Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paladin PT-540

J-sews · 126 · 30953

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Paladin PT-540
on: December 24, 2007, 01:48:37 AM
It just arrived yesterday!! :cheers: Been salivating for one of these since they started showing up on the 'net earlier this year. Dang expensive though! >:(  Price is still up over $110 everywhere I looked.

PT-540:

Jeez-o-petes is this thing ever a whopper! Somehow I'd assumed it was built on the same frame as the PowerLock? But nope, she's a full half inch bigger at least. (Imagine the jump from PST to Super Tool. Now jump that much more!) :o 

Here it is alongside a PowerLock:

I haven't done anything with it yet except to play with it, and take these photos. Boy, there sure are a lot of intricate features! Wire stripper notches in the jaws, gear covers, cast metal blade lock releases, new handle-flapper stops, hex drives, etc. Whew, I may have to break down and actually look at the user's guide!  :P

But I digress. Here's a pic of the PT-540 alongside some tools previously considered to be "big".

Another couple angles of the police line-up: :police:

Okay, enough beauty shots, time for some real action. There's an electrical box downstairs that has just been begging for a 4-way outlet.... :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Paladin PT-540
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:56:41 AM
Bob, I have one of those coming too! Now I wish I did over-night shipping!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:08:33 AM
No wonder they are so pricey- that monstrosity has more steel than most modern cars!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 02:10:46 AM
Wow that thing looks cool.  Great pics!

[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:27:09 AM
I've been wanting one of those forever. But I've also been wanting a PPP, so I might just get the smaller Paladin, to save some money!
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 02:29:47 AM
LOL, yeah they are pretty expensive- I bought mine for like a 110 usd
B

Offline Carthas

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 02:41:28 AM
Wow tht thing is awesome. If I could get one of those in australia, I'd be ordering one right away.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 03:10:23 AM
And I thought the Powerlock was a hand filler,even for someone my size.I'm going to ask my daughter to check out the Menard's in her part of the world.
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 11:30:14 AM
Mate that thing looks awesome!  I love big tools (oi oi!  :D) and that thing looks huge.  :o  In fact everything that attracted my to the powerlock is here but looks even better.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 12:02:21 PM
that is niiice! who needs a tool box! and great pictures J-sews.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 12:13:18 PM
How much (more or less) is the cost of Paladin? I'm just curious. I may be able to buy that in the near future.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 12:16:13 PM
If you are comparing to the powerlock, Tim sells them for just under $70 I think which is quite a bit less than the Paladin.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 02:36:12 PM
Blimey, that really is one big tool aint it :o I remember saying to Dunc that I didn't like the Free hand because it was just that little bit too big for belt carry, well next to that it makes the free hand look like an MP400 :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 02:38:35 PM
Here's a picture of Bob with the PT-540 in it's handy sheath:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 02:40:18 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
:D Probably not that wide of the mark :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 05:01:49 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

That blue thing on top is the hex bit adapter! :P

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Mike D

Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 05:15:56 PM
Very nice indeed! I too have been wanting one of those for quite some time. I'm kinda surprised at the massive size of the thing. Now its got me wondering if SOG is basing the yet to be released Powerassist on the "smaller" Powerlock frame or this larger Paladin one???

Offline joebw

Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:29:31 PM
Hi Bob,

This is a great addition to your collection.  I got one some time ago and found it fascinating (and darn big). 

Merry Christmas to all.

Joe :multi:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 12:29:28 AM
With all the holiday duties going on there hasn't been any opportunities to put the PT-540 to work. In the mean time I've been comparing it to a regular PowerLock. Lots of improvements, some obvious, some subtle. Here's two:

I'm not a real big fan of the SOG "flappers" - those grip protectors that are on the PowerLock handles. The PT-540 has them too of course, but they are much improved. The metal is formed into shape more crisply, there are detents that hold the flappers closed more securely, and there are little stop-tabs stamped out of the handle metal that prevent the flappers from being bent in too far. All worthwhile improvements! :)

Blade locks are made from cast metal instead of stamped. They now ride "inboard" on the handles, instead of hanging over the sides.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 07:49:43 AM
Somehow I'd assumed it was built on the same frame as the PowerLock? But nope, she's a full half inch bigger at least.

The PT-525 is based on the PowerLock but the PT-540 is another breed.  Here's a link to an old topic with a photo of the PT-540 next to the PT-525: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,802.0.html  (comparison photo is on page two)

And here's an excerpt from that post:
Here's a photo of the PT-540 and the PT-525 side by side.

Whoa! I didn't realize the 540 was so much bigger than the 525! That thing must be approaching the Surge in the size and weight catagory.

Like Mike D, I've also wondered whether the PowerAssist (see photo below) will be based on the PowerLock or a larger frame like the PT-540.  The pliers on the PowerLock 2.0 are nearly identical to the pliers on the PT-525.

I've had my PT-540 for about a year now and I'm happy with it overall.  Here are a couple of quibbles:  1.  The wire cutter isn't as good as the wire cutter on the PT-525.  2. The cast lock releases are prone to rust (I recommend putting a light coat of RenWax on them to prevent rust).  3.  The hex wrenches on the handles require a lot of clearance.  4.  The hex wrenches stick out from the handles so the handle isn't as comfortable to grip when using the internal tools (in comparison to the PT-525 and the SOG PowerLock). 

* SOG S66 Closed.jpg (Filesize: 72.48 KB)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:55:40 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 02:44:42 AM
Yep, all is not wonderful with the PT-540.  :-\

One thing that I found disappointing is the blades and tools. Despite having LOTS more room in those oversized handles, the blades are all standard SOG length. The knife blade, the file, the saw blade: each one of them should be about 1/2" longer than they are.

What's the sense of having longer handles if the blades inside them are all standard length?

* Camera Download 001.jpg (Filesize: 93.79 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 02:48:04 AM
The ability to use off the shelf parts?

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:39 AM
The ability to use off the shelf parts?

Def

The PT-540 will accept any of the off-the-shelf SOG implements.

But its so BIIIIGGG!! It just seems like they should have put some bigger-than-standard tools in it. Y'know, like screwdrivers with extra long reach. Or a saw blade with an extra half-inch of stroke. Important things all.

Offline Mike D

Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 06:50:34 AM
Good reports on the PT 540, thanks!

I too wish they would do away with the flappers completely, why not just go Swisstool like and put all of the tools on the outside of the handles where they should be so you don't have to open the plier to access them. It looks like from the picture of the Powerassist that half the tool is going to be like this anyway, so come on SOG just make both handles the same and ditch the flappers once and for all. AND, if I'm going to wish for things why not take the whole powerassist idea one step further by putting not just one blade, but two blades (one straight and one serrated) on the outside position of the handles with thumbstuds and powerassist, and on the other handle rig up a very long bladed saw and some big usable scissors with the same setup?? Sound good? Does to me...I would love to be able to just flick open my most used tools :drink:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 07:11:01 AM
I don't like multitools with flappers. Can the flappers of SOG MTs be easily remove?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 07:12:28 AM
not just one blade, but two blades (one straight and one serrated) on the outside position of the handles with thumbstuds and powerassist, and on the other handle rig up a very long bladed saw and some big usable scissors with the same setup??

Like a Surge you mean?  ::)

Does SOG make special run designs for any other companies?
I don't have a lot of use for electrical tools.

Except maybe crimpers and wire strippers, for 12v stuff, and I suppose I could use a drywall cutter once in a while, and maybe I'd use those Punchdown blades more often if I knew what they were :think:

REGARDLESS, the question stands.

In other issues - I've never had flappers. They seem somewhat inconvenient for the hasty gentleman, (as do inside opening blades) - still, all that "used by the military, Yay!" advertising is getting to me...maybe I need one?

(I've yet to see anyone on a .mil site mention them though, they seem to spend more time talking about the most comfortable boots, and whether or not moustaches should be allowed)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:16:51 AM by Nomad »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:16 AM
I don't like multitools with flappers. Can the flappers of SOG MTs be easily remove?

The covers are easy to remove and replace without any tools.  They just snap into place.  But without the covers, the pliers will have the same ergonomic flaw as the old Leatherman tools.  The predecessors to the PowerLock, the Power Plier (e.g. T52 and T65), lacked the covers.  The Power Plier is in the middle of the photo. 

It was also available in stainless if gold isn't your style.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:55:27 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 07:52:56 AM
...I've yet to see anyone on a .mil site mention them though, they seem to spend more time talking about the most comfortable boots, and whether or not moustaches should be allowed...

Are you going to keep us in suspense?  What are the most comfortable boots?  :pok:

Offline Mike D

Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 04:09:22 PM
not just one blade, but two blades (one straight and one serrated) on the outside position of the handles with thumbstuds and powerassist, and on the other handle rig up a very long bladed saw and some big usable scissors with the same setup??

Like a Surge you mean?  ::)

Well yes and no. All the tools accessible without opening the pliers, with the blades, scissors and saw all being powerassisted.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 04:43:17 AM

Well yes and no. All the tools accessible without opening the pliers, with the blades, scissors and saw all being powerassisted.

Seems like one flaw in the PowerAssist is that there are only two blades in the one entire handle.  :(

Must be the powerassist mechanism takes up a lot of space?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%