Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Victorinox Magnifying glass

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:28 PM
Amici,
Does anyone know whne it was that Victorinox went ahead and changed their style of magnifying glass from the what I like to call the two piece model consisting of the solid gray plastic frame and seperate lens, to the one piece fits all clear plastic variant?

Also, what are your opinions of this change? Although I haven't handled one as if yet, to me it seems pretty cheap and flimsy looking. Something you wouldn't normally see on a precision made Victorinox SAK, but would seem to be more at home on a Wenger (forgive me) or some cheap Southeast Asian knockoff.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Victorinox Magnifying glass
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:23:07 PM
The change happened in 2004.  The older lens was a x8 magnification, the new is x5.  I've had no issue with any SAK with the new style lens and I'll go so far as to say that I prefer it due to the wider field of vision you get (larger diameter lens). 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:49:57 PM
I prefer the older one...esp. in the looks department.

The newer, clear one just doesn't look right.  Plus, 5x new vs. 8x older, prefer the older power.

Now, the ONE thing I have yet to accomplish, and have tried before, is starting a fire with it.  Bigger hand held mag. glasses are easy...the SAK one is harder, but possible, to use to start a fire with.
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:21:36 PM
The change happened in 2004.  The older lens was a x8 magnification, the new is x5.  I've had no issue with any SAK with the new style lens and I'll go so far as to say that I prefer it due to the wider field of vision you get (larger diameter lens).

I've only got two SAKs with mag glass and they're both old style. I did get a new swisschamp for a mate though and I'd agree the new style is clearer albeit not magnified as strongly

Now, the ONE thing I have yet to accomplish, and have tried before, is starting a fire with it.  Bigger hand held mag. glasses are easy...the SAK one is harder, but possible, to use to start a fire with.

I struck my mag glass with a piece of flint for about ten minutes and never got a single spark off it  :-\

:P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline bren10man

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:57 PM

I struck my mag glass with a piece of flint for about ten minutes and never got a single spark off it  :-\
 :P

Hmmm...I wonder why???? :think: :rofl: :twak:
MOLON LABE!

za Offline meanx

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:08:51 PM
I prefer the older one...esp. in the looks department.

The newer, clear one just doesn't look right.  Plus, 5x new vs. 8x older, prefer the older power.

I've tried that many a times and can say with all certainty its impossible to start a fire with a SAK magnifying glass, it can hardly burn a hole in a piece of toilet paper let alone start a fire, a normal magnifying glass can burn a hole in toilet paper in 2 sec. I've tried lots of different flammable materials its simply a no go even on the brightest of days, and if somebody shows me a YouTube video of it, I still won't believe it  :D
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:46 PM
Where do I put the butane gas :think:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:43 PM
thank goodness I have my trusty swissflame to start a...oh wait a second  :salute:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:01:32 PM
thank goodness I have my trusty swissflame to start a...oh wait a second  :salute:

I have 5 of them, but that is as useless as having just one :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:53:45 PM
Add water to the top of the mag glass to increase the surface area and it should work.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%