Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #630 on: August 03, 2018, 01:51:45 PM
So, about two months ago I got a new shaving brush, a Semogue 1470.  I can say with confidence that I really like it so far. It's very nice and scrubby, but not scratchy at all (I assume that's what is meant by "scritch" in the shaving world?)

Since I have a full beard and only shave my neck, the smallish knot and loft work out very well. Any larger and I'd be lathering the beard. I also just really like the way it looks and the handle feels good in use. Heck, I even like the "sideshow Bob" look to the bloom ;)

I like it so much, I just ordered a backup :).  At $13.35 shipped from Portugal, it's hard to pass up!

Here are some pics of this morning's shave.

1st pic: I soak it while I shower in a little silver plated cup I got for $1 at an antique store.

2nd pic: Today's (and every day's) setup:
-Gillette triangle slot fat handle tech (courtesy of our very own Sazabi)
-Astra SP blade
-Pacific Shaving caffeinated shave cream
-And of course, the semogue 1470

3rd pic: Post shave on my little DIY rack.
The cool thing is everything in this picture was less than $35 total :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:53:51 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #631 on: August 03, 2018, 02:55:24 PM
Nice set up.  Really nice when you can find product that work without having to spend lots of money.  I do have a question,  is shaving with this type set up akin to smoking cigars or drinking whisky/bourbon?  Does that makes sense?  I think its interesting the brushes and razors, even those who shave with a straight razors.  I'm sure the shave is nicer vs disposable.  Something I'm missing?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #632 on: August 03, 2018, 03:01:48 PM
If done right, a traditional shave is a real pleasure.

Nice warm towel to soften the beard. Brush works up the lather and gives a little massage. Single edge razor or straight razor is much kinder to the skin (this whole double or triple razor trend is ridiculous).

I like a straight razor. The only catch there is that if the razor isn't well honed and stropped, it can be less comfortable. But once you get that down, it's a dream.  :tu:

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #633 on: August 03, 2018, 03:20:45 PM
Nice set up.  Really nice when you can find product that work without having to spend lots of money.  I do have a question,  is shaving with this type set up akin to smoking cigars or drinking whisky/bourbon?  Does that makes sense?  I think its interesting the brushes and razors, even those who shave with a straight razors.  I'm sure the shave is nicer vs disposable.  Something I'm missing?

By the comparison with cigars/bourbon do you mean something more like a hobby or pleasurable pursuit (something you can get lost in the esoteric aspects?) If so, I would say that it definitely can be, but not of necessity.

I've been shaving with an old school double edged safety razor for 4 years now. I initially bought a cheap van der hagen kit with a brush, some soap and a mug but quickly switched to a shave oil and no soap or brush. I shaved that way until early this year. Basically my goal was a quick, irritation free shave on the cheap and it delivered in spades. My switch from the oil to a cream was mainly due to the company changing the oil formulation and it no longer worked as well. Even using a brush, with the cream my shave is quick, irritation free and even cheaper.

Now, it is very possible to turn it into a hobby (or money pit, I'm not convinced there's much difference ;)) and get hard-core into razors, blades, soap, brushes, pre-shave oils, aftershaves and routine. You can go the full-on hot towel, steamy rich lather from a scuttle using a $250 silver tip badger brush and a $200 stainless razor.

I'm personally more minimalist and just want something that works.  My current setup does that and it feels nice and when compared to the dark old days when I used an electric razor, it's downright luxurious!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:22:45 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #634 on: August 03, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
If done right, a traditional shave is a real pleasure.

Nice warm towel to soften the beard. Brush works up the lather and gives a little massage. Single edge razor or straight razor is much kinder to the skin (this whole double or triple razor trend is ridiculous).

I like a straight razor. The only catch there is that if the razor isn't well honed and stropped, it can be less comfortable. But once you get that down, it's a dream.  :tu:

I've never yet had a straight razor shave. I'd love to get one from an experienced barber, but  since I'm cheap and only shave my neck, I don't think it's really worth it for me.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #635 on: August 03, 2018, 03:25:05 PM
Same here.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #636 on: August 03, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
I learned to use a 'cutthroat' by practicing on myself.  :o

Not always pretty.  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #637 on: August 03, 2018, 03:41:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Gmob.  Yes you got exactly what I was wondering.  I'm sure the shaving experience as Nix mentions ( thankd for you reply too ) is wonderful.  It certainly has got to be vs the triple and quadruple disposable route.  I'm much like you in that I only really shave my neck and tidy the upper part.  I do shave my dome now and man those disposables regardless of care and attention can make my ugly mug look like I was shaved by Edward Scissor Hands. 

I bought a nice safety razor at the flea market.  It was unused and seemed to operate flawlessly.  In my move I somehow lost it.  I think I'll pick one up again and give it a go.  I'm pretty much a simple "wash and wear" guy so I'd like to stay away from any pomp and circumstance.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #638 on: October 02, 2018, 12:58:18 AM
Thanks to a member on badger and blade, I've become the proud caretaker of a Gillette No Date Code (NDC) super speed. I believe the lack of date code indicates it was made between 1948 and 1950.

My daily driver for the past few years has been a Gillette pre-war fat handle tech, so that razor is my basis for comparison.

First thing I did was give it a good cleaning. Once that was done, I noticed that it exhibited a bit of the "knob drop" phenomenon. Thanks to many helpful posts on B&B, I was able to repair it using the pipe cutter with a washer method.

Right off the bat, I noticed that the super speed is very mild, but still seems to be efficient. The larger sized head gives it a nice heft, such that I feel like I'm applying less pressure (not that I really apply much to begin with). It seems a bit more forgiving of technique than the tech as well. If I get sloppy with my angles, I notice no irritation, but it does result in a less smooth shave. If I pay attention, I've been able to get a BBS shave without issue.

A few "cons," though more like preferences:
1) The large head is a little large to see around. I keep a full beard and only shave my neck. Finding the neck line is more of a challenge with the super speed.
2) The handle seems abnormally thin. I think I do like the fat handle of the Tech better in that regard.

All in all, it seems like a great razor, and it has earned a spot in my now two-razor rotation.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:00:06 AM by gustophersmob »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #639 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
I like it and thanks for steering me here!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #640 on: October 03, 2018, 03:36:47 PM
Another room to visit!  :like:
Thanks gustophersmob

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #641 on: October 03, 2018, 03:57:24 PM
I like it and thanks for steering me here!

Another room to visit!  :like:
Thanks gustophersmob

You're welcome, I think  :think:

You guys may want to leave now, otherwise your wallets may not be thanking me later!

And, whatever you do, don't ever visit badger and blade unless you are prepared to go down the black hole of shaving fun!  :whistle:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #642 on: October 03, 2018, 04:00:41 PM
Art of Manliness already opened up that door :facepalm:
Barry

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #643 on: October 03, 2018, 04:01:27 PM
Had another great shave with the NDC super speed. This thing may start giving my pre-war tech a run for its money  :ahhh

The great thing about this is that the total $ spent in this picture is only $28  :D

1) Gillette NDC super busy razor $5
2) Semogue 1470 brush $13.50
3) Razor stand $3
4) Brush bowl $1
5) Shaving cream $5.50

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #644 on: October 03, 2018, 04:07:05 PM
And just for fun, here is my collection of DE razors.

From left to right (in order from oldest to newest):

1) Gillette pre-war ('38-41) fat handle tech - my daily driver
2) Gillette pre-war ('38-41) fat handle tech - backup
3) Gillette pre-war ('38-41) fat handle tech - backup #2
4) Gillette no date code (NDC) super speed ('48-49)
5) Gillette 1954 (Z1) ball end tech - with broken screw post  :-\
6) Gillette 1964 (J3) super speed - my first DE and now my wife's razor
7) Gillette modern Chinese market tech - for my daughters to pretend with (no blade of course!)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:30:04 PM by gustophersmob »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #645 on: October 03, 2018, 05:17:54 PM
Nice!!!   I see my next spending spree coming :woohoo:
Barry

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #646 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:56 PM
Nice!!!   I see my next spending spree coming :woohoo:

Depending on what you're after, you can get a lot of cool vintage stuff relatively cheap. I keep watch on listings for vintage Gillette razor and check out the trade forum on badger and blade a lot

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #647 on: October 03, 2018, 05:31:55 PM
I've been wanting a vintage safely razor for the longest time.  I have the brush and bar, just needing the 3rd part of the trifecta.  Once I begin, it won't stop at one! 
Barry

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #648 on: October 03, 2018, 05:45:20 PM
I'm another member of B&B, but haven't caught the shopaholic bug that Gustopher has. Havent logged in there for a few weeks though. Life has been a little too busy  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #649 on: October 03, 2018, 05:50:17 PM
I'm another member of B&B, but haven't caught the shopaholic bug that Gustopher has. Havent logged in there for a few weeks though. Life has been a little too busy  :-\

I've not quite gone full shopaholic yet. My collection had slowly grown over the last 5 years, mainly picking things up when the price is too good to pass up. I've got slightly less than $60 invested in those 7 razors.

I try to limit my time there though, otherwise temptation would get the best of me  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #650 on: October 03, 2018, 07:16:02 PM

I've not quite gone full shopaholic yet. My collection had slowly grown over the last 5 years, mainly picking things up when the price is too good to pass up. I've got slightly less than $60 invested in those 7 razors.

I try to limit my time there though, otherwise temptation would get the best of me  :D

:tu:

Well I've got these so far (pic attached) which is me maxed out. Only one was bought since joining B&B though, the others have been here several years... and one of them about 25-30 years...

I also have a very small array of soaps and stuff, so I've escaped very lightly :D

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #651 on: October 03, 2018, 08:00:39 PM

Well I've got these so far (pic attached) which is me maxed out. Only one was bought since joining B&B though, the others have been here several years... and one of them about 25-30 years...

I also have a very small array of soaps and stuff, so I've escaped very lightly :D

Nice collection!

Are the two on the ends autostrops?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #652 on: October 03, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

Nice collection!

Are the two on the ends autostrops?

The one on the right is a Rolls Razor, and the one on the left is a Darwin Universal Hollow Ground, which is a more complicated Sheffield made system razor. Both cases contain stropping mechanisms for the hollow ground blades.
IMG_20180730_190141_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180730_190141_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 68.99 KB)
IMG_20180628_170201_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20180628_170201_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 35.81 KB)
IMG_20180628_165534_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20180628_165534_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 43.77 KB)
IMG_20180628_165802_800_600.jpg
* IMG_20180628_165802_800_600.jpg (Filesize: 39.79 KB)

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #653 on: October 03, 2018, 09:36:40 PM
That's pretty cool. An antique store near me has something that looks really similar to the rolls razor. I thought it had a different name though  :think:

I'll have to check next time I'm there

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #654 on: October 14, 2018, 12:04:11 AM
Apparently I have no self control  :facepalm:

Just received an almost NOS Gillette '48-49 NDC super speed, with its original case.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #655 on: October 14, 2018, 12:11:59 AM
Ohh, NICE!  :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #656 on: October 14, 2018, 12:15:04 AM
JR

Thanks! It's hard to believe it's 70 years old  :o

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #657 on: October 14, 2018, 01:17:45 AM
JR

Thanks! It's hard to believe it's 70 years old  :o
For as good of a condition it’s in yeah! They just don’t make things as good as they used to, they just want you to have to buy more, and more, and more, and keep raising the price..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #658 on: October 24, 2018, 11:44:57 PM
BUmp! For No Shave November!!!
No one wants to see cranberry sauce and stuffing in your beard! Try an old school galette slim and Astra SP blade!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #659 on: October 25, 2018, 12:02:59 AM
I have been down the road you guys are on, double & single edge safety razor, straight razor, multiblade of many brands. Got old so now I just mow my face with a $50.00  Norelco. :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%