Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #660 on: October 25, 2018, 12:04:06 AM
I have been down the road you guys are on, double & single edge safety razor, straight razor, multiblade of many brands. Got old so now I just mow my face with a $50.00  Norelco. :dunno:
electric??
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:05:09 AM by JBW1 »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #661 on: October 25, 2018, 12:29:57 AM
I have been down the road you guys are on, double & single edge safety razor, straight razor, multiblade of many brands. Got old so now I just mow my face with a $50.00  Norelco. :dunno:

I used to use an electric, but now that I've switched I couldn't go back. It left my neck so irritated it felt like a rodent had been gnawing on it.

With the DE razor, I very rarely have irritation or blood letting.  Plus, it's pretty inexpensive.

If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #662 on: October 25, 2018, 12:35:23 AM

I used to use an electric, but now that I've switched I couldn't go back. It left my neck so irritated it felt like a rodent had been gnawing on it.

With the DE razor, I very rarely have irritation or blood letting.  Plus, it's pretty inexpensive.
In a rush I have used a wahl 5 star electric, and it’s ok... but it gets me up early to have enough time to wet shave with an old Gellete followed up by some Proraso “green” aka wake up juice!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:39:20 AM by JBW1 »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #663 on: October 25, 2018, 12:53:40 AM
electric??

Yip, the Doc has got both my skin & my blood so thin that if I do get the slightest nick, I bleed for hours. Of course I wasn't that way back when me & Noah built our little fishing boat...............  :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:54:48 AM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Dinodude221

• New User
Reply #664 on: October 25, 2018, 04:58:43 AM
I'm new here and relatively new to old school school shaving. But my setup is a Van Der Hagen DE Razor. I just started getting good with my shavette, which is a no name from China and want to upgrade it, but don't have the funds right now.

I really love how you have to take your time shaving with the shavette, I won't be going back to cartridge razors.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #665 on: October 25, 2018, 03:49:57 PM
DOWN WITH GILLETTE!  :viking:

After years of enriching these melon farmers I recently got a Muhle safety razor.......quite frankly no idea of the model, it has a black handle and it was in stock  :salute:

So far so good, haven't cut myself to shreds and figured out how to get at the hairs right under my nose.

edit:

This one I think: https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/TRADITIONAL/Safety-Razor-Shave/Safety-razors/Safety-razor-from-MUEHLE-closed-comb-handle-material-high-grade-resin-black.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:58:49 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #666 on: October 25, 2018, 04:14:54 PM
DOWN WITH GILLETTE!  :viking:

After years of enriching these melon farmers I recently got a Muhle safety razor.......quite frankly no idea of the model, it has a black handle and it was in stock  :salute:

So far so good, haven't cut myself to shreds and figured out how to get at the hairs right under my nose.

edit:

This one I think: https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/TRADITIONAL/Safety-Razor-Shave/Safety-razors/Safety-razor-from-MUEHLE-closed-comb-handle-material-high-grade-resin-black.html
NICE! I like the thick handle :tu:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #667 on: October 25, 2018, 04:16:16 PM
I'm new here and relatively new to old school school shaving. But my setup is a Van Der Hagen DE Razor. I just started getting good with my shavette, which is a no name from China and want to upgrade it, but don't have the funds right now.

I really love how you have to take your time shaving with the shavette, I won't be going back to cartridge razors.
I Never went down the shavette road, but have thought about trying  one for head shaving...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #668 on: October 25, 2018, 04:16:46 PM
I finally get to play!

I have been after an electric razor for a while and I finally got one for my birthday- again, thanks to Megan.  It charges through a USB cable, which is handy, and I like the Tron-esque charge indicator that appears from nowhere when you turn it on.  It also has a sideburn trimmer on the back.  It works well, but it doesn't shave as close as a real razor, but it's a lot more convenient, so I'm likely to use it more often.  I generally only shave every few days normally, as razors always make a mess of my skin.  This one has too so far, but I have only used it dry, and, as it's a wet/dry shaver I am going to try it in the shower some time.

It also amuses me that it's a SweetLF brand shaver that I got for my birthday three days after the federal government legalized cannabis.   :facepalm:

Def
15404765557452.jpg
* 15404765557452.jpg (Filesize: 117.34 KB)
15404765556421.jpg
* 15404765556421.jpg (Filesize: 117.4 KB)
15404765555240.jpg
* 15404765555240.jpg (Filesize: 109.94 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dinodude221

• New User
Reply #669 on: October 30, 2018, 02:18:46 AM
I have found that with my shavette, it is not very forgiving when it comes to lapses in technique. You feel it right away if you cut or nick yourself.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #670 on: November 25, 2018, 01:55:02 PM
Grant, hows the new shaver treating you?  Part of me would like to give electric a go again, but any I've tried in the past (many, many years ago) were meh at best.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #671 on: November 26, 2018, 01:12:05 PM
I have a Fatip Grande coming here from a friend on another forum (shaving forum) later this week, and my Wilkinson Sword Empire will be sent off to live with him. I've heard a lot about the Grande, and it's supposed to be quite a vicious little bugger. It'll be interesting to try it out.

On the shopping list for next year, is a Razorine, which is a double edge razor with the handle coming off the side, so you use it like a shavette.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #672 on: November 27, 2018, 03:57:37 AM
I have a Fatip Grande coming here from a friend on another forum (shaving forum) later this week, and my Wilkinson Sword Empire will be sent off to live with him. I've heard a lot about the Grande, and it's supposed to be quite a vicious little bugger. It'll be interesting to try it out.

On the shopping list for next year, is a Razorine, which is a double edge razor with the handle coming off the side, so you use it like a shavette.

(Image removed from quote.)

Never heard of a razorine. It'll be interesting to hear how you like it.

If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #673 on: November 27, 2018, 05:08:52 AM

Never heard of a razorine. It'll be interesting to hear how you like it.
+1 :think:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #674 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:55 PM
I like a good double edge safety razor, A Vander hagen can be had at Walmart for roughly $15 these days and you can get  a whole box full of blades for $5. (Although the best are shark or feather brand). I just use ordinary barbasol for shave cream.   And then lather up with some Adidas aftershave!
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #675 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:53 AM
I like a good double edge safety razor, A Vander hagen can be had at Walmart for roughly $15 these days and you can get  a whole box full of blades for $5. (Although the best are shark or feather brand). I just use ordinary barbasol for shave cream.   And then lather up with some Adidas aftershave!

That's one of the things that attracted me to DE shaving. It can certainly be much less expensive than disposables if you want.  :tu:

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #676 on: December 02, 2018, 09:41:54 PM

That's one of the things that attracted me to DE shaving. It can certainly be much less expensive than disposables if you want.  :tu:
True that! Closer shave for less money? No brainer!
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #677 on: December 03, 2018, 01:05:30 AM
Kinda surprised the Mrs, I said I had buzz the top off but I cut the sides off too, but the goat ain’t going, there’s no freaking way! But the smile I got when she saw what I did was freaking cute!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #678 on: December 12, 2018, 01:11:55 AM

Judging by your PIF (nice one, BTW) on B&B, you didn't get along with the Fatip?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #679 on: December 12, 2018, 12:28:31 PM
Made another for a friend and made myself and a different friend a pipe rack.

Let me know if you ever want to sell those, I'd be interested for my pipes! I have a 3 pipe rack for, um, more. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #680 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:42 PM

You shaving your head or just face?  I am looking to get a good set up for my head.  My ugly mug need all the help so I let my beard grow as it wants  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #681 on: December 12, 2018, 05:20:20 PM

You shaving your head or just face?  I am looking to get a good set up for my head.  My ugly mug need all the help so I let my beard grow as it wants  :rofl:
Headblade!
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #682 on: December 12, 2018, 05:22:08 PM
Ill take a look.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #683 on: December 12, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
Ill take a look.   :salute:
I started shaving the head with a normal two blade razor, but then saw one of the headblade and was like cool and had to try it. And I must say it’s all I’ve used since then, attaches to your finger and just make one stroke back, rinse and make another, so much easier, only thing is the one I started with you actully push the blade, a little diff but after a while the head gets used to it and it’s great, they now have one that pulls but I’m not a fan of it, but I don’t shave anymore, just buzz, unless something comes up.. any questions just ask
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #684 on: December 12, 2018, 05:58:35 PM
Thanks again.  I have been using a disposable, yeah I know, and while I can get a good shave when I go slow its not idea.  Yeah again, I know, I should take my time.  I have coarse hair and it annihilates the blades so I go thru them quickly.  I wished I just thin out or go bald altogether.  Sure would make things easier. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #685 on: December 12, 2018, 07:43:20 PM
Thanks again.  I have been using a disposable, yeah I know, and while I can get a good shave when I go slow its not idea.  Yeah again, I know, I should take my time.  I have coarse hair and it annihilates the blades so I go thru them quickly.  I wished I just thin out or go bald altogether.  Sure would make things easier.
Oh I hear you, that was one reason I liked the one with two blades, cause my hair is so thick and coarse, get a couple shaves with the disposable head then just switch it out, their other which is 4 or even 6 blade forget it, clogs to quickly, yet I just went on their page and I don’t see the two blades I used,
JR

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #686 on: January 26, 2019, 04:46:30 AM
Pictured here is my Schick Quattro Titanium. Closest shave I have ever had with a cartridge razor.  :tu:
20190125_223912.jpg
* 20190125_223912.jpg (Filesize: 285.54 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #687 on: January 26, 2019, 06:17:06 PM
I recently got a Norelco OneBlade. Very happy with it.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #688 on: February 01, 2019, 05:46:35 AM
I recently got a Norelco OneBlade. Very happy with it.
noice :D
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #689 on: February 01, 2019, 05:49:05 AM
Today's shave- a Gillette Mach 3. It does what it needs to do and does it well, love it.
20190131_232214.jpg
* 20190131_232214.jpg (Filesize: 300.12 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD