Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool, Swisstool Spirit or other?

Offline sramsay12

Swisstool, Swisstool Spirit or other?
on: September 18, 2011, 06:14:13 PM
Hey guys. So  i got my Swisschamp. It's great for EDC nice but not heavy-duty. So, i'm gonna get a pliers-based tool. I'll keep my Swisschamp for EDC, I think.
I really like the Swisstools. I could get the Swisstool Spirit Plus Ratchet and EDC it around the house and stuff, and use the Swisschamp for camping and hiking.. Or i could EDC the Swisschamp CS Plus and use the Swisstool in around the house, and in the car and stuff..

OR should i get a Leatherman Wave?

So, I'd like a multitool which is more of a tool, and i'll use the SAK as a handy little gadget.

Please don't suggest the Leatherman Charges, they're too expensive! Thanks in advanve!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Swisstool, Swisstool Spirit or other?
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:06 PM
Humm, lots of possibilities isn't there?  :)  For myself when I went shopping for a Victorinox pliers based MT I went for a Spirit X, it's got the best all-round tool selection, is hugely comfortable when used as pliers and is still a convenient size for EDC.  It's all a matter of personal preference though and none of the Vic MT's are bad.

The Wave is indeed a very good MT and has some advantages over the Vic offerings (the one handed opening blades and better wire cutters for example) but for my taste the Spirit X just edges it out.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:57:11 PM
I've got a Swisstool CS Plus, a Wave and two (soon to be three) Spirits.

They are all good tools that will serve you well. Here's a quick selection guide between the three in my eyes, but other people might will differ in their opinions/preferences.

Wave: Choose this if you want one hand opening blades, a diamond coated file, a pocket clip or a decent lanyard attachment point (lanyard points on the other two suck)

Swisstool: Heavier duty than the other two, and more tool options. GREAT scissors (depending on what model you go for), plus an awl, chisel/scraper, crate opener, and "square" which are missing from the Wave. The angled wrench and bits on the Plus model has saved the day for me many times.

Spirit: Everything a Swisstool offers in a condensed and more ergonomic package. The scissors aren't as good though and there is no square or ruler. GREAT file and bottle opener. I've never tried the ratchet

The Wave is my work tool (messy, oily gritty factory environment)
The Swisstool lives in my EDC bag as I know it can tackle everything I need it to wherever I am, irrespective of what else I might have on me.
The Spirit is my favourite though, and it's pocketable too. If I need a multitool at home, or one I can throw in my pocket in a hurry and know it's not going to let me down, it's the Spirit. Wonderful tool!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:37 PM
Spirit X or S . 95% of the capabilities of the Swisstool , more ergonomic package .

Chris

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:18:19 AM

So, I'd like a multitool which is more of a tool.

Surge  or  Super Tool 300 :tu:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:21:00 AM by Vadim »

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:46 AM
Take your time and be patient, if you stalk ebay you can get a super tool, surge or charge for a great price. My surge cost 33, a super tool 300 cost me 20! And the charge tti cost me 55. All for less than a swiss tool

de Offline Jmora

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:42 AM
when I think of it, the Wave has more innovative features than the spirit. OHO blades, that are larger, diamond file, also larger. but I still like the spirit better. go to a shop and hold the tools in your hands and see what is more appealing to you, its a personal decision. Or do the true MT.org thing and buy one of everything.  :D

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:16:54 AM
I had been using a Leatherman Kick as my EDC pocket multitool. With my bit adapter and bit kit, it made a real handy around the home tool for light repairs. I also have a Leatherman Super Tool 300 that road in my truck kit. In addition I recently, picked up an Otis gun cleaning kit with a Gerber multi-tool off of Ebay. Another Gerber Multi-plier sides in my squad duty bag.

Last week, I recieved my new Victorinox Spirit. All I can say is, "wow" what a great tool!
It was time to re-evaluate the rotation and location of all these great tools.

The Gerber/Otis multi-tool now rides in my truck tool kit.
The Supertool 300 is now my multi-tool of choice for heavier duty projects around the home

My new Victorinox Spirit is now my EDC "go to" multi-tool for quick repairs where ever my travels may take me. The combination of on board tools and smaller size makes it perfect for belt or pocket carry.

I've become quite the multi-tool junkie of late and started thinking if I was only allowed one multi-tool, I'd probably pick the Supertool 300 with the Victorinox Spirit, a close second. All my other mulit-tools are just iceing on the cake.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:19:28 AM by Randyc1974 »

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 02:33:19 AM
The swiss tool is awesome. I suggest leatherman to beggining collectors because they can be had for half a swiss tool cost on ebay. The msrp may be the same but sine there are more on the market, it is easier to get a good deal.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:50:11 AM
I would really like to have a Spirit but it's too rich for me.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:00:38 AM

Keep an eye out on the For Sale section and you can find great deals.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:50 AM

Checking everyday Cap.Also checking Ebay which is going to send me to the poor house.Seems like everytime I get on Ebay I buy something.Is there a 12 step plan or Ebay Anonymous available?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:21 AM

Checking everyday Cap.Also checking Ebay which is going to send me to the poor house.Seems like everytime I get on Ebay I buy something.Is there a 12 step plan or Ebay Anonymous available?

I'm very glad I don't have a ebay account or I would be incredibly broke.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 05:29:39 PM

I got my brand new BO Spirit on amazon for 36 bucks total! (xmas time) they do some nice holiday specials sometimes.
but mostly I get my Vic stuff from felinevet, he's the best :cheers:

sramsay12 caution, most MTs are not "heavy-duty", yes some are bigger/stronger than others but as a rule MTs are not as "heavy-duty" as a dedicated tool. a plier-based MT (med or large) will be more heavy-duty than your SC (especially in the pliers) be careful with removing bolts from your engine! lol

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:43 PM
I have all 3 and the spirit is by far my favorite. I have the on the road tour edition and I will tell you its worth all $90 it cost. I love it soooo much. I edc it in my front pocket everyday. Light weight and wayyy cool. Good luck. I suggest buying them all. :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 04:19:50 PM
Pictures say so much more than words ...  ;)

Paid a whopping 139 Euro for it, which is the "normal" price for the RT version here in Belgium ( 94 Euro for the Spirit X :( ) but it was absolutely worth it in my opinion  ;).

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 05:23:43 PM
Get a Spirit X.

I have a Swisstool RS and a Spirit X. I've also had a Leatherman Wave.  The quality/finish of the Wave falls fall way short compared to the Swisstools.

Get a Spirit X.

The Wave is not a bad tool, but I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it because it's not worth it, imho. But the Wave does OHO blades.  But if you want the features of the Wave , I'd save $$ and get the Wingman that is coming out next month. 

Get a Spirit X.

The full sized Swissttools are great, but very heavy for 95% of folks out there. The Spirit is 27% lighter (and only a little smaller),  but it feels like 50% the weight AND size of a Swissttool. 

In case I didn't mention it: Get a Spirit X:D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:26:24 PM by shamus »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 05:28:39 PM
lol. :D

get a spirit X
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline macabee

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 11:41:43 AM
I have a Swisstool, I also have LM's and SOG's, but I have to say that Victorinox Swisstool beats them hands down. The feel and handle of the Swisstool just exudes quality and precision.

I do not think that the Swisstool is much heavier than the equivilant LM's and SOG's, but the Swisstool has one major advantage, all the tools open from the outside.

In this life you get what you pay for, with Victorinox IMHO you get value for money :tu:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

bn Offline jojotlc

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 05:15:17 PM
Pictures say so much more than words ...  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

Paid a whopping 139 Euro for it, which is the "normal" price for the RT version here in Belgium ( 94 Euro for the Spirit X :( ) but it was absolutely worth it in my opinion  ;).

nice pics.. :salute:
this i like for de-stress therapy :tu:..for a user with small sized palm, Spirit is pleasantly better for grip..Swisstool is heavyduty like LM supertool..
had hold both before (in transit) a SwissTool & Spirit, wow factor is Spirit with little loss of SwissTool functionality. Screw driver slip is a 'must'  occurence with Vics.
A used Spirit seldom listed for sale, compared to a Swisstool..that tells something.. ::)
or the otherway.. :think:
Inner Peace  8-)

us Offline Agent X68

• "My blackberry's not working" (see sig for video)
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 01:44:18 AM
I like the swisstool spirt x or s, depending on you blade preference.  I have an s and love it.  It has full size pliers and great ergonomics.  I thought I would never use half of the tools in there, but it has proven to be one of my most useful tools.
Make a tool idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot. Also, Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
:)  See my personal text:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD