Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Wingman...Questions, Comments,....... Suggestions.

Zatx · 29 · 5694

Offline Zatx

on: October 20, 2011, 08:36:39 PM
Picked up a Wingman today from Big Orange.  I'm going to share some of my observations and impressions, so sit back, relax, and enjoy.

Initial impressions:  Love the fit and finish.  The stamped metal while apparently cheaper than the normal Leatherman offerings, feels better in the hand to me.  The finish is satin, yet slick (more on that later).  The smoothness of the finish lets the Wingman slide in and out of your pocket quickly.

Tool offerings are just about exactly what I look for in a multi-tool.  Since I just got the tool I haven't really had a chance to try them out to see how well they work or how well they will hold up.

I really can't believe this tool is less than $25.00.  That is only $5.00 more than the Micra was listed at the retailer where I bought it.  I think Leatherman has a new best seller on their hands with this one.  I think a lot of people own Leatherman Waves because they were a gift from someone.  At this price point lots of people are going to be getting these for Birthdays and Christmases.  Lord knows just about everyone in my extended family will be getting these from me this year.

And now on to the stuff that just seems... wierd, or not right.

The knife blade was ground wrong.  The serrations are on the wrong side.  I thought maybe this was just a quirk of Leatherman combo blades since I had never owned a combo blade from them.   Then I compared my tool to the knife on the back of the package.  The serrations are indeed on the wrong side.

That is really odd.  Not sure how something so blatant slips through Quality Control.  You gotta think it happened to more than just my blade.

Now on to the pliers....

First of all I love the spring operated pliers.  This should be standard on all Leathermans going forward.  They have some drawbacks though.  First off the cutters are not offset.  So when attempting to cut something they do not come into contact.  Fully closed the cutters do not touch, there is a small gap between them.

The second issue is the design of the handles in combination with the slick finish of the handle.  As you apply pressure to close the pliers your hand slips up the handles toward the plier head (as indicated by the red arrows in the picture).

Again I haven't used them yet, but this appears awkward.

Last, and probably least is the new box cutter.  You either love it or hate it.  Personally I love it.  It has a strange home in the tool though (assuming you are going to use the tool).  If you need to open a box you are probably going to use the cutter for what... 5  or 10 seconds?  And when you want to open a box you want to open it... right... now.  Well the cutter is not an outside opening tool.  So you have to open up the multi-tool open the cutter, use it, then close it all back up again.  That process will probably take longer than opening whatever box you just opened.

I'm going to attempt to move the cutter out to where the current backwards serrated blade is because I carry a dedicated knife (CRK Sebenza) already and will probably never use the blade.

All in all this is a great tool and a phenomenal value.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Re: The Wingman...Questions, Comments,....... Suggestions.
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:47:24 PM
Well, I'll be darned.

I went and looked at mine which was also purchased from HD yesterday, and you're right; yours is a mirror image. Here's mine:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:11 PM
Finally one for the lefties. :) Wish they could do that to the can opener, although I'm pretty good at it now, even in reserve grip.

Offline Zatx

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:43:46 PM
Well 10 minutes with the right tool and I give you a modded Wingman.

The blade was completely removed.  It would not fit in the place that the package opener came out of.  All tools (that were left) open, close, and lock properly.

The package opener even locks open, though the last picture illustrates how it does not come all the way out in a parallel line like the knife blade did.  I'm sure that if I took another 10 minutes and spent that time with a grinding wheel I could get it to open out all the way just like the blade did.  It is only the profile of the back of the opener at the pivot that prevents this.

Gotta love tools that us newbies can modify.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:45:37 PM by Zatx »

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:35 PM
I dont have one, but are the serrations on the other side to add ease of sharpening based upon the knife's position in the tool? That and does it really matter which side they're on?
Actually, based on the pix, they even changed the style of the serrations... Mid production?... Wierd
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:49:57 PM by Accujohn »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:05 PM
The knife blade was ground wrong.  The serrations are on the wrong side.  I thought maybe this was just a quirk of Leatherman combo blades since I had never owned a combo blade from them.   Then I compared my tool to the knife on the back of the package.  The serrations are indeed on the wrong side.

(Image removed from quote.)

As a rightie I prefer the blade on chisel ground andcombo edged blades to be exactly as your photo rather than the packaging. Why? Pencil sharpening is a good example. That way round it works as a chisel should. most people tend to cut away from themselves and the short secondary grind then clearance above with a continual underside is the way it should be IMO if you're only putting a grind on one side. For me it's the way that's shown on the packaging that's backwards - more common yes - but backwards  :P

Nice overview though  :tu:, and like the external package opener. Personally I prefer ALL tools to be outside and ease of tool access is a big thing for me  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:01:45 PM
Thanks for the nice write-up of the Wingman!

Question about the package opener - does it look like it's just for cardboard boxes?  Do you think it can safely cut through clam-shell packs?
Who knows...

us Offline RayzBladz

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:45:26 AM
And are my old eyes failing me or have they stopped using the security torx screws and started using standard torx?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:03 AM
Security torx probably cost more:)

Offline Zatx

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:07 AM
Yep they are standard torx!

The package opener is actually very sharp.  I think it would do fine on a clamshell while it is still that sharp. 

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:23 AM
Excellent information, thanks.
:)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:00 PM
Btw: i just noticed that my MUT has its serrations on the opposite side as well. Looks like this is an option for manufacture rather than mistake

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 03:12:47 AM
I'm very pleased with my new Wingman.  At about $25, I would say it's the best multitool value I've ever owned by a longshot.   :D

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:48 AM
well worth $25
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Offline Zatx

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:09 PM
No doubt it is a supreme value at $25.

I keep expected Leatherman to say "Oooops... we screwed up, it's supposed to be $49.99.

It would still be a value at that price too lol.

Offline shecky

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:25 AM
My Wingman has security torx screws on the blade/scissor side, normal torx on the other. Have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the design.

Offline Zatx

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:55 PM
UPDATE: I received a phone call and email from Shellee at Leatherman today. (How great is it for a company to actually call about a warranty issue??) She explained the the serrations on the other side of the blade was a design change and it was intended.

Guess they need to update the packaging as well.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 12:51:18 AM
UPDATE: I received a phone call and email from Shellee at Leatherman today. (How great is it for a company to actually call about a warranty issue??) She explained the the serrations on the other side of the blade was a design change and it was intended.

Guess they need to update the packaging as well.

Dang that kind of disappoints me.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 02:14:44 AM
I will have to buy another tool in a couple months now:-)

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:38 AM
Oooh!  Ooooh!

Does that mean my Wingman with the original grind style is now a collectible?!? I'm takin' offers!

I'm thinking a trade for a Charge AL or a Crunch sounds good.  :rofl:

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 05:37:20 AM
I'm debating with myself of swapping parts between and Wingman and the Sidekick.  I like the straight edge blade better than a combo blade.  I also don't have a need for a can/bottle opener and would like to replace it with the small serrated blade that is on the Sidekick.  And the last tool to swap would be replacing the wood saw with the scissors.  So basically the Wingman with a staight edge blade and scissors.  In the handles the philips and straight screw drivers as is and the other handle would have the package opener, file/ruler and the small serrated blade.  I'm just not sure the small serrated blade would fit in the spot where the can/bottle opener is now. :think:  Any opinions?
[

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:25 AM
They should sell a model designed around personal customization with an included kit of extras

Offline Zatx

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 01:49:48 PM
Shellee actually went out of her way to tell me I shouldn't be taking my Leatherman apart and that it could void the warranty.  The warranty department couldn't figure out how I had gotten the tool apart.

I politely pointed out that the new screws were regular torx heads and as easy to remove as a phillips or flathead screw.

:think:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 03:54:14 PM
I almost bought a Wingman last night until I read some of the things here, especially about the chisel blade differences.  It seems to me they have bitten off more than they can chew and not spending adequate time in R&D.  I keep wanting to give them a chance but to me - they just aren't worth the money.  I just want to know I'm getting a good value for my dollar.  That's why I buy Swiss.
SAW

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:44 PM
To those of you who have researched online as to whether or not the local Home Depot has the Wingman in stock, and they have said "yes", don't waste your time and go to try to buy one, I did yesterday.  All they had was the same old Kick and Surge.  Needless to say, I was PO'd.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:32 PM
Just curious; did they have their Holiday Gifts section up, and did you look there? In my area stores they don't have the Wingman in the normal spot in the tool corral.

To those of you who have researched online as to whether or not the local Home Depot has the Wingman in stock, and they have said "yes", don't waste your time and go to try to buy one, I did yesterday.  All they had was the same old Kick and Surge.  Needless to say, I was PO'd.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 02:53:36 PM
Just curious; did they have their Holiday Gifts section up, and did you look there? In my area stores they don't have the Wingman in the normal spot in the tool corral.

The store is so "willy-nilly" set up, I do not even know if they have a Christmas gift section.  Like I said in an earlier post, when I am in the area, I'll stop by again.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:32 PM
I found mine in the tool corral.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 04:51:36 AM
I have my fix of these new tools and the bad part is, I am already looking forward to the SHOT show next year so we can see more about the rebar and the "other" leatherman tool(s) coming next fall.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%