Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Making A Pocket Pry Bar

us Offline MeadMaker

Making A Pocket Pry Bar
on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:10 AM
I've been wanting a pocket pry bar for my tool ring and have looked at so many models that I think I know them all on sight now.  The problem is that I don't want to spend any cash on one until I am certain that it will be as handy as I envision it being. 

There are some pictures out on the net of people making their own.  It all looks pretty simple.  I am not a metal worker, but I am an avid woodworking hobbyist and have some of the necessary tools, bench grinder, belt sanders, bench stones and files.   I have some 3/16"x3/4" bar stock left over from another project.   Shaping the tool doesn't look like much of a challenge, but it seems like the steel will be to soft to hold up to any prying or scraping.   Am I wrong?  The steel came from the local big box home center, so it's nothing special.
Tick Magnet

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:12:04 AM
I just bought a small one, like 4 inches long, from home depot. Cut off the really bent part, drill a hole in it, attach key ring and done.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline hig789

Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:27:00 AM
The one I have on my keychain is a micro pry bar, 5" I think, that came from my local hard wear store. I cut it to the length I wanted then sharpened the end opposite the pry bar into a flat head screw driver. I don't think plain mild steel will hold up very good, especially the scraper/pry bar.
Here's mine.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:35 PM
I just bought a small one, like 4 inches long, from home depot. Cut off the really bent part, drill a hole in it, attach key ring and done.

Who makes yours?  I am heading to home depot shortly now to see if I can pick one up.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:01 PM

Who makes yours?  I am heading to home depot shortly now to see if I can pick one up.

Lol I don't remember exactly. There aren't many small ones. Just pick the that's blue I think.

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:32:52 AM
I had an old 4 inch Craftsman that I did the same thing.Cut off the bent part,drilled a hole in the end and wrapped it with paracord.I carry it in my EDC pouch.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:29:19 AM
I tried that.  Picked up a small cheap pry bar, cut it off to length, rounded the cut end with a bench grinder, and attempted to drill the hole.  None of my bits will penetrate that steel.  I looked at buying a carbide bit but at $22 it puts the cost of the project over budget.
Tick Magnet

us Offline tattoosteve99

Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:01 AM
Heat it up drill it. Heat it up again and quench in oil. Done. You may have to repaint or blacken it.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:20 AM
The small pry bars i have been using to make mini pry bars i have been buying at sears for 2.00.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline tattoosteve99

Making A Pocket Pry Bar
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:26:10 AM
The small pry bars i have been using to make mini pry bars i have been buying at sears for 2.00.
Mike
Yep that one works too. :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:23 AM
I just picked up a Vaughan Mini bar (the blue one Steve!) for $5 at home depot.  I cut it off with my dremel and ground a radius on the end for comfort, then drilled a #1 hole for a paracord lanyard.  After deburring that hole and doing a bit of adjusting to the angle on the prying end, I dropped in in some solvent to dissolve the remaining paint and it should be done soon.  When it is I may shoot it with a black Enamel to prevent rust.  I just didn't like the blue.  If I like this one enough then I will be picking up a micro widgy from Countycomm.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 04:44:11 AM
You can also remove the paint with a wire wheel buffer if you have one. I gave a few away that i blued with gun bluing they turned out sweet.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:38 AM
I need to try something like that.  I don't have any chems strong enough to loosen paint ATM.  I had a paint removal wheel for my dremel but it has gone missing and none of the wire wheels I have for it will even touch this paint.  Luckily I work in a Collision Repair shop so my painter will have something for me that should do the trick.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:09:55 AM
I have the County Comm Widgy bars - LINK

There are three sizes and straight bar models as well. I've had the straight Micro Widgy on my keychain for a while, but I think I'll be going back to the regular Micro.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%