Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit S questions

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Swisstool Spirit S questions
on: December 28, 2007, 06:40:04 PM
I'm considering combining my love of SAK's and multi-tools into one super package. I have a couple of questions though. One, do the blades lock open? Also, how much does it weigh in ounces? I don't like to wear sheaths so I'm considering pocket carry so weight and "smoothness" are important. Although since it's Swiss I'm assuming it's fairly smooth. I also have a question about the lanyard hole, could someone show me a picture of that? If I buy something that expensive I want to be able to secure it.

Thanks in advance
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Swisstool Spirit S questions
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:51:41 PM
One, do the blades lock open?

Yuppers

Also, how much does it weigh in ounces?

8.53 with the nylon sheath, 7.42 without

There really isn't a lanyard hole per se, it's the same hole on the side that is used to put the corkscrew in, same as on the SwissTool.

On the black SwissTool and the Spirit in these pics it's the keyhole shaped cutout in the plier spring mechanism.  On the Standard SwissTool in the second picture, it's the round hole.

In this pic you can see it a little better- it's the keyhole shaped hole in the bottom two and the round hole in the top one.

I hope this helps some.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:55:27 PM
Ahh yes, very clear now. I just wish they came with a pocket clip. Thank you for the pics.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:12:59 PM
Stuff the Spirit  >:D  Lets just post loads of Swisstool pics  :D

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:22:20 PM
Do a search here for a Spirit with a pocket clip- a couple of guys have modded them to have clips!

Or maybe wait a few hours- maybe one of them will be happy to post pictures and updated thoughts on their mods!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:24:03 PM
Well I've just about talked myself into getting one. Now all I have to do is sweet talk the wife. I told her I wanted to get a new SAK after Xmas and she said no problem BUT she's assuming I'm gonna spend about 20-30 bucks. Oh well, it shouldn't be a problem. If that doesn't work I'll just do it the old fashioned way and bug the hell out of her until she gives in.  >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:26:20 PM
Well I've just about talked myself into getting one. Now all I have to do is sweet talk the wife. I told her I wanted to get a new SAK after Xmas and she said no problem BUT she's assuming I'm gonna spend about 20-30 bucks. Oh well, it shouldn't be a problem. If that doesn't work I'll just do it the old fashioned way and bug the hell out of her until she gives in.  >:D

Or you could just not tell her.  ;)  Or order one from Tim and go down the "helping the kitties" route.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 07:33:30 PM
Or you could just not tell her
Oh she'd find out, and then it would be hell to pay. That would go over about as well as a turd in the punch bowl.
Or order one from Tim and go down the "helping the kitties" route.
LOL that wouldn't work either. We have 2 cats, both of which were strays, she'd say "We're doing enough to "help the kitties"   :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:13:08 PM
OK, I've begun the "sucking up" phase. Wish me luck.  ;) :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:08:05 AM
Well I think she's going to let me have this one without a fight. I'm hoping she'll get me an engraved one.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 05:10:06 AM
I just wish there was one in a store near me so I could hold it and see for myself if it's too big for pocket carry or not. There's so many things to consider, length, weight, height, width and how smooth it is. I'm worried that if I order it it'll be too big and/or heavy and it won't be used much. I already have 2 multi-tools that are too big for me to pocket carry thus they don't get used much. I don't like wearing sheaths as I always just end up tearing the loops off my pants when I run into stuff. I don't want to spend almost 70 bucks for another tool that won't get much use. I'm sure it's a beautifully made tool but if it's sitting in my drawer or in one of my cars it isn't really doing anything that one of my other tools don't already do.

I might just wait until I actually get the chance to hold one and see, I wish Victorinox would make one about 4" long and under 5.5 ounces. Ugh.  ??? ???

Edited to add: Duh, I just figured out what I'm gonna do. I'll stick my LM Supertool in my pocket for a while. If that works then I KNOW the Spirit will work. It's bigger and heavier than the Spirit.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:26:52 AM by ducktapehero »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:03:44 AM
Quit agonizing over it and buy the thing already!!  :twak:

Heh-heh, just kidding  ;)  Seriously though, it sounds as if the Spirit S would be just what you're looking for.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 12:04:34 PM
Here we have a nice Merlot with a nice Spirit flavor

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 04:53:27 PM
Quit agonizing over it and buy the thing already!!
LOL I use to be an impulse buyer but after my wife showed me once how much money I wasted I became more analytical. My problem now is I over analyze things before I buy. Buying a used car takes over 6 months. Although, after carrying a Supertool for a bit I don't think the size of it will be too much of a problem.

Edited to add. In my further over-analyzing I found someone mentioned this on a Spirit review
When pulling out implements occasionally, the Swisstool outside opening was okay, but when the tool was in and out of action for a sustained period, my thumb would smart  and the nail get ragged.

So my question is are the tools hard to get out? My beat up hands just can't handle that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:01:43 PM by ducktapehero »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 05:27:56 PM
The tools aren't any harder to get out than a regular SAK.  And, the added benefit of the Spirit is that if you don't like it, someone else will happily take it off your hands!

Def

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 05:40:32 PM
The tools aren't any harder to get out than a regular SAK.
Awesome possum.  :multi:

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 06:50:13 PM
The spirit is definately one of the best multitool purchases that I have made.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%