Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So how bad is Vista anyway?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
So how bad is Vista anyway?
on: December 23, 2007, 08:28:44 PM
The new laptop finally arrived after about a month of waiting and guess what?  It has Vista on it...  We are not amused....

Anyways, is it worth the effort to try and convert it or return it?  Or just use Vista and be done with it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Re: So how bad is Vista anyway?
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:31:17 PM
I am knuckle dragging luddite and I would not be keen on vista 'cause of all the bad things I have heard

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:33:29 PM
I've never encountered this mythical force, but the word 'in the industry' is to leave it alone for 6-12 months, let the boffins at Big M settle a few teething problems and the like, and then adopt a baby Vista after it has been microchipped and desexed.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:42:26 PM
Personally, I like the Vista better better than the Hybrid.  :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:44:54 PM
That was my plan originally, but after having waited a month for the laptop to show up, I'm not keen on sending it back.  I ordered this one because you could get it with XP.  I ordered it with XP.  It arrived and has Vista on it. 

Hands down, I'd prefer XP, but at the moment I am wondering if Vista is at least functional?

I haven't tried that Vista Bob, but the Hybrid is pretty nice.  Plus, when I drop it in the snow I can find it... except right there where the husky goes....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:50:10 PM
That was my plan originally, but after having waited a month for the laptop to show up, I'm not keen on sending it back.  I ordered this one because you could get it with XP.  I ordered it with XP.  It arrived and has Vista on it.

Does the sticker on the bottom (or top, or wherever they put it) say "Designed for Windows XP" or "Designed for Windows Vista" ?

I've heard (and will not put up anything to ensure it's truthfulness) that newer computers are being built for Vista, and thus won't run XP as efficiently as they might. (Something about graphics?)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 08:50:44 PM

Hands down, I'd prefer XP, but at the moment I am wondering if Vista is at least functional?

I haven't tried that Vista Bob, but the Hybrid is pretty nice.  Plus, when I drop it in the snow I can find it... except right there where the husky goes....

Def

Heh-heh ;)

I'm an XP guy myself. The wife has a fancy new Vista rig, I haven't heard any complaints. (And believe me, I would have!) That's about all I know on the subject :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 09:21:12 PM
I'm having a friend build a new system for my wife, & he won't put Vista on it - only XP.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:41 PM
The new laptop finally arrived after about a month of waiting and guess what?  It has Vista on it...  We are not amused....

Anyways, is it worth the effort to try and convert it or return it?  Or just use Vista and be done with it?

Def

Mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, MAC!!!!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Send that POS back and get A MAC!! They are much more compatible with PC's than people think.

Do they cost more? YES! Is steak more than hamburger, YES. Is a Mercedes more than a Honda, YES. WHY? Because they are BETTER!!

Your humble servant,

Calvin
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:36:26 PM

Send that POS back and get A MAC!! They are much more compatible with PC's than people think.

Do they cost more? YES! Is steak more than hamburger, YES. Is a Mercedes more than a Honda, YES. WHY? Because they are BETTER!!

Your humble servant,

Calvin

So what exactly are you trying to tell us Calvin? ???

;)

Offline kreskin13

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:36 PM

Your humble servant,

Calvin

So what exactly are you trying to tell us Calvin? ???

;)

It hurts when I pee.

When I'm forced to use a PC (at work daily) XP is the best. Thank the Lord I'm home now using a Mac.

Calvin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:53:01 PM by kreskin13 »
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 11:43:24 PM
Vista is fine as long as you have a decent enough computer behind it. It is a lot more memory intensive than XP, it requires at least 1GB, preferably 2GB. Its not as bad as everyone says it is and once you learn how to turn off some of the more annoying features its just as good as XP. It has had a lot of bad press but i know quite a few people who run perfectly stable and smooth systems with it on.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 11:52:40 PM
The sticker just says "Windows Vista Basic" and doesn't say what it's designed for.  It is running with 1g of RAM and I planned to upgrade it to 2, which is it's max.  Of course I planned to do that when I was still expecting XP. 

As far as Mac goes, I'd sooner run Linux!  :pok:

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 01:33:35 AM
The sticker just says "Windows Vista Basic" and doesn't say what it's designed for.  It is running with 1g of RAM and I planned to upgrade it to 2, which is it's max.  Of course I planned to do that when I was still expecting XP. 

Def

I have read a lot of good things about Linux but I think I killed too many brain cells when I as younger to figure it out. If I had to always use a PC I would learn to use Linux. One of the reasons I like Mac is that they're just easier and BETTER! I do use both PC and Mac everyday, so my hate for PC's (mainly because of Microsoft) grows every day. >:( :D

Calvin

[

Offline Biru

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 11:04:47 PM
I'm not incredibly literate on these types of things, but I too have read that installing XP on a Vista-designed machine tends to result in erratic XP performance.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:29 PM
imagine you had a lemon, and you learned how to make lemon aid, then used it on some foods, then you learned to scent your soap and under arms; fine
now imagine all you have is a rotten lemon, all the way to the core, that's vista! you will pay (literal)  if you keep it.

and don't believe the same ole promises they say, "we'll have updates soon and it'll be fine"
just like the updates they did for the past products they put out, fricken liars!!! They never fix their stuff boss,

(singing) "you'll be sorry!"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 02:12:51 AM
I am using Vista for now, but I think that I'll prefer XP simply because I am more used to it.  It'll be nice to be somewhat familiar when I finally upgrade to Vista in a year or two when it's finally working.  Like it or not, we'll all upgrade to it eventually.  These arguements are virtually identical to the ones that came out when XP was released.

I am still dealing with the seller, so until anything is finalized (at least) I'll be running Vista on the laptop.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 06:44:05 PM

Def

If you plan to run Vista on that laptop, I would suggest you turn off all the visual bells an whistles.  After working on several Vista laptops over the holidays, I wouldn't run it with less than 2GB of memory, and a dual-core processor is a big help.

I think I would take the money you're going to spend on memory and buy a copy of WinXP--especially since 2GB is the max available.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 07:52:52 PM
I actually have a spare legitimate copy of XP home I am thinking of installing on it.  I was saving it for my other desktop but I may end up running Vista or even Linux on it instead.

I'm still working with the seller to find out what we are doing before I do anything.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:19 PM
remember in the movie independence day where they were uploading a virus to infect the alien mother ship?
well it was "vista" they were uploading!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:43 PM
How bad is Vista? Bad, real bad.(MacMac) :D

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30