Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tac Gardening

Doc · 6 · 579

us Offline Doc

Tac Gardening
on: January 08, 2020, 05:11:46 AM
I have always found it interesting how many ways you can use tools for unintended purposes, with varying degrees of success.  However, today I used a tool that, although advertised for a particular purpose, served phenomenally in a completely different realm and it seemed as if it had been designed for it.  I’m referring to the Becker BK3 Tac Tool.  Although somewhat of a Becker-head, I put off buying the BK3 until last year because I couldn’t really think of a use to justify it (as if that’s really ever a consideration), but after reading several reviews touting its abilities for opening boxes, tearing down pallets, etc., I figured such abilities justified having one around the house.  However, while doing some yard work today I was fiddling through the tool collection to find something to do some hand edging around a plant bed and instead of grabbing a long handled edger, I grabbed the BK3.  That thing performed as if it was designed for that particular purpose.  It sliced through a patch of overgrown weeds and vines like it was moving through soft sand.  I was then on a roll.  I used it to dig up some weeds, and the line cutter built into the blade that in most reviews is pointed out as useless is absolutely perfect for slicing through 1/4-1/2” vines.  So, if any of you use hand tools for yards work, throw away those hori-horis, trowels, clippers, etc., and start Tac-gardening with the BK3.  Plus, it makes gardening just a bit more manly.
That’s gonna leave a mark.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Tac Gardening
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:10 AM
 Great to hear that it worked so well :salute: I always love to incorporate a MT or knife when I am gardening or working in my yard :tu: :iagree:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:24:30 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 03:02:25 PM
 :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 04:14:58 PM
Had to look up that tool.   Glad it worked out for unintended purposes tho I'm not at all surprised.  Sure looks to be a good tool for a lot of unintended purposes.  Can't wait to see what else it'll do for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:57 PM
The BK-3 is one tool I intend to replace my Camillus USA MKII "Kabar" with due to being designed for chopping and rough usage. I personally use the Kabar for gardening and yard work. Handles everything I throw at it. I recommend Kabar's hard sheath, not the leather one. Someone, before I owned the knife, modified the swedge to have a sharp edge, thus it was starting to wear through the leather. Most importantly, I can just hose down the plastic sheath.

My grandmother mostly uses a family heirloom butcher knife for garden work, and I guess the Kabar was an evolution from that. While, a Mora is a good CUTTING tool the Kabar is a whole heck of a lot more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%