Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #690 on: February 01, 2019, 09:16:32 AM
Today's shave- a Gillette Mach 3. It does what it needs to do and does it well, love it.

My wife stole mine when we got married, been going strong for 17.5 years!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #691 on: February 02, 2019, 03:19:34 AM
I have a Fatip Grande coming here from a friend on another forum (shaving forum) later this week, and my Wilkinson Sword Empire will be sent off to live with him. I've heard a lot about the Grande, and it's supposed to be quite a vicious little bugger. It'll be interesting to try it out.

On the shopping list for next year, is a Razorine, which is a double edge razor with the handle coming off the side, so you use it like a shavette.

(Image removed from quote.)

Judging by your PIF (nice one, BTW) on B&B, you didn't get along with the Fatip?

Nah, I didn't like it at all. I stuck it out until I got a decent shave with it, but it wasn't as easy or comfortable as what I'm used to. I'm back with the Jagger as my primary razor again, but I'm currently trying to do a month with my Dovo shavette (with half DE blades)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #692 on: March 06, 2019, 12:21:25 AM
Mrs said the top doesn’t look to good with a little fuzz, fully buzzed ok, but slick even better, so I ended up shaving everything except the goat, that’s never going!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #693 on: April 28, 2019, 09:59:50 AM
I use a Mach 3 a blade last me almost a year. Anytime the blade starts pulling I strop the blade 10 times on my jeans laying on a hard surface. After a few days or however long you use your blades and they stop shaving well, the blades aren't dull the edge just need to be straightened out. Try it you will never shave with a dull blade again and you will save a lot of money.   
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #694 on: October 15, 2019, 12:59:36 AM
A year or so ago, I happened across a design for an Altoids insert to hold a prewar Gillette tech, which is my preferred razor. Unfortunately I didn’t have a 3D printer, so I kind of forgot about. Today I remembered it, and my new job has several printers.

So, after a bit of delay, I finally have one:)

Here’s where I got the design file:
https://www.thirstybadger.ca/3d-printed-travel-cases/
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #695 on: October 15, 2019, 01:18:29 AM
I decided to add a leather pad to the lid to keep all the bits from rattling
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #696 on: October 15, 2019, 01:48:19 AM
That’s nice!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #697 on: October 15, 2019, 06:05:51 AM
Thats really cool.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #698 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:53 AM
I like that!  :tu:

I do like my Merkur 985 for travel, but I have to carry a pack of blades with it too (Ideally one with a used blade slot)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #699 on: October 15, 2019, 02:11:23 PM
Thanks guys  :cheers:

Al, speaking of used blade slots, I forgot to mention that this design also has one of those. Not sure how useful it is yet. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #700 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:32 AM
Oh, nice one!

Just got a Razorine through the letterbox today, Gus. Popped a quick review up at the other place. Fun, but has its issues. Hoping for some input from the maker.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #701 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:01 AM
Just popped over to B&B. Nice review of the razorine. Such an interesting concept. It’s too bad it isn’t working out

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #702 on: October 18, 2019, 04:43:14 AM
Apparently he's third generation in that razor making family, and they've made similar implements all that time. This one is supposedly the updated version, but they've obviously not gotten a handle on production methods and quality control yet. I don't think it would take much rethinking and retooling to fix it, but it's having the knowhow and finances.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #703 on: January 15, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
This one's for comis:

Merkur razor and Feather blades: luxury shave.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #704 on: January 15, 2020, 04:52:57 PM
Haha!  I knew there must be a shaving thread somewhere on MTO! :cheers:

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #705 on: January 19, 2020, 07:43:43 PM
Took the GL Slim and Astra SP for a headshave today. :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #706 on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:55 PM
 :like:

Astra SPs are my favorite. I’ve got enough now to last me through the shave-pocalypse.

Also love the vintage Gillette’s, preferring the pre war tech style

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #707 on: January 19, 2020, 07:58:42 PM
I’ve been just letting it grow, but I got to trim it up, I just don’t grow thick on the sides and I wanted to grow it like my grandfathers, yet I kinda went out of control with the chin, I just really don’t know the first thing
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #708 on: January 19, 2020, 08:00:16 PM
:like:

Astra SPs are my favorite. I’ve got enough now to last me through the shave-pocalypse.

Also love the vintage Gillette’s, preferring the pre war tech style

The SP was the only blade that’s agreed with me so far. I didn’t really even care for the Astra SS. But Now I found what works for me , I’m planning on stocking up on some.
I have a FB as well but Never found out the years. Where are the date stamps located?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #709 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:42 PM
The SP was the only blade that’s agreed with me so far. I didn’t really even care for the Astra SS. But Now I found what works for me , I’m planning on stocking up on some.
I have a FB as well but Never found out the years. Where are the date stamps located?

On the bottom of the head typically unless it’s a much older, like the Old Type.

This site has some pics and a date code table:
https://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-date-codes/

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #710 on: January 19, 2020, 08:42:51 PM
It’s been awhile since I’ve shown my normal setup. Nothing really has changed.

Pre war Gillette tech with astra SP
Semogue 1460 boar brush
Vintage nickel plated cup to soak brush
Usual pacific shave shave cream
Homemade stand

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #711 on: January 19, 2020, 09:19:04 PM
I don’t shave much, just use the buzzers, although the Mrs is saying I should get back to completely shaving the head and keeping a thin goat, but I like a little thicker goat, and I want to do some type of beard but just don’t know what, yet the head I understand and can agree, cause in a few years there’s not going to be anything up top,
JR

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #712 on: January 20, 2020, 12:15:43 AM
I use the Harry's razors with pretty good luck..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #713 on: January 20, 2020, 12:19:33 AM
Well, I gave up, I kept the goat thick but the rest came off, Mrs still isn’t thrilled but happier then she was,,
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #714 on: January 20, 2020, 01:25:31 AM
It’s been awhile since I’ve shown my normal setup. Nothing really has changed.

Pre war Gillette tech with astra SP
Semogue 1460 boar brush
Vintage nickel plated cup to soak brush
Usual pacific shave shave cream
Homemade stand

Any brushes you want to sell? I only have an omega 10098. I’m looking to try something shorter maybe.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #715 on: January 20, 2020, 01:33:52 AM
Any brushes you want to sell? I only have an omega 10098. I’m looking to try something shorter maybe.

Sorry, all I currently have is the semogue and a spare of the same kind (which I misspoke earlier, it’s the 1470 not 1460). They’re pretty inexpensive, though, $16 on amazon or $13.30 direct from semogue on eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Semogue-Excelsior-1470-Shaving-Brush/dp/B00TCHV6L4/

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F141394360830

I do really like this brush. Lots of backbone, which is normal for boar, but very soft tips after a few weeks/months of break in. Also a relatively small knot and short loft which works well for me since I have a beard and only shave my neck. I’ve had this one for slightly under two years. Great value for dollar, IMO.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #716 on: January 20, 2020, 01:36:20 AM
Thanks for your input. The omega that I have has a lot of backbone and still has not bloomed, it’s been about 6 mo. Aaaand I’m just looking for an excuse to get a new one haha. I’m not liking the boar on my Bald head

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #717 on: January 20, 2020, 01:38:49 AM
I don’t really remember now, but I think it was about 4-6 weeks for mine to feel pretty broken in.

Semogues are known for their “side show bob” look, so they bloom pretty readily. Just takes a little work for the tips to split.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #718 on: January 20, 2020, 03:52:30 AM
Here’s my razors, thanks for the link to the date codes GUSTO! I just spent all evening watching and reading  razor stuff. I’ve been out of the loop for awhile.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #719 on: January 20, 2020, 03:58:50 AM
-1962 Fatboy and full package of 1962 fatboy blades
-1961 Slim
-1934-ish New “red and black” no date code but as far as the info points to the early 30’s.
-1964 Travel Tech.

Thanks again for the info!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:06:41 AM by JBW1 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31