Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Warranty. Repaired or replaced?

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: October 17, 2011, 09:55:12 PM
I want to get a old champion repaired. The possibility that it may not be able to be repaired exist. Should I opt for a new replacement or keep the old one? 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Warranty. Repaired or replaced?
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:17 PM
What's wrong with it?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:38:29 PM
Liners bad, long nail file missing, possibly broken backsprings.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:21 PM
The Climber with long nail file is still available, so I guess they should have spare nail files... not sure about the other parts :think:

I believe they still repair knives >80 years old by the way :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:46 PM
Well either way I want it repaired. If they can't do it then I will. Shouldn't be that hard considering how many mods I've done. Lol.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:17 PM
Oh btw where do I find that climber with long nail file?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:11:12 PM
Well they are still in a European catalog, I think it was a German one. But my local dealer ordered the last 2 for me from Ibach a year ago so I may be wrong :think:
And sousterre1 has one for sale but you have seen that thread.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:58 AM
By the time you pay for the long file Climber + shipping to the US, you're looking at $60+. Not worth it for a parts knife IMO. Another problem is that, depending on the year of your Champion, the files might not be the same. Earlier 91mm files (1952-1968 give or take) have the nail nick to the rear* of the knife. Newer long files (1968+) have it to the front* of the knife. This is why pre-69 Champions have the scissors next to the main blade, and post-68 Champions have them next to the opener layer.

I'd scan eBay for a good parts knife. Damaged Champions, Huntmans, and Climbers usually go for < $20. If this is for an EDC and you don't care about the very tip of the file, I have one from a parts knife you can have for free. It's the older style from a 52-68 Champion.

* rear = part with the main blade and corkscrew/Phillips. Front = side with opener layer and logo.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:53:46 AM
I want to get a old champion repaired. The possibility that it may not be able to be repaired exist. Should I opt for a new replacement or keep the old one?

My story: I got my wife a Deluxe Tinker for our first Christmas together in 2002 (she REALLY wanted "sparkles"- that is her code for diamonds..esp. the one on the left ring finger.....I explained why not, and that is another story in itself).   Anyways, the scales one way or the other melted.  I sent knife back to Victorinox for repair (If I had known then how easy it is to replace scales, that would not have happened).

Few weeks later, box arrives.   

Nope, no repaired Deluxe Tinker.  Instead, a BRAND NEW 1985 and back Champion (or one someone sent to get repaired like me).  WHOOPS!!!!

I told her: Champion is mine....and I got her a Wenger EVO-16 at Cabella's in KC, KS.   All are pleased.

Moral of the story: sending things to Victorinox for repair is a guess....you may or may not get what you sent in for repair.

I would get with Felinevet or E-bay, and get a replacement knife.  Retire the older one. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:55:26 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:43 AM
By the time you pay for the long file Climber + shipping to the US, you're looking at $60+. Not worth it for a parts knife IMO. Another problem is that, depending on the year of your Champion, the files might not be the same. Earlier 91mm files (1952-1968 give or take) have the nail nick to the rear* of the knife. Newer long files (1968+) have it to the front* of the knife. This is why pre-69 Champions have the scissors next to the main blade, and post-68 Champions have them next to the opener layer.

I'd scan eBay for a good parts knife. Damaged Champions, Huntmans, and Climbers usually go for < $20. If this is for an EDC and you don't care about the very tip of the file, I have one from a parts knife you can have for free. It's the older style from a 52-68 Champion.

* rear = part with the main blade and corkscrew/Phillips. Front = side with opener layer and logo.

Thanks for the offer. You got a pick of it?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%