Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Metal Detector

665ae · 18 · 3874

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Metal Detector
on: December 18, 2007, 07:31:40 PM
A while back we had a short discussion regarding metal detectors... I decided today that a metal detector would be a great "Christmas Gift" for myself :D

I ordered a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to play around with.  I realize this thing is entry level, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Bounty Hunter detectors?  The reviews of it that I've read say that it's very good for beginners.

My other question is, do these things work in the snow?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline yellowhammer

Re: Metal Detector
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:36:46 PM
A friend of mine is very experienced with metal detectors, and he says that Bounty Hunter stuff is basic, but reliable & good for noobs. It may not have the discrimination abilities of higher-end models so there's a chance you could miss faint signals and/or get interference from ferrous. To be honest, you'll spend most of the time digging up ring pulls/shotgun cartridges/unidentifiable crap as you get used to it anyway so I wouldn't worry. Ask me how I know this... :D

It should work in snow, you could always get a waterproof coil if you're worried about it. The only thing you might want to watch is, in snow, you may not find it easy to keep the coil close enough to the ground if you can't see it properly. Oh, and it'll eat batteries in the cold. Hope this helps :)
C

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:20 PM
What size are the batteries?  Are Lithiums an option?
- Terry

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:59:54 PM

The manual says 9-volt alkaline only :-\
C

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:09:02 PM

The manual says 9-volt alkaline only :-\

hmmm....  There are 9-volt Lithiums that would work great in cold weather.  It shouldn't be a problem to use them, but it's always a good policy to contact the manufacturer first (or distributor, in case they're made in China).

Hey 665, let us know how it goes with the detector.  This is a hobby that I've considered entering a few times...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:11:12 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:13 AM
Do it, it's great :) I'm not really a detectorist (don't need one for fossils & stone tools :D) but several of my mates are, and the feeling of digging up, I dunno, a hammered Elizabethan coin when you know you're the first person to see it in 500 years is fantastic. If you get into detecting beaches you can also make a bit of cash just from finding coins, jewellery & watches too :D

Of course, it's easier over here as our country is more than 200 years old... :pok: :D
C

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 03:17:51 AM
Of course, it's easier over here as our country is more than 200 years old... :pok: :D

LOL.  True, but there was metal here long before we got here.
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:54 AM

LOL.  True, but there was metal here long before we got here.

Metal as in the mineral?  I don't think the natives used it until Europeans arrived.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:50:46 AM
Some North American tribes had developed rudimentary metal working, mostly along the west coast if I remember correctly.  Metals were more common in South America which explains why the Spanish were so interested in overrunning the continent. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:37:58 AM
Some North American tribes had developed rudimentary metal working, mostly along the west coast if I remember correctly.

...and you'd still be lucky as hell if you found any results of that.
- Terry

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 12:07:43 PM
It'd be nice though, a little hoard of Aztec/Mexica gold jewellery would go towards paying the Christmas bills off :D
C

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 10:37:30 PM
A while back we had a short discussion regarding metal detectors... I decided today that a metal detector would be a great "Christmas Gift" for myself :D

I ordered a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to play around with.  I realize this thing is entry level, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Bounty Hunter detectors?  The reviews of it that I've read say that it's very good for beginners.

My other question is, do these things work in the snow?

I'm sure it will give you a good working idea of how they work and you should find some nice stuff. Most heads usually are waterproof, at least they were when I was doing it. only the control unit is not, you could even stick the head and most of the pole in water. your manual should say.

you get better signals in snow and wet ground because of reflectivity (it's what they told me) but it's cold and muddy and not the most fun (unless your a siberian hog). if you truly like it and want a better detector, I'd go with a White. I wish I had...

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:32:32 AM
I received it today and put it together :)  I didn't have any 9 volt batteries so I couldn't play with it.  I'm going to give it a go in the snow in the next couple of days. (the manual says the coil is waterproof)

It looks like a decent unit, but since I've never had one before I don't really have a clue :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 07:53:53 AM
in time you will learn it's "sound" and intensity. practice in your yard, friends yard, anyplace people used to "congregate" in the past, chances are good you'll find lots of stuff. you'll learn to dig "proper" holes, and replace the grass caps or tops like a "plug" so no one will complain (holes all over the place). it is a fun, relaxing hobby. enjoy and good treasure hunting!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 07:58:08 AM
oh and in parks, public places, I always went with friends (other detectors) because people are fascinated seeing you with your detector, sometimes to much so!
beaches/sand is an easy place to learn, you just need some kind of sand shifter. lotsa newer coins
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:01:11 AM by WhichDawg »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 08:24:04 PM
While most places would be fair game - stay out of Sand pits for children.

It makes you look like a git, really.

"Bwahaha, zose leetle four year olds! Zey lose zeir pocket toys, Oh yes! I will find zem! zey will be mine!"

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 03:30:54 AM
back in chicago, every once in awhile they'd drain some small lakes in the area, to make better drainage, lay pipes and other things and those are prime places you want to detect in! I have a friend who got me into metal detecting, did several lakes that way, he found tons of coins, tons of rings (with diamonds and gems) and lots of cool stuff.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:17 PM
While most places would be fair game - stay out of Sand pits for children.

It makes you look like a git, really.

Actually, sand pits are a great place to use a metal detector due to easy, non destructive digging and the amount of coins and other items you'll find.

I don't detect in a sand pit at the same time children are playing in it.

If you are hypersensitive to others' opinions, you shouldn't be metal detecting, carrying a pocket knife, or doing much else.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:27:01 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%