Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me build an ideal SAK

Offline batjka104

Help me build an ideal SAK
on: September 21, 2011, 02:23:53 PM
I would like to make a SAK with the following features:

1) Locking Blade
2) Pliers
3) In-line Phillips
4) In-line straight screwdriver

What is my best approach? I'm thinking the host knife could be Wenger S557. I would have to remove the scissors and cap lifter/can opener layers. Then I'd have to cut off one prong of the wrench and grind the remaining one down to make it into a straight screwdriver.

Any other ideas how to make the knife I want? Maybe a different host knife?

All help is greatly appreciated.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Help me build an ideal SAK
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:31:20 PM
Does it have to be 85mm or 91mm?  There's a 111mm knife (actually, a couple) that have all four requirements without much excess.

Offline batjka104

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:37:57 PM
I would like it to be as thin and light as possible. So yes, 85mm would be great, but I wouldn't mind 91mm either. The problem is 91mm knives don't have locking blades. At least not that I'm aware of.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:38 PM
Yeah, it took me a minute to remember that. ^^;

Your best bet would be to get a Evolution S557 and have someone remove the unnecessary layers. :tu:

Here is one for about $50 shipped.  Do note that the seller screwed up an order of mine, but made things right without much prompting from me. :tu:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:54:19 PM by Sazabi »

Offline batjka104

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:28 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. My only worry is how to re-make a wrench into a straight driver. Don't want to buy a Dremel just for that.

In my research I found that Wenger used a flat phillips on some of their models, in the same layer as the blade. If I could get a hold of one, I could even reduce the thickness by one layer. That is if the flat phillips works well on both slotted and phillips screws.

I also would like to replace the fat Evo scales with something thin.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:03 PM
You might want to try to find an LL Bean Wenger; those are the ones with the flat (tiny) inline Phillips opposite the main blade.

Offline batjka104

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:27:52 PM
Has anyone tried this screwdriver? How well does it work? Does it work on slotted screws as well?

Some current Wengers have a nail file opposite the main blade. Can it be re-worked to be flat phillips driver? They advertise it as a "screwdriver for small phillips screws". Maybe if the point is ground flat it will fit #2 screws.

I see there's an L.L. Bean knife on ebay right now, and it has that little phillips. But the price is $26 already with 3 days to go. And I would have to get Wenger pliers as well to put together what I need. So it will probably end up more expensive than just getting a new S557 and modifying it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%