Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Senseless

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Re: Senseless
Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 08:22:00 PM
 :D :D :D Glad to be of help

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 08:27:50 PM
I have a kit that I keep in the car....   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 09:09:21 PM
This is kind of off topic but
Def, i noticed your avatar picture... Do you own Danes?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 12:57:24 AM
No, although I do love Danes too.  That's the head of a dogo argentino or Argentine Mastiff.  I had one for eight and a half years and he was the best dog I'd ever seen.

Smart, tough, loyal... Pete and I worked security together in many nasty places and we always came out of it breathing- sometimes not much better than that, but I'd hate to think about what would have happened had we not been there for each other!

Def

* Pete.JPG (Filesize: 48.98 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 12:08:53 PM
No, although I do love Danes too.  That's the head of a dogo argentino or Argentine Mastiff.  I had one for eight and a half years and he was the best dog I'd ever seen.

Smart, tough, loyal... Pete and I worked security together in many nasty places and we always came out of it breathing- sometimes not much better than that, but I'd hate to think about what would have happened had we not been there for each other!

Def
Did any low flying planes ever get stuck in his mouth?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 02:52:41 PM
If they did, there was never any trace of them afterwards!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 02:46:06 PM
Like I said before, that really is an impressive maw on that doggy, were they hunting dogs originally??
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 03:08:16 PM
They were bred for hunting wild boar and mountain lions- basically the meanest animals on the planet.  As I understand it, the traditional method of hunting is to send dogs out that catch and hold these dangerous creatures until the hunter arrives and slits the prey animal's throat with a knife.

Now, do the math: 80-100 pound dog vs 400-500 pounds of very upset bacon.  Factor in the prolonged exposure since the hunter is likely somewhat behind the dog, not being able to run as fast, and you either have an immeasurably tough dog or you go home minus one dog.

The interesting thing is that while the dogs (from what I saw with Pete) have an amazing prey drive (one of Pete's favorite toys was a laser pointer- he'd chase it for hours!) they have little or no killer instinct.  Pete chased cats, birds, balls, frisbees etc but never harmed any of them.  Ok, he ate a frisbee or two, but he never intentionally hurt anything that was alive.  He just loved to chase things.

There are some videos on YouTube of these dogs hunting, but I'd suggest you only check them out if you aren't squeamish.  They are pretty graphic at times.

Def

Reply #38 on: December 24, 2007, 03:11:46 PM
They were bred for hunting wild boar and mountain lions- basically the meanest animals on the planet.  As I understand it, the traditional method of hunting is to send dogs out that catch and hold these dangerous creatures until the hunter arrives and slits the prey animal's throat with a knife.

Now, do the math: 80-100 pound dog vs 400-500 pounds of very upset bacon.  Factor in the prolonged exposure since the hunter is likely somewhat behind the dog, not being able to run as fast, and you either have an immeasurably tough dog or you go home minus one dog.

The interesting thing is that while the dogs (from what I saw with Pete) have an amazing prey drive (one of Pete's favorite toys was a laser pointer- he'd chase it for hours!) they have little or no killer instinct.  Pete chased cats, birds, balls, frisbees etc but never harmed any of them.  Ok, he ate a frisbee or two, but he never intentionally hurt anything that was alive.  He just loved to chase things.

There are some videos on YouTube of these dogs hunting, but I'd suggest you only check them out if you aren't squeamish.  They are pretty graphic at times.

Def
Just as well I'm not squimish then :D, I thought they had the look of hunting dogs about them, in terms of size the looks similar to Irish Wolf Hounds, but I think petes breed have a lot more power by the look of them :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 24, 2007, 03:23:41 PM
They are somewhat smaller than wolfhounds.  He was smaller than my husky, but with more raw power than a Detroit diesel.  When camping once I tied him and Chinook to the bumper of my old GMC Tracker while I set up camp.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the truck moving and when I turned, concerned about the wellbeing of the dogs tied to it, I noticed they were pulling it.  They almost walked away with my truck!  :D

Having been on the opposite end of those leashes many times myself (twice a day for 8 years) I can say that the majority of the pulling power was coming from Pete!

Def

Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 06:11:47 PM
They are somewhat smaller than wolfhounds.  He was smaller than my husky, but with more raw power than a Detroit diesel.  When camping once I tied him and Chinook to the bumper of my old GMC Tracker while I set up camp.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the truck moving and when I turned, concerned about the wellbeing of the dogs tied to it, I noticed they were pulling it.  They almost walked away with my truck!  :D

Having been on the opposite end of those leashes many times myself (twice a day for 8 years) I can say that the majority of the pulling power was coming from Pete!

Def
They do look all muscle :o, what was there stamina like ??? did they need to eat and drink a lot, or about the same as your average alsatian ???

Mind you my old terveran was like that, she only weighed about 5 stone, but the power she had was increadable :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:54 PM
Here's an interesting story regarding how much Pete would eat.

I have a dog food dish with a large barrel on the back for food storage.  The barrel holds 20 pounds of food, and gravity keeps the bowl full.  With two dogs, I had to fill the barrel once a week, and now, with Pete gone, I fill it about every 5-6 weeks.

He was also never even remotely overweight.  You could just make out the outline of his ribs and his stomach was always slim enough to wrap your hands around and touch your fingers.  I don't know where all that food went, but he was a very solid dog.  He was smaller than Chinook, but weighed a good 10 pounds more than Chinook.

As for stamina, well he never slowed down for anything- when he was younger I tried to tire him out before I would go to work (the odd times I worked without him) but playing frisbee in the park.  He would run in the hot sun for over an hour before even looking for a drink.  When he finally would stop running, I'd load him into the car and in the 5 minutes it took us to get home, he'd be rested enough to go again!  In an attempt to tire him out even more, we dropped the frisbee and started playing fetch with a wooden dumbell.  All that accomplished was for him to come running back with a bloody face because he's pounce on it!

Def

Reply #42 on: December 24, 2007, 06:29:42 PM
I know dogs have a much higher metabolism than us humans, but that is still bloody impressive :), would you get that breed again or try a different one ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 24, 2007, 06:34:11 PM
That is perhaps the finest breed I have ever encountered and I would happily get another one.  They are pretty rare in Canada though, but luckily I have a few friends in Argentina now.  I don't know what is involved in importing a puppy, but it's a step in the right direction!

Of course, if I ever manage to realize my dream of opening a kennel for the rehabilitation of "problem" dogs then I'll probably end up with a number of breeds that weren't of my choosing.  I don't have a problem with that either.  I guess it will all depend on opportunity.

Def

Reply #44 on: December 24, 2007, 06:39:08 PM
That is perhaps the finest breed I have ever encountered and I would happily get another one.  They are pretty rare in Canada though, but luckily I have a few friends in Argentina now.  I don't know what is involved in importing a puppy, but it's a step in the right direction!

Of course, if I ever manage to realize my dream of opening a kennel for the rehabilitation of "problem" dogs then I'll probably end up with a number of breeds that weren't of my choosing.  I don't have a problem with that either.  I guess it will all depend on opportunity.

Def
Well for my part I'd recommend a tervuren, the only downside to the breed is they can be highly strung and have mental issues (I had to have mine put down as it had canine schizophrenia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_%28Tervuren%29

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: December 24, 2007, 06:51:40 PM
The guy I started working canine with had a Belgian Malinois, which I think is the same breed, isn't it?  Very closely related if not the same dog.

Duke was a great dog too, but had a very wild streak in him.  He was a great match for Pete- he was much bigger than Pete, but Pete was much more powerful and faster.  Duke also had a tendency to ignore his people when called, but Pete would always come back no matter what.  It was great to see Pete come tearing back with Duke trying to pull the legs out from under him!

Duke was a heck of a dog too- not one you want to mess with.  The place we used to work (www.emwc.com) was in an industrial park, right next to a rail line.  One night while talking with Duke's owner Chris, we were absentmindedly throwing a stick for Duke to fetch.  One throw must have gone close to the rail because a few minutes later there was this odd sound.  We looked over and here comes Duke dragging a railway tie!

Another time Duke was locked in the basement while Chris and his wife were having a bit of a party.  One of Chris' friends, who was amazingly drunk opened the door and let Duke out.  Duke ran from person to person scaring the crap out of people while Chris tried to catch him.  The drunk guy leaned over saying something like "what a cute doggy, give's a kiss!" and Duke, who didn't know this guy, jumped up and ripped his lips off!  Well, just his bottom one, and then only one side...  Chris sends the dog back down to the basement and rushes the friend to the emergency room with his lower lip just hanging off one side of his face.  When they get there, the doctors refuse to work on him because he is way too drunk.  I know this isn't funny, but I can't help but laugh at this story because I am trying to picture Chris trying to get a guy with no lower lip to drink coffee to sober him up so they can stitch his lip back on!

Def

Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 06:56:46 PM
Trust me mate that is a funny story :D

A malanois is related to a teverun, but they are very different dogs, both tervs and gronies are working dogs, and have a very, very keen sence of social order, once they've bonded with you, they would never allow anything to happen to you (like all good dogs) they are fearsomely clever dogs too :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: December 24, 2007, 07:03:22 PM
I forgot the best thing about Duke and Pete running around- Duke was dark colored and Pete was all white so they'd disappear and when they'd come back, Pete would be covered in grass stains and brown mud stains!.  You knew Duke was the same but the dirt didn't show on his coat so he looked the same as when they took off!

It was just so funny to see them both come back, one looking untouched and the other looking like he'd been put through the ringer!

Pete was also very protective of me.  He was never violent or aggressive about it, but if he felt someone was too close he'd stand between us and lean into their legs until they stepped back.  When I got married, if I went to bed first, Pete wouldn't let Kim into bed with me!  I'd have to get up, take Pete out of the room so Kim could crawl into bed, then go back to bed myself, and Pete would curl up on top of me, which was his favorite place to sleep.  We did that for weeks!

Def

Reply #48 on: December 24, 2007, 07:06:14 PM
Sod that! a hundred pound of dog laying on you all night :)

I want another doggy now ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: December 24, 2007, 07:25:40 PM
Come now, he was only about 75 pounds! :P

Def

Reply #50 on: December 24, 2007, 09:13:59 PM
Come now, he was only about 75 pounds! :P

Def
Thats still enough on my scrawny bones :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:31 PM
The worst part was when he'd stretch out in the middle of the night and dig his toenails in your armpits!

Or the time he got sprayed by a skunk...

Def

Reply #52 on: December 24, 2007, 09:29:29 PM
The worst part was when he'd stretch out in the middle of the night and dig his toenails in your armpits!

Or the time he got sprayed by a skunk...

Def
Lovely :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: December 24, 2007, 09:39:19 PM
Tell me about it- it was about 1am and no stores were open so I had to go to bed with him smelling like that and head out first thing in the morning to buy tomato juice.  Of course, since he is white, bathing him in tomato juice just dyed him pink!  He didn't seem so intimidating then! :P

Def

Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 10:01:19 PM
Tell me about it- it was about 1am and no stores were open so I had to go to bed with him smelling like that and head out first thing in the morning to buy tomato juice.  Of course, since he is white, bathing him in tomato juice just dyed him pink!  He didn't seem so intimidating then! :P

Def
:D :D

I'd pay to see that  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2007, 10:20:33 PM
That was long ago and I've no pictures of it... was funny as all heck though!

One of these days when I meet you face to face I'll tell you some of the other funny stories about that dog, including the time he broke his "man part."  I think that one will have to be told over a pitcher or two as I cringe just thinking about it!

:o

Def

Reply #56 on: December 24, 2007, 11:00:09 PM
That was long ago and I've no pictures of it... was funny as all heck though!

One of these days when I meet you face to face I'll tell you some of the other funny stories about that dog, including the time he broke his "man part."  I think that one will have to be told over a pitcher or two as I cringe just thinking about it!

:o

Def
Jez that made me wince 3k miles away :o

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: December 24, 2007, 11:18:43 PM
Like I said, I'll tell you when there's at least one pitcher in easy reach...  :cheers:

Def

Reply #58 on: December 24, 2007, 11:21:48 PM
Like I said, I'll tell you when there's at least one pitcher in easy reach...  :cheers:

Def
Well you'd best drink yours first, I'm a complete light weight were booze is concerned :D

Seriously 2 pints of stella and I used to be pissed as a newt ::)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #59 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:24 AM

Def
Well you'd best drink yours first, I'm a complete light weight were booze is concerned :D

Seriously 2 pints of stella and I used to be pissed as a newt ::)

That is interesting.  I thought that all the guy across the pond could hold their own. :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%