Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Original Supertool Owners Club

Zed · 1102 · 69132

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Original Supertool Owners Club
Reply #60 on: April 05, 2014, 06:26:47 PM
I've never been convinced that the change was made to prevent all the blade from getting stuck open all the time.  No, I think it was simply that they'd come up with a lock system that didn't rely on having to fish out another tool. 

Personally I never had an issue with the original method, but I can see why a designer, with the option of using a dedicated lock release, would go for it.

I believe Bob has a prototype/in-house design that has the ST200 rolled edges, but without any roll-locks.  A sort of half way between an original and a 200. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
I've never been convinced that the change was made to prevent all the blade from getting stuck open all the time.  No, I think it was simply that they'd come up with a lock system that didn't rely on having to fish out another tool. 
Personally I never had an issue with the original method, but I can see why a designer, with the option of using a dedicated lock release, would go for it.
I believe Bob has a prototype/in-house design that has the ST200 rolled edges, but without any roll-locks.  A sort of half way between an original and a 200. 8)

Agreed on both points. I seem to remember that ST200 of Bobs but cant remember were the pic of it is. 
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: April 05, 2014, 11:49:04 PM
Can't find the pics either. :shrug:

BOB!!!
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 12:06:11 PM
When i first got my Supertool it took me effectively only 5 minutes to get all tools stuck open  :-[
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 12:45:35 PM
These answers ae about what i expected: Stuck tools is not really a problem and the change has only been made to have an obvious selling point over the old tool.

I would really love to see a modern KISS tool from leatherman.
T - `cause i like tea :)

us Offline David

Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
When i first got my Supertool it took me effectively only 5 minutes to get all tools stuck open  :-[

Wow, that must be the world record!    :D

These answers ae about what i expected: Stuck tools is not really a problem and the change has only been made to have an obvious selling point over the old tool.

I would really love to see a modern KISS tool from leatherman.

Me to.
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #66 on: April 15, 2014, 09:26:58 PM
Wooooo!  Another club I can join :D  Count me in with my basically new and unused Supertool.  Quite a deal I think, and it looks like it's not been used as the seller claimed, which is awesome :tu:  I'll post pics tonight.
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #67 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:00 PM

hahaha.... I can just see you getting all the tools stuck open on one side and you look at the other set of tools and go. "hmmm.. lets see if this side is the same." Fast forward 4 more minutes and your sitting there with all the tools deployed and stuck open.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 02:47:46 AM
Here are the pics of my Supertool:

K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 02:00:33 AM
Nice looking Supertool. What is the date codes on it?

Hold Fast
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 04:01:07 AM
Nice looking Supertool. What is the date codes on it?

Hold Fast

Thanks David :salute:  Sorry, I meant to include the dates:  0897 and 0997
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Philby

Reply #71 on: April 20, 2014, 11:26:35 AM
Who has the earliest dates, I have one with 08/94 on both handles.

us Offline David

Reply #72 on: April 20, 2014, 05:43:37 PM
I have a 0894 both handles. These are the earliest I now of. I have a 0295 0395 ST that came in a 94 dated box and the paperwork is dated 0794.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #73 on: April 20, 2014, 08:01:14 PM
The Original SuperTool was my first multitool and I still rate it as the best...I've seen a few of the others but didn't like them, wouldn't mind having a look at a Rebar  ;)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 09:29:47 PM
Here are the pics of my Supertool:

That sure is one nice looking Supertool you have there, looks brand-new, welcome to the club my friend :tu:.

The original Supertool was my very first real multitool (only owned a couple of cheap SAK knock-off's before my ST), and it's still one of my favorites.

It reminds me of the good old days when tools were flawless, simple in design, but produced without any shortcomings.  Nowadays there always seems to be something rubbing against something that it should'nt be rubbing against, something with too much play, the same ruler on both sides ...  ::)

Just checked the date codes and mine is dated 1094  8).

By the way, thanks for making me take my old trusty friend out of its storage box again, last time I held him in my hands was when I was taking pics of my Supertool collection.

Just noticed that I forgot about my BO ST300 when I was taking these pics ... shame on me  :twak:.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #75 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome Eric :salute:  I only wish I'd gotten into MTs back in the 90's.  Yes, this one is basically brand new.  All tools have not been used as far as I can tell, and that is what the seller claimed.  It had just been sitting in its sheath.  No real marks on it at all.  And it was only $35, which I believe to be quite a deal really :tu:  And I'm happy to have given you reason to get your old friend back out ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: April 21, 2014, 04:04:16 AM
I hope to join here eventually, I think I'll get a st300 first though

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 05:06:48 AM
Here's my SuperTool chillin' after a bit of work.  I'm really loving this thing :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #78 on: May 18, 2014, 05:29:42 AM
Nice shot of your ST MR. What the date codes on your ST? The reason I ask is it appears to have the older knife blade and a small pivot plier head.
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #79 on: May 18, 2014, 05:42:09 AM
Nice shot of your ST MR. What the date codes on your ST? The reason I ask is it appears to have the older knife blade and a small pivot plier head.

Thanks :)  Date codes of 0897 and 0997.  I'm not sure if the plier pivot is small, or if there are different sizes among the original SuperTools.  It may be the angle of the shot?  Here's another pic that better shows these things:

K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #80 on: May 18, 2014, 05:53:24 AM
I looked at the knife blade wrong it is the newer style. There are two different style knife blades and two sizes of pivots used in the plier heads. As a general rule of thumb the pivots changed in the 1996 and the knife blades in 1997. More info here.     :)
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #81 on: May 18, 2014, 06:32:45 AM
Thanks for that link David :salute:  It's always interesting to see these differences over the lifespan of these tools.  Makes me wish I had the saber type blade though as I like the looks of those. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: May 18, 2014, 06:36:59 AM
Mine with his little brother.

DSCN0894.JPG
* DSCN0894.JPG (Filesize: 190.99 KB)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:38:43 AM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline David

Reply #83 on: May 18, 2014, 06:42:40 AM

Thanks for that link David :salute:  It's always interesting to see these differences over the lifespan of these tools.  Makes me wish I had the saber type blade though as I like the looks of those. 

MR yes it is interesting. I like the saber blade better also. I have tried to find a 97 with the saber blade and have seen a couple over the years but they always seem to slip away.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:44:20 AM by David »
Hold Fast

gb Offline Philby

Reply #84 on: May 18, 2014, 09:41:57 AM
I like the sabre better, also I think the larger plier pivot is stronger, could be coincidence but the three older wider pivot super tools I have are still tight, no latteral wobble.   The grinding on the knives of my three sabre blade tools are all slightly different. Photos on the way. :tu:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:05:20 AM by Philby »

gb Offline Philby

Reply #85 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:12 AM
Bottom to top, dates  08/94. 09/94. 10/95.  The grinding gets smaller from bottom to top, giving the appearance of a thicker spine. Hand ground blades? See the grind line running through the nail nick, by the 10/95 blade the nail nick is totally out of the grind line. I like the 10/95 blade best.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 102.67 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 80.99 KB)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:57:19 AM by Philby »

us Offline David

Reply #86 on: May 18, 2014, 06:16:38 PM
Philby that is intersting. Now I got to go dig out all the ST's and look at the grind lines.    :D

My favorite ST has a saber knife blade, large pivot and hard wire notch. It's date codes are 0995 and 1095.     :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:30:18 PM by David »
Hold Fast

gb Offline Philby

Reply #87 on: May 18, 2014, 07:16:05 PM
The 09/94 has a saber blade, wide plier pivot with hard wire notch. I've also got another 09/94 but this one has the new clip blade and large plier pivot without hard wire notch? Must have been a warranty repair?

us Offline David

Reply #88 on: May 18, 2014, 07:29:15 PM
I was thinking the hard wire notch came in mid to late 95 and none of my ST's before then have the hard wire notch.    :think:
Hold Fast

gb Offline Philby

Reply #89 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:02 PM
I'm thinking this also must be a warranty repair, only one handle is 09/94 the other side is 08/94! Far to early for hard wire notch?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%