Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The WorkChamp

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
The WorkChamp
on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:56 AM
Up for review here today is the Victorinox Workchamp:

Behold!

One of Vic's 111mm line of tools, featuring the Slide Lock. It's the second largest of the 111mm line behind only the Workchamp XL. The XL is more of one of Vic's "throw all the available options into it just to say we did" tools, much like the XAVT. The Work Champ is more in line with the similarly named Swiss Champ, in that it's intended to be the largest "realistically usable" tool in the line up. The tool compliment is very well thought out, consisting of what are probably the most used tools on a SAK without any filler or redundancy: Blade, scissors, saw, file/metal saw, pliers, two dedicated Phillps drivers, awl, corkscrew with mini driver, and of course the ever-present openers and toothpick/tweezers. There are no extra blades, hooks, fish scalers, or "pharmacutecal spatulas" to be found here. 

Overall build quality is of typical Victorinox standards, which is to say it's pretty much perfect. When you consider the shear number of tools that factory pumps out per day, it astounds me that they can have such unbelievably consistant and flawless quality control. This is not the standard to which all other multis should be measured, It's the standard to which all other PRODUCTS should be measured. The engineering, precision, tolerances, assembly work, everything, is just unmatched. The Workchamp is of course no different. It is faultless.

The design, however is tricky to rate. See, I love it, but some people won't. It's very polarizing in my opinion because it walks a really strange line between compact and full size. It's a full sized tool with compact implements. The ergonomics are great, many of the tools are nice and usable, and plenty strong. Thing is though, they are basically of the strength found in any smaller sized SAK. Sure they are quite strong and will take a lot of abuse, but they're sitting in a massive, full sized frame where they seem almost dainty in relation to the tool as a whole. We'll touch on this more in depth in the pliers section.

I mentioned the ergonomics which is a crucial factor in any multi tool. I don't think you can find a more comfy tool to use. You have a real "handle" to grip, that is actually shaped for your hand, and big enough to properly hold onto. Aside from the awkwardness of the pliers, you'd be hard pressed to find anything else on the market that feels this good to use. Granted, in classic Vic fashion, it's seemingly designed for lefties, the lock and blade placement being reversed from what they should be for the majority of the human race. If you're a lefty (FREAK!!) then the lock will feel perfectly natural, but rather odd for the rest of us. Which is good seeing as you really probably don't want to close this thing one-handed anyway, I'll explain why further down in the review. Even the nylon scales, which traditionally I hate, feel pretty decent here. Not Dual Density awesome, or even Cellidor solid, but certainly a lot better than my only other 111mm I own, the Sentinel. I think a lot of that stems from not having the liner lock, witch leaves an open, hollow area of the scale exposed resulting in a horribly cheap sound and feel.

A lot of people may take issue with trying to lug it around in their pocket. I can't blame them. Unless you have fairly large pockets, it just won't work too well. I used to EDC a Surge and CT-34 at the same time, so the Workchamp is svelte in comparison, but it is a bit long and bulky. When it comes to usability however, it is very good. It's a bit narrower than the Swisschamp as you can see here:

It's a bit deceiving, it actually feels even slimmer than this to me

I was afraid it may be hard to handle, but it really isn't, at least for my somewhat large-ish hands. Compared to the Swisschamp that I'm accustomed to carrying and using everyday, it feels downright slim. The drivers feel much more centrally located (though actually, they aren't) than most multis making it far more natural to actually turn a screw. There is plenty of good, solid, stable grip for using the knife, saw, and file.

I use SAK scissors to cut my fingernails, can you tell?

We'll do a tool-by-tool breakdown hitting on the important bits that seperate the Workchamp from the standard SAK fare. You'll notice that nearly all the pics include the equivillent SwissChamp implement for comparison.

First off is the blade: It's huge. It's sharp. It's awesome. And it locks. It is a two hand opening affair that is literally the main blade from the 91mm line scaled up about 200% it seems. As such, it is everything you would expect from a Vic knife: well shaped for general utility, straight-razor sharp, and shiny. Aside from it's almost excessive size, what makes it special is the lock:

I like it better than their liner lock, and I love their liner lock

The slide lock works very, very well. One of those stupid-simple designs that just flat out works. Between the spring tension (more on that later) and how solidly it locks, you'd have to do something pretty stupid to close this blade accidentally. The blade is so good in fact, that this is the first SAK I've used where the "Knife" in "Swiss Army Knife" actually makes sense. The blade isn't just another tool layer like the traditional SAK or in a pliers based multi, the Workchamp (and by extension the entire 111mm line) is a dedicated folder with a bunch of tools tacked on. It really is that good. As big or solid as say a Benchmade? No, of course not, but for 95% of the regular uses for a knife you'll likely enounter on a daily basis it's more than enough.  Unless for some reason you think you need one hand opening, this could legintimately replace a dedicated folder for a lot of, if not most, people.

It's really almost too big

The official seal of quality

Next up is the pliers: This is where the problem may come in for a lot of people. They are 100% the same small, awkward, seemingly useless pliers found in the 91mm tools. Literally the only difference being a nail knick in the head since in the Workchamp the tip of the pliers normally used to raise the tool is inaccesible. Personally, I think the pliers are fantastic for what they are. If you get a bit creative about how you hold the tool, they can get more done than they would seem, but for delicate work they are unparalleled in my opinion. If you need to do any work inside a computer tower for instance, I've found nothing better for grabbing jumpers, or working with those rediculously tiny header panel/system speaker connections on a motherboard. I've used them for all manner of small, precision jobs and I love 'em. I've even managed to turn some bigger, tighter bolts, and bend much thicker, stronger metal than you would think them capable of. For daily use, they are much better than they would seem, typical chintsy spring aside. The problem with them here though, is that the Workchamp is much bigger than a typical SAK, in fact it's bulkier and about as heavy as most pliers based multis on the market, and herein lies the problem: The small pliers feel out of place on such a large heavy duty tool. Most people would rather get a slimmer tool, with better pliers, such as the Swisstool Spirit. We'll talk more about this issue in the closing comments.

Love it or hate, they really do work

#2 Phillips: This is where it gets cool again- the first of TWO dedicated Phillips drivers. In this case an oddly short, stubby, overbuilt beast of a #2, which stores UNDERNEATH the pliers. This is why the pliers need a nail knick, the driver has a nub (to open it with) that blocks the tip of the pliers. Some may complain that it's a pain having to open the pliers to get the driver out, and they have a point, but I don't think it's much of a problem. It shaves an entire layer out of the tool, plus it's no more cumbersome than opening up a Leatherman, or opening two obstructions on a Powerlock. The driver is fantastic. No weird #1/#2 hybrid thing that never fits anything right happening here. This is a proper driver. It's weirdly short and stubby (as a concession to fitting under the pliers), but it's very thick and sturdy. Going to mention spring tension here again, as the driver locks in with ton of force. It snaps into place HARD. The nice thing is that between the short length (no leverage) and the tremendous spring tension, it's a lot harder than normal to collapse the thing. It almost negates my desire for a locking Phillips. It's about as secure as a non-locking tool can ever get. I like.

It's not the size that counts...

File/ Metal Saw: Not much to say really. It's the same thing on the 91mm, only bigger. It works just as great (yes, it will hack off screws just fine) and is more effective thanks to the increased size, and the better grip afforded by the tool's larger, and more ergonomic handle. If you go to use it, expect great things.

Not often used, but it works great

Wood Saw: Aaahhh the famous Victorinox saw. Like the file, it's just bigger than the 91mm, but no different. It's just as surprisingly sharp and effective as ever, only moreso. I'm pretty sure you could take down an entire oak tree with this thing. If you do any camping and find yourself using the saw with any regularity, this is what you want. I'm pretty sure it's about the biggest you will find on any multi, and after 100 years, still one of the best designed. Add in the benefit of having a real handlle that you can get a good grip on, and you have the makings of the finest multi-tool saw on the planet.

Just look at that thing

Scissors: Absolutely zero changes from any other Victorinox scissors save the Spirit. Still work great, still have the horrible spring. Nothing else to say really.

Thankfully, the spring is easy to replace

#1 Phillips: Like the #2, the #1 fits beneath the scissors. It's almost double the length of the #2, and much thinner. It's perfect for getting into those deep recessed small screws in electronics, toys, etc. I am thoroughly in love with it. Vic needs to start putting these on more of their  tools. This is where we talk about backsprings again, the spring tension on this thing is rediculous. By far the most insane backspring I have ever seen. It doesn't "click" into place it doesn't even "snap", it BANGS into position. Your neighbors might hear you engage the driver. The chances of you accidentally closing it are slim, it locks into place with a fury, but if does collapse, it's going to hurt. Trust me on this.

Love at first sight

Openers: Same as any other SAK. Same amazing can opener, effective bottle opener, decent but slightly odd flat head drivers, light duty pry tool, and totally worthless "wire stripper". Moving on.

All the prerequisites for calling it a SAK are filled

Awl: Just like the 91mm, works better than any other awl I've used, but is scary as Hell to use thanks to it's propensity to close onto your finger.

Awesome, but nerve-wracking

Corkscrew: Couldn't tell you, I've never used one, likely never will. I don't even see it as an extra tool, just a holder for the minidriver.

Minidriver: If, like me, you wear glasses that love nothing more than to randomly explode at the worst times, this will be your best friend. If you know anybody who wears glasses, you will be their best friend for having this with you.

It's not a crorkscrew, it's a fancy holster

Toothpick and Tweezers: Yep.

Present and accounted for

On spring tension: Yes I feel spring tension warrants an entire paragraph unto itself. It really is that big a deal on this tool for some reason. The blade actually pulls itself out of my hand both when opening and closing. It feels simply wonderful and you just KNOW it's a quality knife, but be careful. If you have your finger in the way of the blade when closing it, and you let slip of the blade, I'm convinced it could about guillotine your finger off. The #2 Phillps takes a lot of force to both engage and disengae, but only right at the point wear it locks/unlocks. For most of it's travel it basically moves freely with no tension at all, which is nice given how tricky it can be to pull out of it's place under the pliers when Vic gave you almost nothing to grab it with. The #1 Phillips though, holy cheese and crackers this thing scares me to close. I have bruised my thumb TWICE already closing the driver. It snaps closed so fast and so hard it honestly makes me more wary than the blade does. It can seriously hurt. It's a double edged sword really, it's the most solidly locking slipjoint based collection of tools I have ever seen. The sound and feel of quality is unmatched, and they give you a lot more leeway before they accidentally close, but they can be hard to deploy, and you need to be careful closing certain items. The scissors, pliers, saw, and file all have the same tension you'd find in any other SAK, whichh actually makes them feel almost weak in comparison, same for the openers.

Questions for Victorinox:
1- Why does the flathead/bottle opener/ pry tool have a half-stop, but neither of the Phillpis drivers do?
2- Why do you STILL use such woefully bad springs in the scissors and pliers? You don't need to design     new ones, just make 'em thicker. It would add more "springiness" which I feel is desperately needed in both tools, and make them less prone to randomly breaking.
3- Explain how to use the so-called "wire stripper" please?
4- Is Carl Elsener left-handed?

These are nitpicky half humorous questions. All in all, this is a truly magnificent tool. Probably my new all-time favorite  EDC multi. In fact, I foresee it being my go-to EDC for a long time to come. The Workchamp is one of the most finely crafted multi-tools ever fashioned. Period. Unfortunately, it's easy to see why it isn't more popular. It is a rather niche tool, as It sits in a very unusual place between a SAK and a pliers based multi. It's bulkier and heavier than many "full sized" tools, but offers the features of a much smaller SAK, especially where the pliers are concerned.

The SOG Powerlock is more pocketable

The Workchamp may very well be one of the best multi-tools ever released, but if you want something heavy duty you may very well be better off with a Swisstool or Leatherman, and if you want something compact, you may as well just get a 91mm (or smaller) SAK. The Workchamp is absolutely the best of it's kind, but unfortunately most people may question whether it's a niche the world really needs. I for one  say yes, yes it does.

How's this for tolerances?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: The WorkChamp
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:32 AM
Really enjoyed that!  Great picures!  I didn't realize it had TWO Phillips drivers! :tu: 8)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:24:32 AM
Excellent review.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:22:41 AM
Good review, now I want one...

As for your question 2, maybe they just want to look different from Wenger; after all they own the company and could have used the Wenger spring system..(and the Wenger locking flathead system too)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:53 AM
Outstanding review!!!  Thanks very much for that.  As I said in your thread on this tool in the SAK forum, I've been wanting one of these for a while now.  After reading your review I have no doubt it will be a great replacement for my SwissChamp.  I've always felt it was too short and stubby for what it is, even though I do truly love it.  I've got an Outrider, one of the smaller 111mm models, and it too has been a great tool... I've had it for almost 7 years and it's still going strong.  I'd EDC it instead of my Champ, but I really need those little pliers for biking.  It's a shame they didn't scale them up for the 111mm size tool, but I guess it's to make them fit in the same layer as the #2 philips driver.

I agree with you on this tool being sort of an in-betweener... my Outrider feels like that sometimes.  At the same time, I also usually carry a regular multi (for several months now it's been my Octane), as well as a SAK, so the little pliers aren't an issue for me.  For me, they're often a life saver.  As you mention in the review, my experience is that nothing beats them for digging stuff out of bike tires.

I'll shut up now; I'm just rambling.  :D

Thanks again, truly excellent review!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:08:56 AM
Excellent review. I've been hovering over pictures of the Workchamp on the net for a while, and while it's a great tool, your review has helped me decide that for me I'd be better off sticking to the Swisstool and Spirit. Yes the scissors are better than the Spirit, and it has the scale tools which the other two do not, but for me the Spirit doesn't leave me wanting anything that the Workchamp provides.

I've got got any of the 111mm line myself, my only oversize SAK being the Swissgrip which has an even bigger knife and even bigger saw - but full sized pliers. I can see this being a very usefull tool for people, but as you say it is a niche tool, and unfortunately I don't fall into that niche.

Thanks again for the great insight  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:46 PM
Thats exactly the crux of the problem: The Spirit. I bought this to replace my Spirit that a coworker lost on me. The spirit does offer more in a more efficient package. For me though, I actually like the Workchamp better for my personal EDC uses. Its certainly not a tool for everybody, but should you ever have a chance I do recommend you give it a try.

As for the question #2 thing: I dont think they want to be different from Wenger, so much as its just tradition. Victorinox is historically pretty phobic about change. Which is both their weakest link and possibly their biggest strength.

Heinz, I think you'll like it. It takes up more space than the Swisschamp, but ups the usability quite a bit. It's actually a bit less versatile since theres fewer tools, but the ones missing are the ones nobody ever uses, in exchange for everything else being bigger and better.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:18 PM
Great review!  Thanks for the side by side comparisons and pics!
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:10 PM
SUPER REVIEW!!  with great comparison shots.   :tu:   :cheers:

I would change the description of the metal file/saw though.  As you have a newer Stainless-Steel cut file/saw that is cut right to the end (as it should be) on the 111mm, shown next to a regular hardended steel saw with cleaner tip on the 91mm.... so I would not call them the same at all.  The SS Saw/File is available on some 91mm knives though if you get lucky.

I also just noticed I have the long inline Phillips described as a #0/#00 tip as Victorinox shapes their tips to be a bit more flexixible on size.  You may want to check your #1 classification.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:41:23 PM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:56:33 PM
You know, I actually did mean to fix the file part and forgot about, thanks for reminding me lol. I didnt know about the Phillips thing though, but then Ive never been to clear on how Phillips sizing works.

EDIT: hmmm it appears to be too late for me to edit it. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:07:40 PM by thebullfrog »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:13 AM
Excellent review :salute:

I love how the phillips drivers are underneath the pliers and scissors, what an ingenious space saving design. Also the file looks awesome and extremely useful.

I only have one 111mm SAK, an OHT that I love. As far as I'm concerned if I need a bigger and sturdier knife than what is offered on the 111mm SAKs I would take a fixed blade instead. I'm a little surprised though that the screwdriver/cap lifter on the Workchamp is the same size as on the 91mms. On the OHT it is seriously bigger and thicker which I like.

I have found that in a lot of pants pockets the OHT carries more comfortably than a lighter 91mm. If I slide it in so that the wider end is at the bottom of the pocket, knife tip down, and leaning against the vertical seam, it will remain vertical and is quite comfortable. Not sure how the Workchamp would carry but after this review I expect I'll be finding out soon :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:32:52 PM
I was thinking about that driver/lifter/prybar thing writing the review. While Ive never seen the larger one in person, I know its a sturdy beast from what I've heard. Thing about though is that I honestly think the pivot would let go before the tool. I wouldnt trust putting enough force on the big one to make it worth having the extra strength. Its exactly how I felt about the beast of a prytool on the Spirit- I was always so afraid of messing up the pivot, that I never worked it any harder than I would the smaller design.

And thanks for all the compliments guys, been a long time since I put effort into a full review, nice to know it wasnt a complete waste if time lol

england Offline thesuper

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 05:49:21 PM
Truly Awesome revue mate :salute: I have had one for a while and agree with all you say. Though some of the tools are bigger/chunkier than normal, especialy the blade, they are still only attached by those small pins so dont be tempted to use more force than normal when using them.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:53:52 PM

Heinz, I think you'll like it. It takes up more space than the Swisschamp, but ups the usability quite a bit. It's actually a bit less versatile since theres fewer tools, but the ones missing are the ones nobody ever uses, in exchange for everything else being bigger and better.

Thanks for the info, you're confirming what I've already been thinking...  I don't use my Swiss Champ nearly as much as I used to because the two main things I used to use it for, the scissors and the blade, have been supplanted by other newer tools I have.  The only real use I have for it anymore are the little pliers.  I also still carry it primarily for sentimental reasons... my wife gave it to me as an present for our fifth anniversary.

I'm thinking I can swap out my Swiss Champ for the Work Champ, and get rid of a couple of other things I carry around in my bag at the same time, namely my Tenacious.  So if I can replace two tools with one, I'm all for it.  :D  I'll be swapping out my Octane with the Crunch I just ordered, and I'm thinking the Work Champ and the Crunch will be all I'll need in my cycling bag, other than a spare light and cells, so I'm definitely moving it up my priority list. 

Thanks again for your great review.  Very nice pics too BTW.  :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 03:46:22 AM
Just want to BUMP this TERRIFIC review.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 04:51:56 AM
Great review!  Thanks for bump on this one Aloha!! 

I didnt recall this one but just watch a video of a guy that practices and teaches bushcraft and he prefers this Workchamp over any mutitool like Lethermans etc. cause the saw and  main blade is longer and therefore work better for sawing/preparing wood for fires and the blade being longer is better for carving things like a wood spoon, fire drill, etc. as well as processing other material and food.

He basically carries a folding saw and a Workchamp for his bushcraft/camping outtings. Of course he doesnt use the screwdrivers much but the other tools kncluding the saw are well used in camping etc.

Based on his that video and it making sense to me to have one of these over a multitool, I am looking for a Workchamp myself to keep in my EDC bag instead of the Leatherman Surge as I was originally going to do.  So I will get one of these as the main tools are far better to be used in a EDC or BOB bag.  IMO too.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:53:55 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 05:43:46 AM
How would a workchamp be more of a benefit to YOU over the surge? I'm not trying to start anything just want your perspective of what would make it better. :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 05:51:04 AM
Great review.

Agree so much about the size making the blade and saw so good.

Got to carry mine tomorrow.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 07:04:57 AM
The comment above from Heinz about pairing with a Crunch in a bag/kit seems like an excellent plan.  I have a Hercules instead of a WorkChamp (no file), but that is a great idea.

I wanted the Hercules for outdoor/dayhike because plier-based tools seem like overkill in those scenarios at times, but these small pliers could handle tasks I would expect to encounter.  Adding the Crunch for the more urban tasks makes sense.

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 07:37:09 AM
How would a workchamp be more of a benefit to YOU over the surge? I'm not trying to start anything just want your perspective of what would make it better. :tu:

To me the Surge is more pliers and screwdriver based, which on day hikes or camping are not needed so carryi g something that is more plier/screwdriver based doesnt work for me. 

eddie115 touches on this exactly below and is my thoughts too!!  Fits way better for day hikes/outdoors/camping activities!  If I needed or wanted just a pliers, then I would just pair the Workchamp/Hercules with my Skeletool.

The comment above from Heinz about pairing with a Crunch in a bag/kit seems like an excellent plan.  I have a Hercules instead of a WorkChamp (no file), but that is a great idea.

I wanted the Hercules for outdoor/dayhike because plier-based tools seem like overkill in those scenarios at times, but these small pliers could handle tasks I would expect to encounter.  Adding the Crunch for the more urban tasks makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:40:53 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 01:13:15 AM
Really good review.  It convinced me to get one.... It's en route, so we'll see how it does

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:34 PM
Bumped this older review in the spirit of the 111 Challenge.  Enjoy!
Barry

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 04:27:20 AM
Thanks for the bump! I don't remember reading this review a decade ago. Coincidentally, I just acquired a slide lock Workchamp (or is it Work Champ?) after having been without one for years and I love it.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%