How can I get one?  Their site doesn't have a shopping cart.

I'm not sure. I've had mine for several years now. I think I got mine at a gun show.

Robert

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:47:22 AM
Hi Gang,

I've got 12 Leatherman Blasts and use one for my EDC a good portion of the time.  I think this puts me in the club.  By the way, these are included in the over 270 L'man pliers/scissor tools in my collection.

Cheers - Joe
270..  :ahhh :ahhh
You gotta share some pics Joe..  :tu: :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 11:08:00 PM
Thread necro!!  Still haven't seen pics Joe!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:06 AM
I have a Blast, but I can't get any pics right now as I keep it in one of our vehicles.  It was actually my first multitool, and I remember the excitement when I got it in the mail.  From that point on I was hooked and over the course of the next few months purchased a few more Leathermans.  For the box body, tools on the inside design, I actually prefer the Rebar, but the Blast is right up there.  I will have to try to retrieve it from the vehicle for some pics at some point.  Definitely a great MT and the one that started it all for me :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 04:47:31 AM
I can't say it was my first.  Technically my first was a Gerber pinchyourpalm special, then a PST that got stolen, then my trusty old sideclip.  I stopped carrying the sideclip for years and in 2008 I decided I wanted a Blast and bought one from Walmart after much deliberation over the choice between Blast, Wave, and Core.  I fell in love with it immediately.  I carried that blast for two years and then broke the medium screwdriver blade repairing an old wooden driver for a friend.  I was heartbroken.  Checking into LM's website spawned my journey into MT's and my joining this site.  I have always had a Blast since then and it has always been my stalwart companion even after carrying so many other models.  I now have my latest blast in my EDC bag, because out of all my tools I know that no matter what I am comfortable carrying the Blast in any situation.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 07:26:33 PM
I drove the vehicle in which the Blast resides to work today, so I took the Blast out and have it sitting here at my desk at work so that I'll have it with me when I get home tonight.  Then I should be able to take some pics of my old buddy :)  I haven't carried it in forever, but I've been playing with it off and on today and am remembering how I felt when I first opened it and got my hands on it.  Holding it again has also reminded me of one of the reasons I prefer the Rebar, and that's the slimmer body.  The Blast is rather thick for the tools you get, but I know that is due to the Zytel inserts.  Due to its thicker body though, it makes for a decent light duty hammer :)

It's funny because, thinking back, I hadn't discovered Leatherman's website until after I got the Blast.  I just relied on Amazon searches for various Leathermans.  The first time I went to the site, the Rebar was advertised on the main menu, but it wasn't out yet.  Had I been a little more patient and thought to look on Leatherman's site, I may have ended up waiting and getting the Rebar.  However, I know me and my lack of patience when it comes to getting a new toy, and I doubt I would have waited long, especially considering the Rebar wasn't really available until about 3 months after I got the Blast. 

Oh well, I don't regret the Blast.  It actually has all you probably would really need since it has scissors, and the Rebar does not.  Neither have the diamond file, which is too bad.  It even has the fine screwdrivers, which would seem out of place in the Rebar.  The Rebar is more of a trades type user with the awl and serrated blade in place of the scissors and fine screwdriver bit, but I think the Blast was an attempt at a well rounded, "basics covered" type of MT.  Sort of a cross between the trades and urban types :think: 

Sorry for the long post, I got a little long winded there :whistle:  I will try to post some pics tonight.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:35:55 AM
Nice post!  Good insight on the blast. 

I love the blast personally, I carried mine today.  I haven't carried a Blast in a while and it was nice to get all the weight of my ST off my belt. 

I have always thought the Blast was a perfect EDC tool that had enough "just in case" features to take care of the unexpected.  I was pretty disappointed with the Rebar though.  While I do like it and will definitely get another one, the thin blade stock worries me, along with the weird shaped file and tiny regular plier gripping area.  I'm not so worried about scissors, as I usually have a SAK on me anyway, but I do agree that the mini bit driver is really nice to have on the Blast.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 03:09:21 AM
Nice post!  Good insight on the blast. 

I love the blast personally, I carried mine today.  I haven't carried a Blast in a while and it was nice to get all the weight of my ST off my belt. 

I have always thought the Blast was a perfect EDC tool that had enough "just in case" features to take care of the unexpected.  I was pretty disappointed with the Rebar though.  While I do like it and will definitely get another one, the thin blade stock worries me, along with the weird shaped file and tiny regular plier gripping area.  I'm not so worried about scissors, as I usually have a SAK on me anyway, but I do agree that the mini bit driver is really nice to have on the Blast.

I agree there, the Blast is a good all-arounder as I said before.  I also agree about the thinner blades on the Rebar.  I remember noticing that myself when I first got it.  The Blast's blade is beefy, and I had forgotten just how beefy it is until I checked it out again today.  Good point about the pliers, but for me, I don't really use them that way.  I use the pliers for finer type work normally, plus I like the replaceable wire cutters, which are quite handy.  Same here with the scissors as I too carry a SAK to cover those.  Still, the Blast and Rebar are both awesome imo, but I like the Rebar a little better.  To each his own though ;)  Pics shortly I hope, once the baby is down for the count :P
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 03:43:05 AM
Here are my pics.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1369186692313.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1369186692313.jpg (Filesize: 76.4 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1369186742341.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1369186742341.jpg (Filesize: 55.83 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1369186772863.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1369186772863.jpg (Filesize: 75.92 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1369186971742.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1369186971742.jpg (Filesize: 77.09 KB)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:23 AM
Nice pics!!  I see you have the newer version with the beefier locks. 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:37 AM
Oh I do?  I didn't know there were different locks.  Mine is dated 1011.  I've been having fun playing with it the last couple hours.  Thanks to our discussion, I'm actually considering giving it a slot in my weekly rotation.  That would give me 6 weeks worth of rotation.  I normally keep the Blast in one vehicle and the Wave in the other, but I'm thinking if I want to give the Blast a slot in the rotation, I will put my Charge AL into a vehicle.  I'm telling you, it never ends with me, but at least I'm developing a system to my EDC per week.  Of course, this system only covers what I carry for a MT in my back pocket, not what items I carry in my front pocket.  That only varies among a few select items at this point though.  But I digress ::)  Thanks for bringing the Blast back into my EDC life :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 06:01:45 AM
Oh I do?  I didn't know there were different locks.  Mine is dated 1011.  I've been having fun playing with it the last couple hours.  Thanks to our discussion, I'm actually considering giving it a slot in my weekly rotation.  That would give me 6 weeks worth of rotation.  I normally keep the Blast in one vehicle and the Wave in the other, but I'm thinking if I want to give the Blast a slot in the rotation, I will put my Charge AL into a vehicle.  I'm telling you, it never ends with me, but at least I'm developing a system to my EDC per week.  Of course, this system only covers what I carry for a MT in my back pocket, not what items I carry in my front pocket.  That only varies among a few select items at this point though.  But I digress ::)  Thanks for bringing the Blast back into my EDC life :tu:

No prob!!

Yea, your locks are the newer ones.  You can tell most easily by the handle cutouts that mirror those found on the ST300.  Another way to tell is that the posts that hold the lock levers into the handles are much larger than older models.  The lever thumb pad is not quite as wide as the handle on older models, whereas the newer ones run the full width of the handle.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:53 AM
I got one of each. :D Old style and new style.
Didn´t like the zytel parts at first but have no problem with now.
blast1.jpg
* blast1.jpg (Filesize: 54.29 KB)
blast2.jpg
* blast2.jpg (Filesize: 43.13 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:33 PM
I think I like the old style locks better actually.  They're less intrusive on the handle aesthetics/ruler.  I'm assuming there must have been a functionality issue if they were changed to the wider style we have now?
K-Tibbs

us Offline willc

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:54 PM

This Blast was the first LM I ever bought new.
In 2004 a coworker sold me his Kick and I was so impressed with it I went out to Home Depot to get another and I ended up with this Blast.

I am a carpenter so this usually is not my first line tool but I always like to carry a MT and the Blast has helped me out numerous times.
Just recently I was in a very tight space at the Philly auto show that took me about 5 minutes to crawl into and I found out I had to cut some  1/4" shims and I only had my Blast on me cause it was too tight for my tool belt.
So after a few saw cuts and scoring with the blade I had the plywood cut and all was well.

Over the years I have also used a Wave, Kick and just got a Rebar but I am sure I will always have a place for the Blast in my toolset.

Sent from my fancy work phone.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:00 AM
i love my blast. ill have to post pics here at some point. I got a ss blast as a gift for my dad a few years back and he liked it so much that he got me a blast (knowing that i have a lot of leatherman's and knowing i didn't have a blast) in camo and with my name engraved on the blade.

I've used it a few times but i don't want to damage it because it's really important to me and holds a lot of sentimental value. i think its going to be the only one i have that's not a user.

ill have to get another one to use lol  :gimme:
-----5hif7y-----

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:43 AM
I have a couple of Blasts. Only one I have a pic of is my modded Blaster (ReBlast? BlastBar? never could settle on a name). The other one I have is engraved with my name and wedding date. I gave all of my groomsmen an engraved Blast as gifts.
100_2442.JPG
* 100_2442.JPG (Filesize: 151.66 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24