Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love left for the Victorinox Champion?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
on: October 17, 2011, 04:00:05 AM
Amici,
Just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone still carries the now defunct Champion, mentor to the Swiss Champ. Although they've been discontinued for quite some time, they still seem to be superfluous enough to be be able to obtain at a very reasonable price plus in brand new condition.

so with all the talk of those who still prefer to carry Victorinox models that have gone the way of the do do bird some time ago, anyone still EDC a Champion?

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

br Offline edursr

Re: Any love left for the Victorinox Champion?
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:12 AM
 ???
I didn't know that Victorinox already stoped doing the Champions... I really like this model
I prefer it over the SwissChamp, the pliers makes this one too heavy and those are not really usefull(I prefer Wenger's pliers).

well, I better buy and extra one while we can still find it NIB  :D

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:12 AM
The original Champions have been discontinued for some time but Victorinox re-issued them awhile back as Champion PLUS and there are still quite a few of those around.
T

england Offline macabee

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:32 AM
I bought a champion many years ago in Switzerland, it came with the SOS pouch. Whilst it is heavier than most SAKs and was probably considered too much for a belt carry EDC, the champion is however lighter than the average all steel multitool,ie LM, SOG and the swisstool.

I would say that here in the UK where the average multitool with a locking blade is a no no for an EDC, the champion has a lot going for it, it's tools make it a match for most, coupled with the fact that a SAK is considered far less of a threat to the average person than most knives.

Your average street gang member, would not probably not be seen carrying a SAK, which are seen as the preserve of old gits such as myself, and boy scouts for getting stones out of horses hoofs.

So yes I still love my Champion :drink:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:25 AM
I carry my C-plus everyday when I go to town! I luv it. I never was a pliers fan (in any size) for carry.

I use the pen all the time!  rotokid I need refills! :ahhh :P

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:07 AM
Well, I am a fan of the Victorinox Pliers (am I the only one? :think:), so I prefer the SwissChamp. Or rather, I prefer the CyberTool 34 :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:18 AM
Well, I am a fan of the Victorinox Pliers (am I the only one? :think:), so I prefer the SwissChamp. Or rather, I prefer the CyberTool 34 :)

they work and are a nice tool but I just never needed them (like some do) and they are "cute" lol

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:47 AM
I like the pliers too, they have their place - my dad borrowed my CT41 to dig a pin out of a tyre, he was going to use the blade to pry it out ( :twak:) but I showed him the pliers, and they were just right for that job.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:22:32 AM
Well, I think I have 5 of them......and 2 that were lost/stolen....so I have owned a grand total of 7 since the first one I bought at age 14.

It has been by EDC knife since I was 14.   Never go anywhere without it.

In fact, over here in the soon to be defunct Mesopotamian sandbox, I use it every day, even though I have 2x Benchmade automatics, 1x SOG Power Plier EOD tool, and 1x Vic Soldier 2009.  And, it was my EDC last time I was here in 2003.

When the rubber meets the road, the Champion circa 1984 (my guess) is either in my pocket or on my belt.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:32 PM
Once a Champion, always a Champion.  Keep Rockin'  :cheers:

england Offline macabee

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 06:20:29 PM
All this talk of Champions, made me decide to by a swisschamp to keep the champion company..

The wife listened and her eyes rolled skywards, is this a common reaction   :rofl:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 07:33:30 PM
All this talk of Champions, made me decide to by a swisschamp to keep the champion company..

The wife listened and her eyes rolled skywards, is this a common reaction   :rofl:

I'd like to say; it gets better. :tu:  Sadly I'd be lying. ;)

I really like the Champion myself, though I probably carry my SwissChamp more.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:10:41 PM

Of course you need a SwissChamp, that goes without saying, we can respect the past champions while supporting the new ones. 

I recommend you get one with Horn scales (beautiful), you can't get those on the Champion and my recent ones have come with the Stainless-Steel file which you don't get on a Champion and it seems it's still hit-and-miss if you get it on a SwissChamp. 

New champions like spending time with their predecessors.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:19 PM
I have a used (pre 1986?) Champion which I got from Tim a while back. It's not seen any pocket duty with me yet, but it's getting teamed up with a SOG Japanese Toolclip in a Maxped mini EDC pouch. Just trying to configure the rest of the loadout before it sees active duty. Irwin 4" mini vicegrips are also in there at the minute but not sure if they'll be there for good  :think:

I like it - but I personally feel I need to pair it up with something else  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:58:54 PM
I have a used (pre 1986?) Champion which I got from Tim a while back. It's not seen any pocket duty with me yet, but it's getting teamed up with a SOG Japanese Toolclip in a Maxped mini EDC pouch. Just trying to configure the rest of the loadout before it sees active duty. Irwin 4" mini vicegrips are also in there at the minute but not sure if they'll be there for good  :think:

I like it - but I personally feel I need to pair it up with something else  :salute:
For happy travels,  in the US the best thing to pair with a Champion is a Franklin.  I'm sure you could find a substitue over there.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 11:01:40 PM

For happy travels,  in the US the best thing to pair with a Champion is a Franklin.  I'm sure you could find a substitue over there.
OK, that sounds like a local term. :think:  Can you expand on it for the rest of the world? :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:54 PM
I have a old champion, though not sure what year. It's kinda big for me but I like it none the less. Once it's repaired I plan on keeping it in the edc bag as a backup.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 12:25:57 AM

OK, that sounds like a local term. :think:  Can you expand on it for the rest of the world? :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:54 AM
One of these then?

it's certainly a good place to start I'd say. :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05:26 AM
One of these then?

(Image removed from quote.)

it's certainly a good place to start I'd say. :D
:drool: Oooh, I could always use some of those! :D Back to topic (an odd idea around here, i know...) I think the Champion Plus is great. I carry mine in a small pouch I found at a flea market, a cell phone pouch actually which fits the Champ perfectly. Great knife for stand alone carry, or I'll pair it with a Skeletool or the Octane on occasion.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:54 AM

Unfortunately I tend to be parted with things like that very quickly  :P Besides I think the wire cutters are better on the SOG, and the SOG can be used more than once  :D

I do like pairing tools up, and the Champion has just been waiting for the right match. I think the Toolclip is a worthy companion

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 06:22:27 PM
sorry to dig up an old thread but I prefer the champion plus over the swisschamp due to the slimmer pocket carry and I usually carry a small set of channellocks with a sak anyway.

I now own a new champion plus thanks to this forum.

I also own an older model grey magnifier champion and a new model swisschamp

I need a pic ofmy 2 champions
sling sc.jpg
* sling sc.jpg (Filesize: 109.35 KB)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 06:29:08 PM
I bought one on eBay accidentally thinking it was a SwissChamp.  I was young and stupid.   :facepalm:

It is a fine knife, no doubt, but once I've committed to that kind of weight/size, I can't see ever choosing a Champion over a Swiss Champ.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 06:32:53 PM
As the pliers are one of my favorite tools, I would definitely not want a Champion.
SAW

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 06:53:06 PM
As the pliers are one of my favorite tools, I would definitely not want a Champion.

+1 The 91mm pliers are so exceptional, why carry that big without them? I would even choose a Craftsman, Handyman or Troubleshooter over the Champion because of this. Exceptions for me are the older Champions made before the pliers were developed, those are way cool.  :tu:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 08:49:46 PM
I use those pliers all the time.  They are no substitute for a pliers based multi, but they serve an entirely different purpose for me.  I am constantly using them as a grabbing device.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 09:01:53 PM
I have no particular interest for the 91mm SAK pliers. When I need pliers, I tend to need something more substantial. I also have no interest in the fish tickler, but it being there is of no significant detriment. Overall though, even though it has the pliers, I'd probably choose the CT41 over the Swisschamp or Champion

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:30 PM
I have no particular interest for the 91mm SAK pliers. When I need pliers, I tend to need something more substantial. I also have no interest in the fish tickler, but it being there is of no significant detriment. Overall though, even though it has the pliers, I'd probably choose the CT41 over the Swisschamp or Champion

:rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 10:21:05 PM
I liked the C+ I got last week. (a steal of a deal) For all of 3 days till I deconstructed it turning it into a Ranger, with spare parts for other projects. In all honesty it's not to large, but not a light weight either.
I'd buy another...for parts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD