Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$35 to spend. What to get????

au Offline JCK

Re: $35 to spend. What to get????
Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:09 AM
Sounds like good choices, hunstman and E01 are great pieces of gear. I'm biased towards the Pioneer, as its been my EDC for the last 1.5 years. All I've ever needed far as knife wise.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:21 PM
lm wingman

I have one on the way. =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:01 PM
lm wingman

Well did you get your Wingman yet?  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 03:19:43 AM
I got a Wingman, and cannot recommend it. Its very cheaply made.  The lock on the scissor disengages without warning, which makes the scissors collapse.  The wire cutter is not machined and the cutter blades do not overlap as on every other MT.  They just butt up against each other to crush but not cut.   Better to save up that $30 - $35 for the Rebar or something else.  JMO.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:39 AM
I got a Wingman, and cannot recommend it. Its very cheaply made.  The lock on the scissor disengages without warning, which makes the scissors collapse.  The wire cutter is not machined and the cutter blades do not overlap as on every other MT.  They just butt up against each other to crush but not cut.   Better to save up that $30 - $35 for the Rebar or something else.  JMO.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Wingman. If your scissors are disengaging and wire cutters are not working correctly I would suggest sending it to Leatherman for warranty work/replacement.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:45 PM
lm wingman

Well did you get your Wingman yet?  :think:

I do have my wingman and I love it.
The spring pliers are awesome.

I disagree that it is cheaply made.
my scissors work great, I just have to press down on the tip of the scissors and it locks up tight.
the body style is really nice..like a sport car or something.. =)
I did find that its not perfect. (slight play in knife when deployed, and a couple other minor issues if I'm being picky.)

I have to say that I love how it snaps and feels.....it just feels solid... like a leatherman product.

Noodle...I think you have got a lemon.
Also powernoodle....keep in mind that this tool just got released.
They will most likely make small tweaks to the tool overtime to make it better as they have with most of their MTs.

Bottom line:
its a USA multitool for $25 that has a great warranty.

Leatherman was trying to create a cost effective but quality tool...and in my opinion they succeeded.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:27:34 PM by New_World »
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:05 PM
I'd love to see a wingman or sidekick first hand.  Unfortunately, the local Home Depot know nothing about these tools and there is nothing in the database with the SKU number.  So, I guess I'm out of luck for a while. 

Given the somewhat mixed reactions, it may be worth the wait to get one, though at $25, it was going to be a risk I was willing to take.

Besides, I'm probably supposed to spend that $25 on groceries or something.

Martin
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 01:40:18 AM
Another thing you can do, Brother Spaulding, is just hold that $35 in reserve until you see something you can't live without.  I found today, for example, a used Core with sheath for $30 on another forum and sua sponte decided to grab it because I had $61 sitting in my paypal account.   I'm not saying it was the deal of the century, but I don't have a Core in my arsenal so I grabbed it.  So, there is nothing wrong with sitting on that money until something strikes you.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:25 PM
Another thing you can do, Brother Spaulding, is just hold that $35 in reserve until you see something you can't live without.  I found today, for example, a used Core with sheath for $30 on another forum and sua sponte decided to grab it because I had $61 sitting in my paypal account.   I'm not saying it was the deal of the century, but I don't have a Core in my arsenal so I grabbed it.  So, there is nothing wrong with sitting on that money until something strikes you.

Yea I definitely agree with holding onto it until I see something I have to have. Problem is I have spent around $250 on new MT'S and SAK'S since I started this thread.  :D
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline rayraychil

• B.Ps. Motto "Be Prepared" Yes I have a Leatherman!
Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:40 PM
Leatherman Side, Wingman, Juice etc...
I love my leatherman tools like I love my lady an kids !
I just have a few more of them then the wife and kids lol :-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%