Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

me the collector -History Victorinox Wenger

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
me the collector -History Victorinox Wenger
on: October 20, 2011, 03:58:54 PM
Hi People

Here is for everybody:

Some researching:

Once again i would like to write a little on some research that i have done with some information regarding Victorinox and Wenger, so keep in mind all the sources, not 100% info.

The Swiss flag got its present shape in 1889 or regulated.

During world war two the factory set up a betriebswehr – local defence, Carl Elsener III`s father told about the possibility of war, Elsener III was 16 years old in 1939 when he started at the factory, cement and iron was very difficult to get during the second world war, they managed to get some from a weapon factory in Bern.
With this they built the 1943 building, this was done to manage the contracts with the army for daggers, bayonets and more. The building`s floor could not be made solid enough for the heavy machines because some stones had to be used instead, I guess the plan was that reinforced steel cement had to be used. We can see the 1953 building in the book Knife and its History.
In another book it is sad that there was plans to sabotage the plant if invasion.
Source:- Books The Swiss and the Nazis, Reflections after the White House.

On June 21 on youtube there was uploaded videos about the Cutlery Hall of Fame with Blade magazine, Carl Elsener III is now in the Hall of fame for his brand and his lifetime work, he will be 90 years old next year. Tim Leatherman tells about him and how much he likes the Swiss Army Knife, then Charles Elsener Jr receives the award for his father. I really recommend looking on these videos. There is much info to get there.

During my research I found that Carl Elsener the III is listed in many patents, also many of the new ones, Memory 58mm, MP3 player, RescueTool, Golftool, Plier head with wirecutter.
Remember that he started working at the factory in 1939 and already in 1950 he was the leader. I found a late 50s patent for a gardener Shears, that may be his.
I am amazed on all he has done and his abilities, he is truly a great man and one of the persons we really can give credit for many of the fantastic producs, Ps have in mind that I found before on Google news archive that the Golftool was invented by two elderly gentlemen that had worked on it for many years….?

1988,Then in Pure Silver I found some on Wenger but to little to work on, it is just to have in mind, Victorinox subcontracted Wenger to take the load of them, since it was not possible to make all the knives needed, further it is sad that Wenger use the same French steel with the same high standards.

I would also recommend to do some research on Opinel and the Swiss Army knife and the things they have in common.

Then an article from 1986 cought my eye, The Swiss made a comeback in the watch industry, in New York Magazine 16th June 1986.
Here is sad that in 1960 there was 2000 watch makers/companies in Switzerland, in 1982 less than 500.
-The reason. Yes from the 70s the Quartz is arrival and then digital watches with LCD liquid crystal display and LED light emitting diodes, the Swiss had to do many steps to turn the development, Swatch with a distinct looks with more than 1 million sold in 1984, remember that Victorinox and Wenger entered in the late 80s.
They made it…..
Also have in mind the collaboration between :
Allgemeine Schweizerische Uhrenindustrie AG ASUAG og Sociètè Suisse Pour I`Industrie Horlogère SSIH.
It was the dawn of the electronix age that really almost put a stop to the Swiss watch..

If we see on Victorinox development during the last years we see more and more electronics, to incorporate new with old, electronics with knives is now mastered at the factory, they are the best in the world!

And on the watches both Wenger and Victorinox is successful…
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:01:42 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

za Offline meanx

Re: me the collector -History Victorinox Wenger
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:23:02 PM
Nice read  :tu:
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:30 PM
Great information.  I had read something similar regarding the Swiss watch industry.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:10:49 PM

Thank you very much!

I can add that Carl Elsener III values is really really, also we know that the company has managed to put  handwork and Swiss Craftmanship combined with industrial mass production that really work, it is the III`s leadership.
I can mentioned that i have done alot of research on the company and its great efforts on environmently sound design, the Tomo fit 100% in it, Also many of its machines is very old, still in use today.
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:27 PM

Hi

A small correction should be 1943 one place there and not 53 :)
Get more tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:48 AM
Thanks for the great information North Man. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%