Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What three lights are "must-haves" for flashaholics..?

AHB · 25 · 6420

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:04 PM
I'm all ears..  ;) :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What three lights are "must-haves" for flashaholics..?
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:44 AM
I'm no flashaholic, so I'm not going to give specific makes and models, but I will say that there are three types of lights that I love: the 1xAAA for constant carry on keys, the multi level 1xAA for all-round indoor and outdoor use, and the bright 2xAA or 2xCR123 for outdoors.

Now I know which ones I picked, but I don't have enough lights to compare to say that my choices are any better than other lights out there. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:02 AM
Feel free to list brands, thoughts and experiences, ect.. :tu:
Right now I have the AAA Fenix E01 on my keychain, a AA LD10 in my jacket and a 4xAAA Led Lenser P7 for walking the dog at night..  :)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:02 AM
Feel free to list brands, thoughts and experiences, ect.. :tu:
Right now I have the AAA Fenix E01 on my keychain, a AA LD10 in my jacket and a 4xAAA Led Lenser P7 for walking the dog at night..  :)

I just got my Fenix E01 yesterday and have to say it is the best key chain light I have ever had. I have concerns about it not having anything protecting the bulb but time will tell if it is a valid concern. I can highly recommend the Streamlight Stylus Pro. It runs on 2 AAA batteries and is extremely bright for its size. I have been very, very pleased with both the Streamlight Stylus Pro and Fenix E01.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:52:50 AM
Well my favourite 1xAA ATM is my Jetbeam JET-1 Pro.  Three programmable modes so as you can pick light levels and the order you want them to come in, so you can have hi-med-low, low-hi-med or whatever you might want.
http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/jet1proibs3.aspx

For a 2xAA I love my iTP SA2 Eluma, good thrower and mode memory are the main attractions for me.  Having a variable mode is also a bonus IMO.
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/itp/itp-sa2-eluma.html

For a 1xAAA I'm a bit more torn.  Still really like my old Fenix L0D, great amount of light for such a small light and I like the med-low-hi sequence but could do without the strobe and SOS though.  Mine is a lovely red colour as well (though without the christmas bells). :D
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=65

But I also really like my Monarch 300 far better light than it's statistics suggest I think.  Single level light and tail clicky, sometimes simple is all you need. :)
http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=78&f=18&c=4
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:05 AM
A lot of people would argue that this should include a couple of Ti beauties such as a McGizmo or Steve Ku. This of course means a BIG budget wish list and they are truly gorgeous things, not really for throwing around when walking the dog!

My one indulgence in that league has been a Steve Ku Volere AA which runs on 14500 too. It's absolutely lovely but it's not my EDC when I need to play rough.

Now to more sensible lights. My first choice would be a Lumapower IncenDio, which is an excellent workhorse at a great price and spends most of it's time in my pockets. I'm on my second as a upgraded one came out so I sold the first, but they have all been reliable and quite hardwearing too.

For something a little bigger and brighter, you're hard pushed to beat a Solarforce 6P type clone with the drop-in of your choice. Very cheap even with a decent LED or more spendy if you want something more extravagant. I've got a Solarforce L2P with a Triple XPG R5 drop-in. Very bright and floody and still in a smallish package. I also have another similar one with a newer XML-T6 in it - at about $30 all in it's a good beater. I just like the customisation and easy upgrading you can do with this system.

Third choice would be a Rotary/Variable light of some sort. Most useful way of changing light levels, so great for EDC. I have a Jetbeam TC-R2 in Ti which is large for a CR123 but a really nice light with a superb UI.

I like lights a lot :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 02:10:35 AM
For something a little bigger and brighter, you're hard pushed to beat a Solarforce 6P type clone with the drop-in of your choice. Very cheap even with a decent LED or more spendy if you want something more extravagant. I've got a Solarforce L2P with a Triple XPG R5 drop-in. Very bright and floody and still in a smallish package. I also have another similar one with a newer XML-T6 in it - at about $30 all in it's a good beater. I just like the customisation and easy upgrading you can do with this system.

I was just about to post on those when the red Warning popped up. :D

The Fenix E01 is a must have. It's been around for a few years and people still love it. Solid construction, battery vampire, inexpensive little flashlight. When you see a pocket-dump of a flashoholic with thousands of dollars worth of flaslights collection and a E01 on their keychain, it has to mean something. Also it's nice to have a flshlight you can drop of a 5 story building, frease for a day, cook, smash and still have a working source of light. :tu:

I would say the 4sevens Quark "lego set" is also one of those things a flashoholic should have. Basically it you have one flashlight head and one tail-section and a few different bodies so you can turn your AA into a 2AA or a CR123 or a 2CR123 flashlight(for the last one you should have a head that can take that kind of juice). 

Also for some serious cash you can get the ultimate flashoholics dream. One of those sweet SPY007 Tri-V flashlights.

So a basic model (E01), something to play with (quarks and 6P's) and something to drool about (Spy007). Have fun. :2tu:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 03:56:16 AM
The "low end" options offered seem to be following a theme here :)

I'll say any AAA Fenix light for keychain work. I have an E05, and it's been a faithful companion.

I agree with a quark Lego set. Lots of modes, lots of flexibility with power sources.

A Surefire 6P / Solarforce L2p. Lots of power options, almost infinite dropin options. You can run anything from a quad XP-G dropin for 1500lumens, to a XM-L monster to a 350mA driven battery miser. No flashaholic should be without a good P60 host.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:15:00 AM
My interest are pretty much at the other end of the spectrum to most light users, in that I prefer very long runtimes and plenty of flood :)

As such my three favourites would be...

Gerber Infinity Ultra: Brutally tough and reliable. Momentary function and the ability to run off both AAA and AA. Massive runtime! I got 74 hours of usable light out of one of mine, just of a cheap AA Energiser Alkaline :o

Fenix E01: A torch that you can't work out how they can sell so cheap? Again tough and reliable, great runtime, and dare I say it, much better than the Arc in use, if not in terms of desirability :)

Zebralight H50: Just pure flood with no hotspot :o Cracking light and very reliable (mines been dropped of gantry's, been in flood water, sat on when it's been in my pocket and everything in between!) :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 01:23:10 AM
3:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: flashaholic  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:40:29 AM
My interest are pretty much at the other end of the spectrum to most light users, in that I prefer very long runtimes and plenty of flood :)

Gerber Infinity Ultra: Brutally tough and reliable. Momentary function and the ability to run off both AAA and AA. Massive runtime! I got 74 hours of usable light out of one of mine, just of a cheap AA Energiser Alkaline :o

Fenix E01: A torch that you can't work out how they can sell so cheap? Again tough and reliable, great runtime, and dare I say it, much better than the Arc in use, if not in terms of desirability :)

Zebralight H50: Just pure flood with no hotspot :o Cracking light and very reliable (mines been dropped of gantry's, been in flood water, sat on when it's been in my pocket and everything in between!) :)

I second the E01, but I'd bump the Infinity Ultra to the M class; longer run-time and slightly brighter, too.  For the third light, though, it's all fairgame... I'm really drooling over a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro EX V3.0... I think that's the one. :think:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:08 AM
Another  :tu: for the Fenix E01. Sadly mine's been MIA for about ten months  :-\ I've been using my Fenix L0D ever since. The L0D is a top notch light but sometimes single mode is all you need :D

I think any flashaholic worth their lumens should have a Maglite of some flavour in their possession  :D Extra points for the D cell range  :twak:

One of my favourites is still the Maglite XL100  :tu: It can be a simple on / off light or a complex multi mode light. It does have a few issues but for me it's a really great bit of kit  :tu:

BTW EVERYONE needs a keychain photon on their keys  :pok: If you don't have one then go and order now  :pok: You can buy 10 for about $4 on Dealextreme  :tu:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 10:58:53 AM
I'm going to be very general here.

1 something small to go on your keys 1AAA

2 something to go in your pocket 1AA, 2AA, 1CR123, 2CR123

3 something big and mega bright, think searchlight. Before you all shout "budget!" this won't have to cost the earth. A 2D maglite modded with a Cree XML fits the bill and won't cost the earth to build.

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 02:45:33 PM
BTW EVERYONE needs a keychain photon on their keys   If you don't have one then go and order now   You can buy 10 for about $4 on Dealextreme 
Then I totally agree, probably brought about 100 from DX :) Great keychain!
I apologize for my poor english...

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 03:11:06 PM
Photon Freedom on my keys
Fenix E01 or 05 for pocket carry
Surefire 6P Led with Solarforce L2 tail clicky

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Re: What three lights are "must-haves" for flashaholics..?
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 04:00:27 PM
I'm going to be very general here.
Actually I'm looking for all the hints & tips I can get, so feel free to go into details. :)

Lots of good stuff so far, so keep it coming guys and girls. :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 09:57:47 PM
For my uses, I have settled on Peaks with QTC.

For pocket duty I have an SS #8 Eiger AAA with smooth pocket body that I dropped a QTC pill in.

I have two SS El-Capitan AA with momentary switch on the way for some more oomph when needed.

Peak lights are built like tanks.

That being said, I have pocketed a Fenix E01 since February of 2009 and it has been completely reliable.  Still on the original energizer Lithium battery, too!

I also have a couple of Zebralight sc50w+'s.  These I've only used to play with the UI, no real-world use, but the UI is quite neat.  Very nice designs, IMO, although I will probably flip them when the El-Caps arrive.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 11:36:51 PM
For me, not so much 3 lights, but 3 classes of lights.

1. AAA powered keyring light. ITP A3 in SS serves this purpose for me. Always with me, and powerful enough for 95% of my lighting needs. Also have a Fenix L0D.

2. 1 & 2 AA powered lights, all running off Sanyo Eneloop for cheap running. Have stuff from 4Sevens, Fenix and Nitercore. These are my main users, offering long run times and power on demand if needed.

3. Power lights. For times when a lot of output is required. Also serve as my cold weather lights, as for me, this class of light is CR123A powered. I have Surefire and a new Jetbeam IIIM XML.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Carthas

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:40 PM
1. A Surefire 6P (or C2 or Z2). Bored to fit an 18650 battery. If these are too rich for your blood, then a Solarforce L2T or something equivalent. For this, have at least 1 drop in Malkoff and Nailbender (XM-L LMH 2.8amp LOP) , and an original P60 lamp (to get the warn incan glow, and to appreciate what was cutting edge back in 1987)

2. A HDS EDC Clicky. Either 170 lumen or 200 lumen depending on if you like throw or flood.

3. Either a 4sevens Maelstrom X7, or a Quark AA2 Tactical, to get the appreciation for the value for money that the Chinese made lights are giving.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:50 PM

Ah, a man of my taste... :cheers:

... almost :D I've been carrying a Preon ReVo SS S2 for the last year (or so... :think:) and I've been super happy with it. There also a Zebralight H30-Q5 in my bag, often used as a headlamp. There's also a CC SO-LED on the bag strap (angled so as to light up my steps), and that's about it.

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:20 PM
I'm seriously tempted my the ReVo but that low really is too low to be useful imo :-\

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:08 PM
I know what you mean mate. I was a bit wary when I had ordered it in the first place, but it turned out to be ok for most tasks. As a matter of fact, I've switched to medium only a handful of times so far, and to max only once. The low-med-high sequence was also one of the pluses for me, as I was constantly switching from med to low with the Maratac AAA I used to carry before that.

Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 09:37:29 AM
That's one of the reason's I've always liked 4Sevens gear, is that low is usually the first setting, which is all I really use anyway :)

cn Offline eagle jux

• Keep the heart firm enough at any change!
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 08:10:28 PM
Fenix E01?yes,it't good enough as for a keychain.but wether if there is some one like diving,I suggest Swordfish MO5,it's 500m water resistance,new product,cost $300,work well at any situation and never seak!
I like challenge, I try acme.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 02:31:28 AM
Can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before, considering that I'm a certified flashaholic... I have about a dozen LED lights of different types.

Disclaimer: overly long flashaholic brain-dump to follow.  Little organization or thought put into what is about to be posted.

In general, I agree with the three sizes categorization; keychain sized, pocket sized, and holster sized.

I have been standardizing on AA's and have avoided lights in the CR123 format.  (I prefer AA's and don't think 123's hold any advantage over them, but we can argue about that in another thread.)  So, almost all of my lights use the AA format.  I also have a few lights that use 18650's as well.

I carry at least three lights on me at all times.  My night vision isn't awful, but my wife does make fun of me because apparently when we're out with her scope at star parties and the like, she seems to need less light than I do for basic tasks and navigation.

My keychain light is a Quark Mini-AA neutral white.  I keep it clipped to the ring for my keys with a lobster claw.  I usually run it on an L91 because of the lightweight and high energy density they have, but occasionally use a 14500 in it, which makes it crazy bright; something like 300 lumens OTF.   I don't run it for more than a minute or two on high with the 14500 because there's so little mass in the light, it would be easy to overheat it and fry the emitter.

I have tried using coin cell type lights for my keychain, such as a Photon micro and a Rex, but the micro didn't have enough top end for my likes, and the beam pattern on the Rex was unusable.  I gave the Rex to my wife and she loves it for the combination of small size and high output (about 100 lumens on max), and she doesn't mind the beam pattern.

My pocket EDC light, 95% of the time, is my Zebralight SC50w+.  Fantastic little light.  It's got a neutral-warm tint (about 4,200 K), and can run off of any AA format chemistry, including li-ion 14500.  It gets a nice little top end boost on a 14500 but the run time is about 1/3 of that with an Eneloop, or 1/4 that with an L91.  On nimh or L91's its top end is 107 lumens, with a 14500 it's 169 lumens.  Occasionally, depending on what I'm doing, I'll stick a wrist lanyard on the clip with a lobster claw if I think I'm going to be in a situation where there's a possibility of dropping it.

The newer version is the SC51w with an XPG emitter that that does 170 lumens on a nimh or other AA format cell.  14500 is not officially supported, but some CPF members have reported using them reliably in the light.  Much longer run time than my 50w+.  I am going to get an SC51c with the high CRI emitter soon, and it will replace my 50w+ as my primary pocket light.

For a larger size light, i.e. holster or other carry, I rotate between 2xAA, 4xAA, and 1x18650 based lights.  (I don't currently have any 2x18650 based lights, but that's going to change in the next few weeks.)  In general, the format I choose for this category is task dependent.  For general use or carry in my EDC bag, I typically go with a 2xAA based light or a 1x18650 based unit.  There are tons of good 2xAA based lights out there right now, but a few of my favorites are 4Sevens Quarks, Jetbeam, and EagleTac.

When I choose 2xAA for just general purpose use, I typically carry my 4Sevens Quark AA^2 with a neutral XPG.  Nice balance between flood and throw, and I like the multiple levels it has, though I could really do without the disco modes.  The strobe it has that alternates with the turbo mode when the head is tightened is a nice feature though... useful for alerting drivers who are doing the turning right while looking left thing (I guess in the UK that would be backwards, eh?) so I don't get run over when out walking.

I have gotten away from 2xAA lights though, as 1x18650 has about the same energy density as 3 or 4 AA's.  So typically for a larger, holster carry type light, I use a 1x18650 light, like my Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST, my Zebralight SC60w, or my EagleTac T20.  The Pro ST and the T20 are fairly throwy lights, which I like for a larger, holster carry type of light.  I typically use lights like that when in situations where I want to get a good amount of light downrange.  I also have a Jetbeam PA40 with the true neutral emitter; it has a 5,000K T5 XML in it and runs off of 4xAA, and I always use Eneloops in it.  That light is my general house-light, camping light, utility light, etc.  I also use it for long hikes at night.  It has a nice balance between flood and throw, and is probably the best general use light I have.  It is a bit bulky and requires holster carry, unless you've got some pretty big pockets. 

Right now my typical light compliment is in flux, as I've gotten a few new lights and am still deciding on what works best for me.  For the time being, my Q-Mini AA and my SC50w+ are my main EDC lights that I always have on me.  At other times though, like night hiking, camping, etc., I swap out my 50w+ for the 60w. 

In my EDC bag, I've been carrying a new Preon 2 with a neutral XPG, but I don't care for the tint.  It's nice and bright, and very stylish and professional too; perfect for my work environment because it's not at all tactical looking.  It is a 2xAAA though, which is a departure for me; still not sure yet if I want to keep it or sell it.

I also always carry a larger, holster sized light in my EDC bag as well, and right now the one that's I'm preferring is my Jet III Pro ST.  It's not as bright as some of my other lights, like my SC60w or my PA40, because it's a couple of years old now, but it's a great little thrower, and has been a very tough light.  As already mentioned, for this category I prefer throwier lights, and I love the warmish tint of the Q4/5A XRE that's in my Pro ST.

I'll shut up now; brain-dump over.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%