Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:57 PM
Did any of you see the "The 1900 House" show? I was reminded how the father couldn't get the hang of the straight razor, and the historian told him that most professional gentlemen from the era would stop at the barber daily for their shave. He was so happy after that.

That was a good series, except for them picking a family with a mother who was a vegetarian and hated the idea of household servants. Really took away from the authenticity...
Was that the British one where the husband was in the military?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:55 PM
Did any of you see the "The 1900 House" show? I was reminded how the father couldn't get the hang of the straight razor, and the historian told him that most professional gentlemen from the era would stop at the barber daily for their shave. He was so happy after that.

That was a good series, except for them picking a family with a mother who was a vegetarian and hated the idea of household servants. Really took away from the authenticity...

Yea that was the one. He was really struggling with keeping shaved for his position (although it seemed that his Commander was giving him quite a bit of leeway on it). That's when the historian did some research and realized that there used to be a barber shop in every neighborhood.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 07:40:51 PM
It's all Kenneths fault!! I've just ordered one of those shavette jobbies and an alum block. Luckily I've recently got some superglue off Neil through EDCSource so I can reattach anything that falls off.

Ironic that the Medic is the one who is instigating self administered facial lacerations really  :think:

Wow! And all I did was post a few links. You are easy to persuade my friend. Now go and buy me a Leatherman MUT as a Christmas gift :P

:D

To be honest I've been teetering on the brink for a long time till you tipped me over the edge  :pok:

I bought a cheapo stainless one years ago, but chickened out decided that stainless might not hold a proper aligned edge adequately enough. I almost took the plunge on a proper carbon steel one a couple of times but chickened out decided that my honing and stropping sklills might not be up to getting a good enough edge to shave safely with it.

You robbed me of my final excuse  :twak: :twak: ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 07:42:55 PM

Yea that was the one. He was really struggling with keeping shaved for his position (although it seemed that his Commander was giving him quite a bit of leeway on it). That's when the historian did some research and realized that there used to be a barber shop in every neighborhood.
Thought so and I do remember the slightly annoying wife.  I'll be the first to admit the woman's lot at the time was less than appealing, but I don't suppose she went into it without being warned it would be hard.  I also felt sorry for the maid; got hired, wife felt bad about having a servant, so the servant gets fired and booted off the program. ::)  What the wife seems to have missed was that she had effectively thrown the girl into the poor house (if it was really 1900 that is). 

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:16 PM
Thought so and I do remember the slightly annoying wife.  I'll be the first to admit the woman's lot at the time was less than appealing, but I don't suppose she went into it without being warned it would be hard. 

Her complaining didn't bother me, what I would have liked to see is her come around to the way of life (at least a little). She just could not get into the spirit of the experience, her attitude ruined the whole thing for me.

I also felt sorry for the maid; got hired, wife felt bad about having a servant, so the servant gets fired and booted off the program. ::)  What the wife seems to have missed was that she had effectively thrown the girl into the poor house (if it was really 1900 that is).

The other part of it was how hurt the maid was in real life. Housekeeping was her career of choice, and the woman made her feel as if her job was second class and demeaning. That girl was really ticked off when she left.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 07:57:57 PM
Thought so and I do remember the slightly annoying wife.  I'll be the first to admit the woman's lot at the time was less than appealing, but I don't suppose she went into it without being warned it would be hard. 

Her complaining didn't bother me, what I would have liked to see is her come around to the way of life (at least a little). She just could not get into the spirit of the experience, her attitude ruined the whole thing for me.

I also felt sorry for the maid; got hired, wife felt bad about having a servant, so the servant gets fired and booted off the program. ::)  What the wife seems to have missed was that she had effectively thrown the girl into the poor house (if it was really 1900 that is).

The other part of it was how hurt the maid was in real life. Housekeeping was her career of choice, and the woman made her feel as if her job was second class and demeaning. That girl was really ticked off when she left.
Yeah, plus the fact she only got to be on TV for one week. ;)  In seriousness I totally agree, she was really quite upset IIRC.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #66 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:29 PM
Yeah, plus the fact she only got to be on TV for one week. ;)  In seriousness I totally agree, she was really quite upset IIRC.

I guess the whole thing bothered me so because of my mother and my sister-in-law. My mother was a housekeeper, and my brother married a girl who thought that no one should ever have to work subordinately for someone else, and that we should all live off of the soybeans we pick ourselves.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 12:59:28 AM
Alright I went and picked up a brush and some shaving soap form the local stores. I am going to order 2 entry level Safety Razors as well as a sample pack of DE blades and bowl for whipping up the shaving soap.   :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:25 AM
I don't think you'll regret it Captain. :)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:38 AM
I don't think you'll regret it Captain. :)

I hope not. It is going to cost me around $100 to get up and running on this and New-World is selling a Charge for $70.  :D  I have always wanted a Charge.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 02:42:45 AM
I always wanted to try a straight, just never got to doing so. But now I'm thinking of going to try a safety razor. does anyone know of a good brand to start off with? Nothing to exspencive, yet not a $10, only last a year one. Any sugjestions?  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 02:47:55 AM
Good ratings on this one (especially for a "first timer"):

Amazon - Parker 22R

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:10 AM
I'm new to the safety razor scene and have not even shaved with one yet, but here is a website I was directed to. Its worth a look.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com

I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 10:21:46 AM

Amazon - Parker 22R

That was my first razor and I wouldn't recommend it to someone that never have used a safety razor before since it's quite and aggressive razor. I used it only 6 times before I ordered the razor I have now and it 's only collecting dust right now. So if anybody want's it they can have it.

I would recommend going with a razor from Muhle or Mercur or an old Gillette razor since the quality is better than Parker and it shoulden't be a problem selling it if shaving with a safety razor is not for you.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:48 AM

Amazon - Parker 22R

That was my first razor and I wouldn't recommend it to someone that never have used a safety razor before since it's quite and aggressive razor. I used it only 6 times before I ordered the razor I have now and it 's only collecting dust right now. So if anybody want's it they can have it.

I would recommend going with a razor from Muhle or Mercur or an old Gillette razor since the quality is better than Parker and it shoulden't be a problem selling it if shaving with a safety razor is not for you.

Hey if your just giving it away I have a perfect place for it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Re: Re: Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 10:47:32 AM

Amazon - Parker 22R

Then send me your address and I will send it to you.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 02:35:18 PM

Amazon - Parker 22R

If your going to try it out, you gotta let me in on how you like it.. not necessarily the razor but how shaving with one is.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:37 PM
This guy is like a guru in the shaving world when it comes to making videos about wet shaving.
How To Shave With A Single-Blade Razor

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:09 PM

Amazon - Parker 22R

If your going to try it out, you gotta let me in on how you like it.. not necessarily the razor but how shaving with one is.. JR

I just ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday to get me up and running on the safety razor thing. I will definitely let you know how how it works out for me. I am expecting to get a few knicks when I first start as I am used to the flexible head on razors, but after the learning curve I think it will be good in the long run.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:12 PM
Just remember that you should only use minimal pressure when shaving and you need to get used to using a safety razor.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 09:03:25 PM
Just remember that you should only use minimal pressure when shaving and you need to get used to using a safety razor.

Yea I have been reading and watching a lot about shaving with a safety razor and one of the main things is using minimal pressure. Any other tips?
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:12 PM
I learned a lot from reading the shaving forum and watching Mantic59 on YouTube. But other than using minimal pressure it's also good if you shave right after you shower or use a pre-shave cream. You will not get a smooth as a baby bottoms shave with only one pas with the razor, at least I don't, so the norm is that you use 3 passes. First pas is with the grain, second pas across the grain and third pas against the grain. I don't go against the grain on my neck since I get a slight razor burn when I do so I rather go an extra pass across the grain and the result is the same minus the razor burn.

I would recommend that you use an aftershave balm or cream rather than aftershave that you splash on your face.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:38 PM
I learned a lot from reading the shaving forum and watching Mantic59 on YouTube. But other than using minimal pressure it's also good if you shave right after you shower or use a pre-shave cream. You will not get a smooth as a baby bottoms shave with only one pas with the razor, at least I don't, so the norm is that you use 3 passes. First pas is with the grain, second pas across the grain and third pas against the grain. I don't go against the grain on my neck since I get a slight razor burn when I do so I rather go an extra pass across the grain and the result is the same minus the razor burn.

I would recommend that you use an aftershave balm or cream rather than aftershave that you splash on your face.

I will check out his YouTube channel. I usually only do one pass with my normal razor and will most likely keep it that way as I get razor burn pretty bad on my neck if the blades are not very sharp. I might try going two passes if it is not to harsh for my neck. I have been thinking of switching to a balm or cream instead of a alcohol based aftershave like I use now. Thanks for all the great tips.  :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 10:17:47 PM
Ohhh, and after you are finished rinse your face in cold water so you can close the pores. But if you want to learn about shaving http://badgerandblade.com/ is the MTO of wet shaving :P

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:58 PM
Ohhh, and after you are finished rinse your face in cold water so you can close the pores. But if you want to learn about shaving http://badgerandblade.com/ is the MTO of wet shaving :P

I was thinking about that. I normally rinse my face with warm water first to get all the soap off than cold to close the pores followed by aftershave. Is this alright to do or should I go straight to cold? I have been reading through BadgerAndBlade for the last few days.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:15 PM
Don't think there is a wrong way to rinse your face, I like to just use cold water since I use Proraso shaving products that are mentholated and I really like how fresh my face feel :P

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:19 PM
Well I feel like a real man now. I just got done with my first Safety Razor shave.  :ahhh I did not cut myself once and my face is feeling nice and smooth. I also do not have any irritation. The only thing I had a issue with was whipping up a good lather. Given it was my first I did fairly decent. I just have a problem recognizing if I need more or less water. Like I said it was my first time whipping up a later and it was good enough to work so I am sure I will get the hang of it. Besides the lather I am very happy with the whole experience.  :salute: I think I need to buy a good brush now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:51:14 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: October 16, 2011, 12:43:13 AM
Feels good, doesn't it?  Congratulations. :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: October 16, 2011, 12:53:40 AM

Thank you. I have always said that the (NEW) shaving industry is all a scam. This one blade worked better than a 5 blade. They just slam new names on the same product and say it is the new model and better because it has mare blades. I am very happy I went the Safety Razor route.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: October 16, 2011, 03:13:34 AM

Thank you. I have always said that the (NEW) shaving industry is all a scam. This one blade worked better than a 5 blade. They just slam new names on the same product and say it is the new model and better because it has mare blades. I am very happy I went the Safety Razor route.  :tu:
Congrats, sooner or later i might get one, i hate all these new 3-4-5 blade razors, i even shave my head, but i use a special razor (Headblade)for that and i only use a two blade replacements, i can get safety blades out of just about any store, its just getting a razor.  JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%