Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll: Leatherman knives - should I get one

Poll

Should I buy a Leatherman knife

Yes, you should definitely get one
19 (82.6%)
Yes, and I happen to have one to trade with you
0 (0%)
No, don't waste your money... there are too many other multis to buy
2 (8.7%)
No, mod your Fuse
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 17, 2011, 06:22:03 PM

us Offline 82brutus

on: September 15, 2011, 06:22:03 PM
So, I have been really loving the fact that the Fuse is a very good size plier based tool and yet, remarkably for jeans or cargo shorts, it is remarkably lightweight and pocketable. 

I can pair that up with an original skeletool CX which has the bit driver but it's partially serrated and so I don't tend to carry it much because I'm not that "partial to serrations"   :pok:   and it feels like with any amount of torque using the screwdriver, it feels like the plier head would sheer. 

So, another option I was considering was to obtain one of the Leatherman knives with the bit driver to complement my Fuse.  Hoping that when using the screwdriver with these, it will feel much more stable.

What are your opinions?    :think:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Poll: Leatherman knives - should I get one
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:46 PM
I'd mod the Fuse and keep a knife as a knife. Did it with my Kick and it worked a treat. In fact my Kick is knifeless too  :D

For some reason I like to keep my knife seperate from the complications of other tools. It just works better for me - I hate using knives with are bogged down with other stuff. For that reason I don't tend to mind serrations on multitools, as it's a secondary blade only for emergencies or when a different type of cutting is needed.

Flipside to that arguement though, is it can be quite useful sometimes to have a driver to tighten a screw whilst having a pair of pliers seperate to grip the nut it's screwing into.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:37:09 PM
I'd buy a knife and keep the fuse as is. It's one of my favorite multis. :2tu:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:12 PM
You can tell we are a bunch of enablers on this site  :ahhh

Both posts have kind of said not to bother whereas every vote so far has said definitely get one  :cheers:

I've got a Leatherman k502x and their cheaper c33x. Both are great knives although the k502x is a bit bulky, which I prefer.

I would recommend getting one if you see a good deal. However, based on your requirements I would agree with Ashley and get yourself a good solid pocket knife  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:48 AM
I've modded my Bladeless fuse to take a bit driver(and anyway you can get a Fuse specific bit driver anyway,PM me if your interested),so I'd say keep the Fuse as is,or mod it.I'd love to try the LM knives,but no stick with what you've got,and improve it!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:19:09 AM
I've been looking at the knives as well I really like the k502x.  I'm the same way with the skele it's a love hate relation.  I think onboard spare bits is a great idea which is maybe why i originally got the skele.  Do the knives all have pocket clips?  Every tool should also have removable pocket clips IMHO.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:26:05 AM
Ooooh check out the e55b on LM's site :gimme: just missing the can opener which is fine.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:26:55 AM
Ooooh check out the e55b on LM's site :gimme: just missing the can opener which is fine.

Add a P-51 and you're covered. :D

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:07:06 AM
@cerbera147 - This group is definitely about enabling but also a wealth of experience and knowledge.

@kirk13  I'm most definitely interested.  Pm incoming.
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:39 AM
Go for one of the c33 series!! :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 09:04:25 AM
Havent been able to find mine.... Been driving me nuts.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:17:13 AM
Might be worth looking at the Buck X-Tract line too  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:51:05 AM
Doh.  You had to bring up the buck extract.   I had been looking at those at one time.

So overwhelmingly, the votes were to get one and so I'll keep me eyes open for one of those and maybe a buck and some fodder to mod my fuse. 

Thanks... I think. :cheers:   :tu:

Offline shecky

Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:40:09 AM
Leatherman knives start at about $15. Not bad for a US made modern folder.

I have a last generation Leatherman knife. Low end model. It's a bit of an odd bird, with some unusual details. But it finds its way into circulation and has been reliable.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:52 AM
If you would like my $0.02 on the situation, I say keep the Fuse handy and go get an e33bx or e55bx (Those models are partial serrated blade models, unsure of straight blade exact model). I have both and they are excellent folding knives with sturdy bit drivers and a bottle opener/carabiner. Nice to have bit storage in the handle also.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:40 PM
If you would like my $0.02 on the situation, I say keep the Fuse handy and go get an e33bx or e55bx (Those models are partial serrated blade models, unsure of straight blade exact model). I have both and they are excellent folding knives with sturdy bit drivers and a bottle opener/carabiner. Nice to have bit storage in the handle also.

I always appreciate another opinion on it!!!   It's nice to hear from the people who have tried them and liked them as well as the ones that didn't like them.    Thanks!   :cheers:

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:36 PM
Couldn't be happier with mine, very strong and very sharp!

england Offline macabee

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:51:31 PM
I have the Leatherman Expanse Lock Knife  E33Lx, I consider this to be an excellent choice the blade is crafted from 154CM stainless steel.

The knife body is a 60% Glass-filled Nylon and Stainless Steel Handle with a Removable Pocket Clip.

I have to say that the blade is wickedly sharp. As I presume that most contributers to this part of the forum already own a multitool the Leatherman Expanse Lock Knife  E33Lx would fit the bill.

It does what it says on the tin :multi:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 04:40:31 PM
Just an update to this thread.  I ended up picking up a LT c55B for $25.   I've been carrying it for about a week now and here are my impressions.   

Overall, it's larger than I imagined it would be and larger than what I've been carrying, but it clips into the pocket nicely and isn't as noticeable in the pocket as I thought it would be.   8)  8)

The handle is a bit blocky, but not uncomfortable at all.  The grip seems pretty good and it opens smoothly and easily.  I haven't yet tried handling it with wet hands but the weather has turned damp and cold here recently so maybe that will give me some opportunities to see how the handle material holds up.  :-\

The bit driver is pretty cool.  Exactly what I had hoped it would be.  I have used the phillips driver a time or two now and it never fails to impress.  I like that it can basically be deployed one handed but was a little disappointed that there was no locking mechanism on it, but that hasn't presented any problems at all so far.     8)  8)  8)

The caribiner is a little tough to get out, but at the same time I won't need it the majority of the time but I really like knowing that it's there.   8)

The blade works well as expected and is a very good size for any range of tasks.  I haven't had any trouble with it except that it's hard for me to get used to the location of the lock release as of late I've really gotten accustomed to carrying liner locks.  8)  8)

Hmmm, did I forget anything?   :think:

Thanks for all the enabling.  It's been a good purchase so far.  :)

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 05:27:34 PM
The 55 is a great knife. Good size, good weight, great EDC. I dont EDC mine, but I do about 1 day a week just because I have it. I have the e55bx clipped in today. lovin it!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%