Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of cooking oil do you use?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: What kind of cooking oil do you use?
Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:40 PM

I never use Olive Oil to cook as it has a low smoke point and I have read if you bring any oil to its smoke point it is bad for your health. Not sure if this is 100% true though.

If you plan to deep fry then there are better oils.  I rarely if ever deep fry so EV Olive Oil is my go to for most of my cooking.  Good to hear you are looking at better health as every little bit helps.
I never deep fry.  I love it for frying in a pan, and I don't find the taste overbearing. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:53 PM
I always hear tv-chefs say not to use Extra Vergine for cooking, as it gets bitter if you warm it, or something like that...

Besides that, I mostly use whatever we have, but usually that's normal (non-extra vergine) olive oil.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 10:05:45 PM
I always hear tv-chefs say not to use Extra Vergine for cooking, as it gets bitter if you warm it, or something like that...

Besides that, I mostly use whatever we have, but usually that's normal (non-extra vergine) olive oil.

What they are referring to is the smoke point of the oil. If the oil reaches that point is becomes toxic.  :o
I'm the milk man!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 10:17:02 PM

What they are referring to is the smoke point of the oil. If the oil reaches that point is becomes toxic.  :o

Never heard them say toxic, that's a first I heard in this thread :P

But, could still very well be that it gets less ideal for taste reasons at lower temps,  I'd think.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:10 PM

But, could still very well be that it gets less ideal for taste reasons at lower temps,  I'd think.
Oils can get toxic at temperatures above 200°C (They form acryl-amides), thats why most oils are rated for 180°C.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 12:11:37 AM

Oils can get toxic at temperatures above 200°C (They form acryl-amides), thats why most oils are rated for 180°C.

Yea, what he said.  :D

I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75