Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #150 on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:42 PM
After using a safety razor for a little while i had a custom scuttle made buy roberts feats of clay, must say, keeps a nice and hot lather! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:41 AM
I have been wanting to get a Shavette for a while now to start learning the straight razor. I will pick one up once I get some expendable funds.

Well I've just had another go with the shavette and it went better than before.  Still a little rougher than my normal safety razor (slight razor burn) but also a bit closer I think, I guess I just need a bit more practice. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #152 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:13 PM
Good for you! :D Welcome to a more manlier world! :P

Do you know what type of brush you got? I would recommend that you get a badger brush since it’s far superior than a bristle brush or a man made synthetic one.

Second is the blades, you can get a sample pack from most of the online dealers but I would recommend going straight for the blades made by the Japanese company Feather, they are considered to be the best blades on the market and I have found out that it’s true.

Third is finding a shaving soap or cream. I prefer a shaving cream over a soap since I find it much easier and faster to make a lather. But I have found out that on some creams that comes in a tub the cream have a tendency to become rather “compact” making it worse to spread the cream out in the bowl, a member of badger and blade gave it the name “the turd hunt”. So I like creams that come in a tube rather than a tub. A cheap but good cream is the one from Proraso/Omega (they are made by the same company but the Omega cream contains lanoline while Proraso don’t) and gives you good value for your money. A really good cream that smells really good and performs great is the Sandalwood shaving cream from Truefitt & Hill, but it’s more pricey than the Proraso/Omega creams.

Fourth is finding out if you want some pre-shave or aftershave products. I can’t really say that using a pre-shave cream/oil will make a huge difference for the shave but I do like to use it. A aftershave cream is a must for me and I would recommend that you also get one. My shaving routine is use pre-shave cream/oil, Proraso have a really good pre-shave cream I use when I shave with the Proraso shaving cream while I use Truefitt & Hill’s pre-shave oil when using their cream. After shaving I rinse my face in cold water to close my pores, then I use a aftershave and after a minute I use a aftershave cream.

A good online store that I can highly recommend is the UK based Shaving Shack http://www.shaving-shack.com/ use the coupon code USVAT2012 so they will deduct the VAT when shipping outside the EU.

Hopes this helps and good luck with the shaving

Give me your addy and I will help you out in the shaving cream department.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #153 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:17 PM
Is anyone familiar with a Rolls Razor?  My grandmother found one somewhere and thought I'd like to add it to the collection.  It comes in a metal case that includes a sharpening stone and a leather strop, along with a roller mechanism that allows the blade to be sharpened.  Very cool, looks like it's from the 1920's from what I can find online, made in Sheffield.  I'll post pics later, not home at the moment.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #154 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:26 AM
Good for you! :D Welcome to a more manlier world! :P

Do you know what type of brush you got? I would recommend that you get a badger brush since it’s far superior than a bristle brush or a man made synthetic one.

Second is the blades, you can get a sample pack from most of the online dealers but I would recommend going straight for the blades made by the Japanese company Feather, they are considered to be the best blades on the market and I have found out that it’s true.

Third is finding a shaving soap or cream. I prefer a shaving cream over a soap since I find it much easier and faster to make a lather. But I have found out that on some creams that comes in a tub the cream have a tendency to become rather “compact” making it worse to spread the cream out in the bowl, a member of badger and blade gave it the name “the turd hunt”. So I like creams that come in a tube rather than a tub. A cheap but good cream is the one from Proraso/Omega (they are made by the same company but the Omega cream contains lanoline while Proraso don’t) and gives you good value for your money. A really good cream that smells really good and performs great is the Sandalwood shaving cream from Truefitt & Hill, but it’s more pricey than the Proraso/Omega creams.

Fourth is finding out if you want some pre-shave or aftershave products. I can’t really say that using a pre-shave cream/oil will make a huge difference for the shave but I do like to use it. A aftershave cream is a must for me and I would recommend that you also get one. My shaving routine is use pre-shave cream/oil, Proraso have a really good pre-shave cream I use when I shave with the Proraso shaving cream while I use Truefitt & Hill’s pre-shave oil when using their cream. After shaving I rinse my face in cold water to close my pores, then I use a aftershave and after a minute I use a aftershave cream.

A good online store that I can highly recommend is the UK based Shaving Shack http://www.shaving-shack.com/ use the coupon code USVAT2012 so they will deduct the VAT when shipping outside the EU.

Hopes this helps and good luck with the shaving

Give me your addy and I will help you out in the shaving cream department.

YGPM :tu:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #155 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:07 AM
Is anyone familiar with a Rolls Razor?  My grandmother found one somewhere and thought I'd like to add it to the collection.  It comes in a metal case that includes a sharpening stone and a leather strop, along with a roller mechanism that allows the blade to be sharpened.  Very cool, looks like it's from the 1920's from what I can find online, made in Sheffield.  I'll post pics later, not home at the moment.

I have one, but don't have the courage to try using it  :P I bought a collection of old shaving goodies a few months back, but they've just sat in a box waiting for me to get time to do anything with them  :(

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #156 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:51 PM

I have one, but don't have the courage to try using it  :P

I kinda figured that if anyone had one, it would be you, Al  :) .  You're not brave enough to use it, eh?  Neither am I.  It looks like some bizarre Edwardian masculinity test  :o .  "If you're man enough to ushave with this, you too can run an empire....." :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #157 on: March 05, 2012, 07:35:13 PM
After actually doing some research on the Rolls Razor I am quite intrigued.   :think:  More videos to watch and reading to do.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #158 on: March 05, 2012, 10:05:16 PM

I have one, but don't have the courage to try using it  :P

I kinda figured that if anyone had one, it would be you, Al  :) .  You're not brave enough to use it, eh?  Neither am I.  It looks like some bizarre Edwardian masculinity test  :o .  "If you're man enough to ushave with this, you too can run an empire....." :)

The paperwork with the Rolls Razor says Cricklewood, London but with Sheffield steel for the blade. I don't know what was made where though. Piccies?

The SHeffield equivalent was the far less common Darwin Razor. Similar means of operation overall, but no honing stone this time - just the strop - and instead of the handle within stropping the blade, the carriage moved in a drawer action

The Wilkinson Sword Empire Model gets extra points for fear factor - thuis really does look like a torture implement. Unfortunately I have no strop for this auto-stropping model  :(

The Rally Dry Shaver is interesting. Another item from London, it's basically a manual "foil" shaver ... and very small

For some perspectyive, here it is next to a 91mm Yeoman

Final piccy is something I really would be letting the side down with if I didn't have one  :P ...

... a Sheffield made open razor. This one is made by Edgar Allen & Co

Needless to say, none of these items have made it to my face, although to be honest they were not received "shave ready", and would all need a fair bit of TLC to get them anywhere near what they should be
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:09:59 PM by 50ft-trad »

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #159 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:56 PM
Damned those are nice! I say don't use it, they are way to nice to be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #160 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:10 PM
Very nice, Al!  I'll have to get pics up tonight, I'm still at work.  My Rolls has the same design to the case.  Does yours have markings etched into the blade with an electric pencil or similiar?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #161 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:48 PM
Damned those are nice! I say don't use it, they are way to nice to be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Kenneth, I fully intend giving them a good fettle at some point and get everything back in full working order, but I don't think they'll see use - I'm quite happy with a cheapo DE

Very nice, Al!  I'll have to get pics up tonight, I'm still at work.  My Rolls has the same design to the case.  Does yours have markings etched into the blade with an electric pencil or similiar?

Cheers Tom. Yeah, the vibro-etching is almost identical on the Darwin blade too

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #162 on: March 06, 2012, 12:43:32 AM
Here are a couple pics of my Rolls.  This thing is pretty neat!  There is a 1927 date on the case, I'm not sure if that's the mfg date or not.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: March 06, 2012, 01:14:31 AM
Very nice mate  :tu: That looks mint!
Mine is stamped H001979 which I think is just a serial number. I have an older one which is pretty wrecked and is missing the actual razor stem/handle, and that is stamped A543005

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #164 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:53 PM
Man, I just don't know if I could use a straight razor.  I'd be too afraid of cutting myself up!

I would like to find a safe, cheaper alternative to my Mach 3, but since I shave my head daily it has to be consistent.  I would be too worried using a safety razor on my dome.  I think the Head razor may fit the bill, I need to do some research on it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #165 on: March 06, 2012, 11:42:52 PM
Man, I just don't know if I could use a straight razor.  I'd be too afraid of cutting myself up!

I would like to find a safe, cheaper alternative to my Mach 3, but since I shave my head daily it has to be consistent.  I would be too worried using a safety razor on my dome.  I think the Head razor may fit the bill, I need to do some research on it.

If I were to shave my head with a razor I would assume I would stick with my Mach 3. Switch to the Safety Razor for the face. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure people were shaving there heads with safety razors long ago, but in those times a stop at your Barber was a daily occurrence and I assume someone else would be shaving your head.   
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #166 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:50 AM
That's a safe assumption.  How much does a decent safety razor cost?  I know you guys have probably mentioned it here but I haven't really been paying attention.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:27 AM
That's a safe assumption.  How much does a decent safety razor cost?  I know you guys have probably mentioned it here but I haven't really been paying attention.

If you are willing to spend around $45 dollars you will get a very good safety razor.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor_p_31.html

I LOVE!!!!!!! this razor. I prefer the shorter fatter handle, which this one has. It is very well made and shaves like a dream. Everyone has there own preferences, but I use this razor more than any other that I own.

This website was suggested to me by a member here (can't remember who) and I have ordered a bunch of shaving supplies from them. If you are going to get into Safety Razors I would suggest getting a Sample Pack of razors to find what works best in your particular razor and on your face.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

You can usually find promo codes to use at Westcoastshaving.com as they are associated in one way or another with a shaving forum. Try "BandB" or Google promo codes for there site if you decide to order anything.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:41:12 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #168 on: March 07, 2012, 02:28:59 AM
Thanks for the links! 

I don't know that I can spend that right now on shaving supplies, it will have to wait until some home projects are finished. 

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
Thanks for the links! 

I don't know that I can spend that right now on shaving supplies, it will have to wait until some home projects are finished. 

You can also snoop around E-bay and find some original Gillette DE razors for around $20 or maybe a bit less. All most of them need is a good scrubbing and they work as good as new.
Even your razor needs some good TLC :tu:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
Reply #170 on: March 07, 2012, 06:32:09 PM
This belongs here.

The New "Gillette Force"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:33:54 PM by Threeme2189 »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #171 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:56 PM
This belongs here.

(Image removed from quote.)
The New "Gillette Force"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I rather shave with a rusty knife, it would probably be safer.  :D That's just awesome though.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #172 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:33 AM
That is awesome.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #173 on: March 10, 2012, 12:34:02 AM
Well I have been "experimenting" with different facial hair styles and i'm thinking a Door Knocker is the winner.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #174 on: March 10, 2012, 12:43:12 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!   :pok:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #175 on: March 10, 2012, 02:51:43 AM

I don't put pictures of my face on the net.  ;)  It needs to fill in a bit more then I will try and take a close up just for you.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #176 on: March 10, 2012, 04:03:27 AM

I don't put pictures of my face on the net.  ;)  It needs to fill in a bit more then I will try and take a close up just for you.  :D

:salute:

I guess you learned from Grant's wonderful candids huh?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #177 on: March 10, 2012, 04:09:11 AM

:salute:

I guess you learned from Grant's wonderful candids huh?

:rofl:   Exactly.
I'm the milk man!

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: March 10, 2012, 04:28:30 PM
Yesterday I got home to find a few things waiting for me in the mail.
10 Feather DE blades, 5 Dorco Blades and a black handle Gillette Superspeed in excellent condition.

I also went to my grandmothers house and found my grandpas old razor.
After a bit of digging I found out that it's a Slim Twist that was made in England. The handle used to be white, but over the years it has yellowed quite a bit.
Even straight bleach couldn't get it back to white!

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: March 10, 2012, 04:30:04 PM

Wait, you mean that isn't you in your avatar?  :think:

::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%