Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Hunter XT?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Victorinox Hunter XT?
on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:36 AM
I searched before I posted this thread but couldn't find anything about this knife.  I saw on Smokey Mountain Knife Works' site they have a SAK listed as a Victorinox Hunter XT.  It's Temporarily Out of Stock, currently.  I was wondering if anyone has this knife?  If anyone does I'm sure they would be in here.  I like that the one-hand main blade is a straight edge and I also like the belt cutter blade, both of which are on the Duo Pro X.  It looks basically like a stripped down version of the Duo Pro X with the scales being green & black instead of the red & black on the Duo Pro.  I can't find it for sale any place but SMKW so I'm assuming it was made for them? :think:

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Victorinox%26reg%3B/Victorinox%C2%AE+Hunter+XT+with+Nylon+Sheath/V545278.html
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Victorinox Hunter XT?
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:17:11 AM
don't think I've ever seen that one before, nice find. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:54:56 AM
Excellent find!   I have not seen it before.  Might be a SMKW exclusive, I've ask for more information.  Too bad shipping is high there, and based on order value not weight.

It's shown with green scales, but the description says it has the anthracite scales that were used on the Master RT.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:03:02 AM
I think ICanFixThat is probably right- SMKW has done quite a few limited runs with Victorniox. Some were really good (the Hunting series) while others were... interesting (Master Gardner, Master Electrician).

This one looks REALLY good, and I hope they get it back in stock. My only grumble is that there is no opener layer, but that is what a P38 on the lanyard is for, and it has the green scales- I like the red ones in the woods.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:17:14 AM
I don't own a Master RT but do own a Spirit RT and the whole anthracite thing is a bit confusing to me.  :think:  Is anthracite just a term used to describe the coloring of the various RT Series tool or is there actually anthracite used in the scale material? 

I was thinking that these were probably a special run for SMKW too.  I called to ask if they were getting anymore in and the custom service rep didn't sound too knowledgeable.  He seemed to think they were getting more in but had no idea when.

My only grumble is that there is no opener layer, but that is what a P38 on the lanyard is for, and it has the green scales- I like the red ones in the woods.

ironraven:  that is the Duo Pro X that you described to the tee.  A really nice SAK.  I like that there isn't an opener layer on this SAK.  Sort of a stripped down version of a One-Hand, Linerlock, 111mm SAK with Dual Density scales.  Now I'm going to have to monitor that site to see if they ever come in.  :ahhh
[

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:39 AM
that is the Duo Pro X that you described to the tee. 

Actually, I described the Dual Pro plus a saw. :) Which is exactly what I'm looking for.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:46:37 AM
that is the Duo Pro X that you described to the tee. 

Actually, I described the Dual Pro plus a saw. :) Which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yeah, a wood saw would be a nice addition.  To do that would require 4 layers.  I looked and don't think I saw anything more than 3 layers with the dual density scales.  I only saw one One-Hand SAK, the One-Hand Fireman, that was more than 3 layers.  There are many 111mm nylon scaled SAK's that have more than 3 layers though.  They must think four layer with dual density scales would be too bulky? :think:  It would be nice to see a wood saw added to a Duo Pro X.  Call it the "ironraven".  :cheers: 

I don't care about the opener layer.  I never open cans and never use the small screwdriver or wire stripper.  The bottle opener is a tool that I use more because of the large screwdriver tip but never use the bottle opener.  I would rather have the wood saw than the opener layer.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:55:53 AM by 1jump2many »
[

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:39 PM
This is a pre-order. The Hunter XT's will be available at the end of the month and I will be ordering a few for the store. It is not an SMKW exclusive.
T

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:25 AM
YAH!

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 07:01:34 AM
This is a pre-order. The Hunter XT's will be available at the end of the month and I will be ordering a few for the store. It is not an SMKW exclusive.

Great news!  Thanks for the info Felinevet,  :tu:  I'll be checking out your store at the end of the month.  :cheers:
[

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:02:48 AM
I want!  :drool:

Edit: Wish it had a corkscrew though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:06:30 AM by Stirling3749 »

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 06:32:03 PM
NICE!!! i want one!!  :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
custom swiss army knives

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
Received the Vic Hunter XT I ordered today. :mail:  It comes with a black nylon sheath with the same crest that is on the SwissTool Spirit sheaths, which imo is unnecessary, but it could be also used with a Vic MT.  I bought mine from SMKW because I didn't see that felinevet was selling them until after I ordered it.  I have since ordered another SAK from felinevet, sorry about that.  It appears that felinevet and SMKW are the only places selling them.  It basically is a Duo Pro X with the green & black dual density scales like the 2008 Soldier and a wood saw instead of a can opener and bottle opener layer.  Good knife for collectors for sure.
[

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:40 PM
I really like them. I have them for $40.
T

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 12:13:45 AM
could they not fit an awl on the backlayer?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:31 PM
Awl is on the back of the opener layer, so no openers = no awl.  :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:48 PM
Awl is on the back of the opener layer, so no openers = no awl.  :-\
Ya it's really too bad it has a Phillips on the back.  I would have prefered nothing on the back if they could not put the reamer/awl on there.  Maybe a good project for a mod, because with the reamer it would be a super good outdoor tool and more.  With just the Phillips it looks kind of silly and unrefined.  I'll try to ignore the fact that the Phillips is there, but I'm really thinking this needs modding.

Funny that this was not in the Victorinox 2011 fall promotions brochure.... hmmm

Where are scales DD Green or Grey on the first ones out?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:12:14 AM

DD Green.  Aren't the DD Grey a Road Tour Edition exclusive? :think:
[

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:50 AM

DD Green.  Aren't the DD Grey a Road Tour Edition exclusive? :think:
Sorry, I went back and saw you had already reported that.

Yes so far the DD Grey, were an RT exclusive.  But since the description said "Dual density anthracite and black composite handle" I assumed it would be grey.  Victorinox used the term anthracite first to describe the color of the Spirit RT, for this tool it was a very good/accurate color name.  However for some reason they then used it to describe the Master RT, which was a inaccurate description of the color (as it's simply grey), and they have never used it to describe the DD scales on the Soldier 2008. 

So I'm chalking it up to either a last minute change, or someone was not paying attention when they described the knife and now all the dealers are copying the incorrect description even though it's obviously incorrect. 

It could be it was originally intended to be released later, but then to get it out in time for the holidays they had to use the scales they had on hand.  It's very strange that it was not shown in a dealer brochure showing the Fall 2011 specials, and that leads me to believe it may have been a bit of a last minute thing, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks for confirming the details on the knife, mine should be here shortly.  I really like the direction of this model, but I which it was just a little better thought out.

:cheers:

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:31 AM
Yes so far the DD Grey, were an RT exclusive.  But since the description said "Dual density anthracite and black composite handle" I assumed it would be grey.  Victorinox used the term anthracite first to describe the color of the Spirit RT, for this tool it was a very good/accurate color name.  However for some reason they then used it to describe the Master RT, which was a inaccurate description of the color (as it's simply grey), and they have never used it to describe the DD scales on the Soldier 2008. 

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. :salute:  I have the Spirit RT model and saw the anthracite description and knew that anthracite is coal.  I thought they were using it as a color description but wasn't 100% certain what the connection was.  Especially when I saw it being used to describe the Master RT too.  I was thinking of buying a Master RT, besides the scale color is the only difference the metal file in place of the saw? 
[

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 10:03:20 AM
I was thinking of buying a Master RT, besides the scale color is the only difference the metal file in place of the saw? 

If you are referring to toe Soldier then yes. But if you mean the Hunter XT then no! The Master does not have the curved blade and has the opener + reamer layer :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:23 PM
If you are referring to toe Soldier then yes. But if you mean the Hunter XT then no! The Master does not have the curved blade and has the opener + reamer layer :)

I was referring to the difference between the Master RT and the 2008 Soldier.  I have the Hunter XT and the 2008 Soldier but not the Master RT.  But it seems I will have to correct that deficiency ASAP.  :D :climber:
[

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:27 PM
The Master is awesome, IMHO. The gray/black scales are great, the file is super aggressive, nice laser etching on the blade and it comes in a very nice limited edition RT box 8)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Eyegor

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:26 PM
Saw a Hunter XT with green dual density scales at Gander Mountain today. No coin in the pocket though so it had to stay there.
T

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:41 PM
The Master is awesome, IMHO. The gray/black scales are great, the file is super aggressive, nice laser etching on the blade and it comes in a very nice limited edition RT box 8)

I really like the looks of the Master RT's scales.  It along with a OH Fireman are on my short list of upcoming SAK's.  I have to lie low for a week or so, my wife is starting to notice my rash of recent purchases.   >:D  Today was bad when a couple items I ordered showed up at the same time.   :D
[

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:19 PM
Opened my Hunter XT today.  VERY NICE!!      :tu:

It might be my imagination, but it seemed to come extra sharp, anyone else notice this?

I had forgot they were being packaged with a belt pouch as well, a nice touch.  Only problem is I did scratch up the back of one chair with a similar pouch due to the metal Vic logo/riveted on the pouch.  I have to remove it from by EDC Spirit pouch before I put it back on my belt.  I recommend Victorinox quickly find a new way to attach a logo to the pouches, maybe a nice colored rubberized logo or embroideried logo.

I think this knife will be really great in a combo.  I'm really liking it.  I believe they may have a sleeper hit with this one until people get a chance to try it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:49 PM

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:56 PM

Sing out when they arrive!!  I want one!! :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:35 PM
T

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:03 PM

Sing out when they arrive!!  I want one!! :tu:
They are in the store: http://www.edcsource.com/auction_details.php?auction_search=1&auction_id=109388&option=basic_search&src_auction_id=&keywords_search=&buyout_price=&reserve_price=&quantity=&enable_swap=&list_in=&results_view=&country=&zip_code=&username=&basic_search=hunter
Thanks for the heads up!!  Come payday this friday, SHE IS MINE!!! :tu:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:47:41 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%