Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paladin PT-540

J-sews · 126 · 31134

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Paladin PT-540
Reply #90 on: February 01, 2015, 04:10:31 AM
Nice Mary!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: February 01, 2015, 08:49:33 AM

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #92 on: February 01, 2015, 08:39:43 PM
Well, I don't have the money to buy one, I did find a few of them for sale at overstocked for $115.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:23 PM
Well, I don't have the money to buy one, I did find a few of them for sale at overstocked for $115.

Nate

Got room for me in that boat?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:17 PM
I don't have money for this either. I've had this for several years.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: February 01, 2015, 09:24:27 PM
I don't have money for this either. I've had this for several years.

Surely it is too big for the snow ninja and needs to be sent to lobster boy.  :P

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #96 on: June 26, 2016, 02:05:19 AM
The PT-540 I purchased this week arrived today. My first SOG multi (third if considering the PowerLock and PowerAssist I returned to Costco for poor quality a few years back).

Its picture from eBay

Except for the missing handle covers and the broken file, there is very little evident that other components were used. I really like the reinforced hex divers on the handle. I wish Leatherman have the same feature on the Super Tool series.

Anyway, a question for SOG gurus on MTO: Do cover handles and file sold on SOG website fit this tool? Do the PT-540 and PT-525 use the same handle covers?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #97 on: June 26, 2016, 03:44:44 AM
The PT540 is larger than the 525, and the PowerLock, and is warrantied through Paladin (and only for a year!), not SOG. Im pretty sure the file is just a standard SOG file with flathead end, which are available for purchase from the SOG website.

The handle covers are another matter. I have no clue if they are the same ones on the PowerLock, but if they are, SOG's warranty department will send you a set for free, if you ask nicely. They are great in that regard. Just ask them for a set of PowerLock 2.0 covers, and they will take care of you.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #98 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:12 AM
The PT540 is larger than the 525, and the PowerLock, and is warrantied through Paladin (and only for a year!), not SOG. Im pretty sure the file is just a standard SOG file with flathead end, which are available for purchase from the SOG website.

The handle covers are another matter. I have no clue if they are the same ones on the PowerLock, but if they are, SOG's warranty department will send you a set for free, if you ask nicely. They are great in that regard. Just ask them for a set of PowerLock 2.0 covers, and they will take care of you.
Thank you for chipping in. I look at the product brochures and online pictures, and find the covers on the 540 and 525 to be different. The 540 covers may have detents to keep them from flapping (notice 2 holes on each side of the handles). I can only find part #6509, which seems to be of the 525. The question is whether this 525 cover or the PowerLock 2.0 covers will fit securely on the 540.

I honestly do not like the cover design on SOG multis. However, in this case, I would like to bring this tool back to its original condition. Furthermore, the implements are a little loose inside the channels. I will try to tighten them up a bit to see if it helps.

BTW, are you looking for a PT-540? What was the MSRP of this thing?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: June 26, 2016, 05:28:54 AM

Thank you for chipping in. I look at the product brochures and online pictures, and find the covers on the 540 and 525 to be different. The 540 covers may have detents to keep them from flapping (notice 2 holes on each side of the handles). I can only find part #6509, which seems to be of the 525. The question is whether this 525 cover or the PowerLock 2.0 covers will fit securely on the 540.

I honestly do not like the cover design on SOG multis. However, in this case, I would like to bring this tool back to its original condition. Furthermore, the implements are a little loose inside the channels. I will try to tighten them up a bit to see if it helps.

BTW, are you looking for a PT-540? What was the MSRP of this thing?
nope, not looking for a PT540, I just like em. According to this post here:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=1693.0 the PT-540 could be found for as little as $110 in some places. Overstock.com lists a price of $126.49, although they are obviously out of stock.

The PowerLock 2.0 covers also have those  divots at both ends to keep the covers on.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #100 on: June 26, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
I just had a look at my Powerlock v1 ( I don't have a 2.0), PT-525 and PT-540.  The PT-540 is 2mm wider in the body than my PL 1.0 and PT-525 so I think only the PT-540 covers will work on a PT-540.

I haven't seen any retailers selling new PT-540s for a couple of years now.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #101 on: June 26, 2016, 04:19:00 PM
I just had a look at my Powerlock v1 ( I don't have a 2.0), PT-525 and PT-540.  The PT-540 is 2mm wider in the body than my PL 1.0 and PT-525 so I think only the PT-540 covers will work on a PT-540.

Do you have a PowerAssist to check? The PA seems to have the same cover style on the handle with 6 components.
I got the idea from this post: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/528770-New-PT540-(expanded-PowerLock)?s=83164b5091aa6b0052066af7f4e32626&p=5279815#post5279815

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: June 26, 2016, 08:44:41 PM

Do you have a PowerAssist to check? The PA seems to have the same cover style on the handle with 6 components.
I got the idea from this post: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/528770-New-PT540-(expanded-PowerLock)?s=83164b5091aa6b0052066af7f4e32626&p=5279815#post5279815
Wow I dont know how I didn't realize the PowerLock 2.0 and PowetAssist have different handle covers. Sadly,I dont have a powerLock or Paladin to compare my PowerAssist.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #103 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:55 AM
.... Sadly,I dont have a powerLock or Paladin to compare my PowerAssist.

And I don't have a PowerAssist to compare with my PL or Paladins. 

If it helps the PT-540 covers are 75mm long and measure 17-17.1mm on the inside (the PT-540 handles are around 16.8-16.9mm wide).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #104 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:00 AM
How I wish you two, sLaughterMed and gregozedobe, neighbors  :cheers: Using a cheap pair of calipers to measure the PT-540 handles:
.67" (17.0mm) wide - 2.69" (68.3mm) spacing between two holes .1" (2.5mm) diameter for pivot hole toward the pliers, and .08" (2.0mm) diameter on the other hole.

sLaughterMed- any chance you can measure the thickness and hole spacing on the PowerAssist as wel as its cover?

Thanks for your help, gents.   

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: June 27, 2016, 04:12:21 AM
How I wish you two, sLaughterMed and gregozedobe, neighbors  :cheers: Using a cheap pair of calipers to measure the PT-540 handles:
.67" (17.0mm) wide - 2.69" (68.3mm) spacing between two holes .1" (2.5mm) diameter for pivot hole toward the pliers, and .08" (2.0mm) diameter on the other hole.

sLaughterMed- any chance you can measure the thickness and hole spacing on the PowerAssist as wel as its cover?

Thanks for your help, gents.
Ill do my best when my son goes to bed :salute:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #106 on: July 12, 2016, 12:47:20 AM
I just recently learnt about some awesomeness of SOG customer serivce including free knife clip replacement, free knife sharpening... My SOG Escape folder lost its clip, so I emailed SOG for the first time yesterday. While at it, I sent another email to their customer service about my cover-less PT-540, and asked if the PowerAssist covers would fit, and how I would be able to obtain them. I received 2 emails today, one for the clip and other for the covers. SOG would send one clip and two PA covers to me. They even noted that the covers would fit, but I might have to bend them a bit for a proper fit.

Wow, that is really awesome how fast they responded and took care of my situations  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:49:24 AM by chrono »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: July 12, 2016, 03:25:53 AM
I just recently learnt about some awesomeness of SOG customer serivce including free knife clip replacement, free knife sharpening... My SOG Escape folder lost its clip, so I emailed SOG for the first time yesterday. While at it, I sent another email to their customer service about my cover-less PT-540, and asked if the PowerAssist covers would fit, and how I would be able to obtain them. I received 2 emails today, one for the clip and other for the covers. SOG would send one clip and two PA covers to me. They even noted that the covers would fit, but I might have to bend them a bit for a proper fit.

Wow, that is really awesome how fast they responded and took care of my situations  :tu:
Good to know that the PowerAssist covers work for the PT540

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #108 on: July 12, 2016, 04:35:30 PM
Also really good CS from the sounds of it as well :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #109 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:00 PM
I received the covers from SOG. They mistakenly sent me the PowerLock covers instead of the PowerAssist  :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: The spacing inside the cover channel is thinner than the handle thickness by about the thickness of the sheet metal the handles are made of. So, I cannot do any bending for the covers to fit, as their two edges will just flare out. Furthermore, the pliers are long, and do not go pass the covers' cutouts either. So, to adapt a SOG multi's covers on the PT-540, the cover channels must accept the PT's thickness, as well as the long pliers' noses. I think the PowerAssist covers may fit (based on the amount of tool load, and their looks), but I still have to deal with modifying the cutouts. Only someone with both PowerAssist and PT-540 at hand can confirm this.

As this point, I will keep the tool as-is. :-\

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: July 19, 2016, 10:38:12 PM
Bummer   :facepalm:

See if they would send the right ones.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #111 on: July 20, 2016, 12:04:29 AM
Bummer   :facepalm:

See if they would send the right ones.
I did ask for the PowerAssist covers, but the customer service replied by saying they did not have an exact match for the PT-540 (duh!), and I had to bend to make them fit. I think the agent did not really looked into the drawings for dimensions, or the employees picking up covers for me could not tell the difference between the PL and PA cover looks and sizes.

Either way, SOG already went extra mile on this issue, as they are not responsible for this tool's warranty. I do not want to pester them and let it go.

(Or maybe I should tell them I have over $1,500 worth of SOG knives, so they can be a lil' nicer?  :D )

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: July 20, 2016, 12:14:39 AM
You never know, it's worth asking. Just explain that while you appreciate it, they sent the wrong covers and could they send the right ones.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #113 on: July 20, 2016, 12:27:16 AM
You never know, it's worth asking. Just explain that while you appreciate it, they sent the wrong covers and could they send the right ones.
I guess I will give another shot.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: July 20, 2016, 12:28:18 AM
I guess I will give another shot

Good luck   :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #115 on: July 20, 2016, 03:02:31 PM
Maybe include some pics in your email, that's get them going.  :tu:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #116 on: July 20, 2016, 08:07:02 PM
Maybe include some pics in your email, that's get them going.  :tu:

I sent pictures twice, and explained 3 times. Maybe the gentleman read too fast and did not see the difference between PowerAssist and PowerLock. Anyway, I was told a set of PA handle covers are requested for me. Cross my fingers that the picker will not mess up this time. 

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #117 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:08 AM
Well, a packet from SOG arrived today. And you can guess, they sent me another set of PowerLock S62 handle covers  :poh: This make me think they do not have PowerAssist handle covers at hand as spares, as they are not being offered as accessories on the website.

I give up.

(Still, SOG customer service is awesome! I would say they are better than Leatherman in term of human interaction)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #118 on: July 26, 2016, 12:05:54 AM

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #119 on: July 26, 2016, 03:39:34 AM
Is this what you are needing ?

http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/powerassist-handle-cover.html

(Image removed from quote.)

Wait... yeah, that's what I "may" need. How I did not find it or think of finding it on their website  ??? I guess, because it started with my inquiry as weather the PA covers would fit the PT-540, and the CS rep went ahead and sent me a pair of PL covers, and thing went from there...

I will just buy the covers from them, instead of pestering thr rep again. Hopefully, they will pick the right parts this time.  :P

Thanks, Steve.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD