Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

4) Old/Rare multitool of the month: David Yellowhorse ParaTool

J-sews · 18 · 6959

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
For those familiar with custom Buck and Case knives, David Yellowhorse is a man who needs no introduction. For decades, David and more recently his son Brian have been producing custom knives that have a unique southwestern United States flavor. Many of their designs feature handles of rare desert hardwood and inlays of silver and turquoise, oftentimes with a Navajo Indian theme. These knives have quite a following, and are not generally considered 'users'.

A custom Buck 110, from the Yellowhorse LTD website

In 1995, Yellowhorse Custom Knives and SOG teamed up to produce a special batch of the then-new SOG ParaTool. Each tool came in a walnut presentation box, with a form fitted purple velvet interior.

The tools themselves were given the full Yellowhorse treatment, from top to bottom. All exterior surfaces received a mirror polish, and rounded wooden grips inlayed with turquoise, sterling silver, ironwood, coral, jet, and sugilite were added to each handle. Most striking of all, both handles were deeply acid etched, adding a unique appearance as well as an improved grip to the polished metal surfaces.

Inside, the folding blades remained the same as those of a standard ParaTool.....

....with the exception of the knife blade, which was etched Yellowhorse Custom '95 and given its own serial number.

Function-wise, the SOG S31YH operates just like any other ParaTool, with its unique folding plier head allowing it to reach objects that other plier multitools cannot.

Despite being quite the eye catcher, the Yellowhorse ParaTool did not exactly open to rave reviews. Plenty of folks back in 1995 could appreciate a beautifully decorated knife, but not many quite understood the attraction of a similarly decorated tool. As I recall, our local outdoors shop had a Yellowhorse ParaTool that sat in the display cabinet for years. The price kept dropping every few months or so, until someone finally bought it for $50. By the time I got around to being interested in fancy multitools, it was long gone. I have no idea what the original retail price for one was.

But it does make me wonder: How well would such a tool sell if it were made today? :think:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:37:22 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
That Paratool is beautiful.  :drool:
I'm the milk man!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
 :o :o :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Beautifull!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the post,very interesting!Loved the Buck,but I cant say I liked the Paratool much
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Hey Bob,

Do you want me to run it through the Rocking Horse Farm Testing Facility? :D

Beautiful

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Hey Bob,

Do you want me to run it through the Rocking Horse Farm Testing Facility? :D

Beautiful

Hmmmm.......No. :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Thanks for the post,very interesting!Loved the Buck,but I cant say I liked the Paratool much

I don't blame you Kirk, neither do most folks! :D Me, I like it because of how rare and unusual it is, but I don't really consider it to be an object of beauty or anything like that. Good looking knives and multitools are all about function over form to me, and that's not exactly the Yellowhorse philosophy ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I too like the look on the Buck, but think the Paratool crosses the line into 'vulgar'.  Not knocking it as a bit of MT history Bob, but it's just not my cup of tea. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
It is a totally ridiculous looking thing IMO but I still really like it enjoyed seeing one again :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Those handles look an awful lot like the famous Oupa Dirk Melted Soldiers:

I think one of the things I don't like about this one (I can appreciate it from a collectible standpoint, but it doesn't appeal to me) is that the fancy, decorative work looks like it's just stuck on the sides, while the decorative scales are actually part of the knife.  One gets the feeling that you could buy a strip of decorative stuff, glue them on then beat the handles with a small hammer and call it art.

I still want one though...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: 4) Old/Rare multitool of the month: David Yellowhorse ParaTool
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:02 AM
That's one tarty paratool. 8) Maybe a bit ott but when you choose to pimp a MT, you might as well go all
in.
Great looking SAK Def..

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:50 AM
I periodically do a search on eBay for that tool. That is how I came across this for a price that I couldn't pass it up.

Bob, that one is definitely one for the weird books.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:53 AM
Thanks Dan :D

By the way, that buck of yours is fabulous :tu: (not for everyone obviously, but fabulous nonetheless) :salute: And it looks like your display box is the same one used with the Paratool?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 01:45:41 AM
That's one tarty paratool. 8) Maybe a bit ott but when you choose to pimp a MT, you might as well go all
in.
Great looking SAK Def..

It is a pretty SAK- not mine though.  This concept was originally done by a gent name Dirk Potigier, better known as Oupa.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:12 AM
Bob,

I find it interesting that your Yellowhorse Paratool has a riveted lanyard flipper thingy.  I thought it was well after 95 when the change was made to a rivet. 

Bruce

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:35 AM
I found that rather perplexing too Bruce. ??? Must be they made the change to a rivet sooner than we'd thought. :think:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:33 AM
$50  :think: :think:. I would grab one of those in a heart beat  ::) :D :D.
I suspect they go for a tad more than $50 now days  :think: :D :D.

'Interesting' styling on that Para  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

bn Offline jojotlc

Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:53 AM
these are works of art...no doubt..for display set piece :o  nice to fondle once a while.
being like Charge 25th sterling silver and its more pricier silverware.

good stuffs.. high :drool: factor
btw, with yearly CPI.. it could worth ten times now!
Inner Peace  8-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD