Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love left for the Victorinox Champion?

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Re: Any love left for the Victorinox Champion?
Reply #150 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:25 AM
Love mine! It's an 03-04 model slapped some newer scales and a key clip on it and carry it daily!
20191005_171817.jpg
* 20191005_171817.jpg (Filesize: 162.87 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #151 on: October 08, 2019, 02:32:12 PM
Looking good.  I gave mine last Champs to a member for his kids.  Its a great SAK for sure.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #152 on: October 08, 2019, 06:56:15 PM
I love my old Champion!!  :like:

Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #154 on: October 09, 2019, 12:07:38 AM
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: November 25, 2019, 01:44:56 AM
My mid-1990's Champion (no plus scales) is my go-to for the outdoors.

I rarely anticipate needing the pliers on the SwissChamp so I bring it out less often.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #156 on: June 08, 2020, 02:55:18 PM
Well I finally have another Champion.  I had a couple in the past but gave them away.  Its doesn't have the hook which I like and no plus scales which can be remedied.  After a little carry time yesterday I had a rush of excitement that I didn't when I first got one years back.  Its such a terrific SAK.  Pics to follow.  Got it from a local guy who was slimming down his carry to 3 or 2 layers. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: June 08, 2020, 03:31:59 PM
Pics.
IMG_0758.jpg
* IMG_0758.jpg (Filesize: 260.99 KB)
IMG_0759.jpg
* IMG_0759.jpg (Filesize: 248.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Turbo T Terry

Reply #158 on: June 08, 2020, 04:04:33 PM
I carry my Champion Plus when I travel, along with a pair of mini Knipex pliers. I’ve only ever used the fish scaler as a ruler, but I use the magnifying glass and inline Phillips quite often, so the Champion is worth the extra width and weight vs a Ranger.
Personally I think the Champion is an underrated tool, and I like the combination of it and the Knipex vs a pliers based multitool.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #159 on: June 08, 2020, 04:24:57 PM
 :salute:.  Early in my SAK journey I leaned towards the Swisschamp because of the pliers ( super tweezers ).  Over time I realized while the pliers are nice they are limited.  I much prefer the Squirt plier for a small yet much more capable plier.  I am a huge fan of the Explorer for the two tools you mention, mag glass and inline phillips. 

I picked up a Ranger again.  I had one and likely due to my SC love at the time it was moved on.  As mentioned I had a couple Champions but moved them on as well.  Its my Explorer that in the back of my mind that is the bar of what a great SAK is.  The combination of mag glass and inline just keeps me going back to it.  The Ranger while great falls short due to lack of those tools.

I do love the older SAKs without hook.  I'm happy I can compare these tools I have.  The are non hook versions.   
SC/Champion/Ranger/Explorer

I feel I can now say with confidence the Mag Glass/Inline Phillips/Scissor is a trio I rather not do without.  The addition of the file/saw just amps up the wonderfulness of the Champion. 

IMG_0761.jpg
* IMG_0761.jpg (Filesize: 253.44 KB)
IMG_0762.jpg
* IMG_0762.jpg (Filesize: 94.57 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #160 on: June 08, 2020, 07:28:16 PM
While not an EDC or pocket carry for me, I love the Champion as a travel companion. I've been quarantining in Maine for the 2.5 months and have pretty much used every tool at least once :tu:

champ.JPG
* champ.JPG (Filesize: 120.51 KB)

Offline Turbo T Terry

Reply #161 on: June 08, 2020, 08:54:50 PM
Ironically if they still made the Modeler I wouldn’t have purchased my Champion for travel or the Mountaineer that is my edc, but sadly they do not.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: June 08, 2020, 11:25:51 PM
:salute:.  Early in my SAK journey I leaned towards the Swisschamp because of the pliers ( super tweezers ).  Over time I realized while the pliers are nice they are limited.  I much prefer the Squirt plier for a small yet much more capable plier.  I am a huge fan of the Explorer for the two tools you mention, mag glass and inline phillips. 

I picked up a Ranger again.  I had one and likely due to my SC love at the time it was moved on.  As mentioned I had a couple Champions but moved them on as well.  Its my Explorer that in the back of my mind that is the bar of what a great SAK is.  The combination of mag glass and inline just keeps me going back to it.  The Ranger while great falls short due to lack of those tools.

I do love the older SAKs without hook.  I'm happy I can compare these tools I have.  The are non hook versions.   
SC/Champion/Ranger/Explorer

I feel I can now say with confidence the Mag Glass/Inline Phillips/Scissor is a trio I rather not do without.  The addition of the file/saw just amps up the wonderfulness of the Champion.

:salute:

I realize that since both my SC and Champion were gifts, they're both hard to "give up". 

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #164 on: June 09, 2020, 12:39:51 AM
 :salute: Thank you.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #165 on: July 08, 2020, 07:37:14 PM
Just popping back in to say I am still carrying my Champion frequently.  I enjoy it quite a lot.  I pair it with my Squirt which for me is wonderful.  Its noticeable weight/width wise as compared to my most carried SAK, my Explorer, but not unmanageable.  I like having the extra capability even if its only having it rather than "needing" it. 

Really glad I picked one up.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #166 on: July 09, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
I don't blame you Aloha.  It's a toolset that's hard to top!
Barry

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #167 on: July 11, 2020, 10:05:58 AM
Have a look onto the past!

Champion with wood scales.
IMG_20200711_095444-01.jpeg
* IMG_20200711_095444-01.jpeg (Filesize: 142.91 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #168 on: July 11, 2020, 04:42:46 PM
Nice!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #169 on: September 18, 2020, 06:19:05 PM
More love for the Champion.  Weird thing, I gave away black and red scaled Champions to a member for his kids.  I now have a black to add to my red Champion.  Funny how that worked. 

I picked up this black one recently with sheath for $20.  They guy used it pretty good and colored the sheath black.  He did a bad job at sharpening the main blade but that was remedied. 

I'll saddle soap the sheath then treat with mink oil and call it good.  I'm really liking the Champion a lot.  When I had them I was not the biggest fan of carrying them.  While I always like the Champion it just didn't connect with me.  Over the years however I got curious then I picked one up and really bonded with it.  This one will be my constant work tool. 

I especially like the no hook version which is neat cause thats what I believe I originally had. 

IMG_1321.jpg
* IMG_1321.jpg (Filesize: 162.86 KB)
IMG_1322.jpg
* IMG_1322.jpg (Filesize: 227.5 KB)
IMG_1323.jpg
* IMG_1323.jpg (Filesize: 213.23 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline DavZell

Reply #170 on: February 21, 2021, 12:11:56 AM
I am wondering why some people prefer the no-hook version of the Champion.  Does it affect the frontside in any way? 

Thanks, David
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #171 on: February 21, 2021, 12:32:28 AM
I don't think it effects the frontside  :dunno:.  I dont use the hook and while it sits quietly most times I seemed to have picked up several SAKs without the hook for no other reason like them this way. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #172 on: February 21, 2021, 01:13:31 AM
I am wondering why some people prefer the no-hook version of the Champion.  Does it affect the frontside in any way? 

Thanks, David

I'm in favor of packing as much stuff as possible into any layer you've got, so I'm happy to have a hook, and anything else they include.

I just picked up a Champion in the batch of 7 that I had Ebay send directly to my dear old dad. He'll check it out along with the others, and we'll see what to do with them. They're all in bad shape, but I'm not sure just how bad.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: February 21, 2021, 02:55:15 AM
I'm in favor of packing as much stuff as possible into any layer you've got, so I'm happy to have a hook, and anything else they include.

I just picked up a Champion in the batch of 7 that I had Ebay send directly to my dear old dad. He'll check it out along with the others, and we'll see what to do with them. They're all in bad shape, but I'm not sure just how bad.

I agree here... when it comes to the Champ(ion)... pack it in... let no space go to waste.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #174 on: February 21, 2021, 04:42:40 AM
Love mine! It's an 03-04 model slapped some newer scales and a key clip on it and carry it daily!

My Champion is my first true SAK love. It replaced a Huntsman. It is a great SAK and I carry it once a week. My Cybertool L replaced it only because I needed the variety of driver heads for new technology and for my better half’s electric bike maintenance.

Find a CHAMPION a partner like my EVO 557 with pliers and wrench suite and you are a threat to resolve an issue without a tool box any where any time.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #175 on: February 21, 2021, 03:57:13 PM
 :tu: :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #176 on: June 29, 2021, 06:11:41 PM

I picked up on this thread today and had to comment because I've had the same thoughts lately.  I've been considering doing "The BIG One" challenge and tried carrying a Swiss Champ for a few days, and it seems a bit wasteful for my uses.  I then started considering the Ranger and Champion and carried each of them for a few days, felt really comfortable with the Champion and will carry it with a Mini when the Supertool challenge is done.  Like you, I miss the phillips/mag layer in a 91mm if I don't have it, and nearly all of my users do.

I'm also considering doing a mod of a Swiss Champ that gives me a SAK in-between the Ranger and the Champion--one that has all of the backspring tools of the Swiss Champ and Ranger, but the pliers and scaler removed.  Or, I may just do a Champion with backspring tools since I do use the scaler on rare occasions as a ruler and it sure doesn't take up much room since there it shares liner space with the saw.

I'll try to post some pics of my Hoffritz Champions this evening.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:20:51 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #177 on: June 29, 2021, 06:32:53 PM
I'm also considering doing a mod of a Swiss Champ that gives me a SAK in-between the Ranger and the Champion--one that has all of the backspring tools of the Swiss Champ and Ranger, but the pliers and scaler removed.
Do you mean like this?

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87387.msg2244360.html#msg2244360
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #178 on: June 29, 2021, 06:47:14 PM
Yes.  But, it will be somewhat easier starting with a Swiss Champ.  Or, at least I should be able to use the pin stock from the Champ.

Edit: after reading your thread though, maybe I should start with longer pin stock to avoid issues.

Thanks!
- Terry

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #179 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:15 PM
You’re welcome. Reusing the pins from the champ is a good idea. Might be a bit fiddly but doable. Check out Helvética Bold’s handyman conversion. He did it all first and better than me.

I have to say that you’re on to a winner though. It is still a bit of a handful but an almost perfect toolset.  :like:
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44